Holly Sh_t My Ass Is on Fire!?! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
MV1

Angry Holly Sh_t My Ass Is on Fire!?!

Quick question to those that have owned their MV's longer than I (especially to those that live in warmer climates):

Have you experienced any burning sensations under your seats?
If so what the hells going on!?!
I live in the NYC area and we've been getting some warmer weather as of late. In fact it's been in our around the 90's (F) for the last couple of days and is supposed to stay that way for most of this coming week.
I took the bike out Scotrun PA yesterday (about 80 miles away) and while on the way up I felt a lot of heat coming from underneath the seat. As we all most know this is not unusual for these bikes. But what was unusual was the burning smell I picked up on after stopping. Well after investigating further I found most of everything store in the underseat compartment had either burned or melted in someway or another, including the MV tool kit pouch itself, which looks like had actually been on fire briefly before going out by itself, but not before melting the plastic heat shield, meant to protect against this very occurrence.
What gives? Has anyone else had to deal with this? If so what did you do to rectify?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 08:44 PM
Living the Dream

New Site Garage
As everyone else has dealt with just plain heat there are few things you can do, ceramic coat the pipes or wrap them with heat insulation, but for the heat shield to melt it sounds like the pipes are mounted to close to the underside of the seat. there should be some gap so the pipes aren't coming in direct contact with the pan under the seat. i would check the hangers for the exhast and see if you can create some more clearance and maybe stop the melting and fire b/c obviously nothing should ever be on fire outside the cyclinders. Hope this helps but i am sure someone else will give you some more pointers. try and stay cool!!

Get busy livin, or get busy dyin
Motorcycle Art!
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this, going
flat out, than most people live in a lifetime.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
MV1

Lightbulb

I did check the clearance and there clearly is space, but if it's enough, I'm not sure. I'll have to revisit that this week. As far as the coatings are concerned, I don't know. I'm honestly not in love with the way they look, but I did recently rap the header and collector pipes. I also put in one of those heat shield sheets over the muffler assembly. Which is why I was even more suprised to find it had burned through. You'd think it would help, but maybe it made it worse by limiting the free space. I don't know. I guess I need to recheck everything now.
post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 12:13 AM

And I was pissed because my rear brake fluid boiled with the combination of Aussie summer heat and MV engine /exhaust....

Doc
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 12:44 AM
Established Member

shes a hot one!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 04:40 AM
Pimp of posts

Send a message via AIM to spalding12 Send a message via MSN to spalding12 Send a message via Yahoo to spalding12
she SURE is

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spalding12
she SURE is
Agreed
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 07:50 AM

More to follow...but

I led 10 demo rides from 9am-330pm each day at mid-ohio event, each lasting ~12 miles/ 20 minutes in 90 degree heat w/humidity. It was hot snaking bikes out from infield out of facility to street...

Machines were running ~ 220 degrees and lots of heat was coming off to legs and seat. Balls were on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Machines ran fine! AND ONCE RUNNING AT SPEED temp came down to 195, and relief ensued.

Peter

Last edited by Reopropf; 07-31-2006 at 07:56 AM.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 07:52 AM
Pimp of posts

Send a message via AIM to spalding12 Send a message via MSN to spalding12 Send a message via Yahoo to spalding12
peter.....
how was mid ohio and the VMD?

how i wish i could be there

did you see ALEX BENNETT.... the North American director of sales for cagiva, US?

he's the guy i've been touch with about the arrival of the 2007 910Rs

just wondering
do you have any pictures to show us from the event

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 07:53 AM

Still at event....more track time today ....

Will post up a detailed report and pics w/ video upon return.

P

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode