2 blown fuses in last 24 hours - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

2 blown fuses in last 24 hours

This happened on my way home from work yesterday and on my way to work this morning. Basically the left most fuse (should be the A-1) blew, rendering the bike dead w/ a dark instrumentation panel. I am now really good at removing the right side fairing, even on the side of a highway.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem? The A-1 appears to be the cooling fan fuse. The previous owner has upgraded to the muzzy aluminum fans. Is there a location in the wiring that may be prone to shorts?

Any help would be suggested. While I can fix the problem in 5 minutes flat, it's no fun to change the fuse everyday just to get to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 04:14 PM

do you have a service manual. It tells you the proper routing of the wires from the fan. Maybe the heat caused them to melt and short out.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 05:39 PM

Check that the wires to the cooling fan is not touching against the headers. Mine burnt the outer layer of the wire and I resolder them. You might want to orient the fan motor so the cables are facing to the right rather than downwards and cable tie them down.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!!
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

The bike died on my way home again. I used the last spare fuse and made it home.

This is my theory. When the bike overheats, it blows the A-1 fuse in order to save the bike. I don't know what my temp was when the fuse blown, but in traffic my temp reached 235F and the temp gauge started to blink. IIRC, 240F seems to be the limit. I pulled the bike over to let it cool, and then was able to reach home eventually.

Does that make sense? It kind of explains why it's the cooling fan fuse that blows, rather than any other fuse, such as the actual instrumentation panel one.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 09:09 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
So the Muzzy fan blades don't work?

I don't think it should be blowing the fuse. A greater load is being place on the circuit than it was designed to take. Maybe it is a short. Maybe something is causing some interference with the fans and the power it takes to turn them causes the fuse to blow.

You could check by removing the fairings, unplugging the fans and letting the bike idle until it gets up to that 235 level. Perhaps you will be able to see what is going on.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 09:16 PM

Or your cooling fan itself is stuck or internal short putting a load on the fuse. Do you even hear the fan kicking in?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 F4S full Ohlins,RG3 full exhaust, custom tuned by FBF
[COLOR=darkred]
2002 Ducati 998
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyangeles View Post
Or your cooling fan itself is stuck or internal short putting a load on the fuse. Do you even hear the fan kicking in?
Yes. I can hear the fan at stop lights and while parked.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ww73 View Post
Yes. I can hear the fan at stop lights and while parked.
Then like Everyone said " cooling fan harness it rubbing against the radiator or something metal or melted the insulation causing hot wire arching with ground wire. Fully inspect the cooling fan harness and keep it away from the radiator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 F4S full Ohlins,RG3 full exhaust, custom tuned by FBF
[COLOR=darkred]
2002 Ducati 998
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 10:49 PM

I blew two fan fuses today (F4312R). No fan. Bike overheated.

minime... a quick check and the wiring harness was resting slightly against the cylinder head! Have clipped the harness up and away to the frame. A test in the garage letting the bike get hot and the fan came on without blowing a fuse. A test down the road is what I really need but hopefully the clipping of the harness will solve the problem. Thanks for the tip.

ww73... According to the F4312R schematic, the A-1 fuse is the "Display - Speed Sensor - Horn - Parking Lights". Perhaps check to see if the harness is getting fried by the heads or headers?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 11:28 PM

Check your fan relay.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode