Sorting out my 06 F4 1000 S - MVAgusta.net
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Sorting out my 06 F4 1000 S

I picked up an 06 F4 1000 S with 9800 miles and going front to back in an effort to learn the machine and establish confidence in the machine. I'd appreciate so guidance on the following:

Overall, any good recommendations for a dealer/distributor who can reliably supply OE MV parts to the US? I'm more interested in good customer service and less concerned about the cheapest, but I also don't want to buy from the most expensive place

Brake/clutch lines: I've ordered some Goodridge lines to replace the factory lines, but after searching about the interwebs, I'm suspecting the front lines will show up with the wrong ends (axial vs radial calipers)...we will see. Nothing is wrong with factory lines, just some discoloring of the outer sleeves so it's mainly a cosmetic change.

Brake rotors: I see there are 310mm vs 320mm ODs between the axial and radial caliper machines, mine has the axial calipers, of course. I'd like to get a fresh set of front rotors that are either OE replacements or Braking brand wavy rotors, but I havent found confirmation Braking offers front rotors to fit the axial calipers.

Brake caliper/master parts: I want to rebuild the internals and need a source for the parts....I'll buy from anywhere just want good parts.

Tune: the bike has a Fast by Ferracci exhaust and was supposed to also have been tuned back in 2006 for the setup, but I'm not sure how to best identify what may have been done. I'd like to 1) learn what it has currently, 2) confirm she is mechanically dialed in 3)further refine the tune if possible (low rpm/load conditions are not too smooth)

What recommendations do you guys have? Thanks!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2006 MV Agusta F4 1000 S
2018 KTM Superduke 1290 R
2008 Audi RS4 build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 Honda Odyssey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Additionally, I'll be replacing cooling fan/s as I know the lower fan has some slightly melted blades. I've read many posts on metal blades or Ducati 1098 fan alternatives, but I have yet to find part numbers for what others have used successfully. Any technical details would be a big help there as most info I have found has been general statements rather than specific PNs or dimensional/tech info.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2006 MV Agusta F4 1000 S
2008 Audi RS4 build
:

2000 Honda Odyssey
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 05:05 AM

Microtec fir tuning. Radial fork bottoms, calipers, 320mm rotors, and 19rcs master would be a very nice upgrade. Or go with the later front end.

2009 F4 RR 1078 312
2005 F4 Tamboweenie
2005 F4 1000S
1999 Aprilia RS50
1996 Ducati 916
1959 MV Agusta TREL 125 Centomila

PAST - 2013 F4RR, 2008 F4 312R, 2005 F4 1000S, 1999 F4 750 S
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 09:43 AM

Motor bikes of Charlotte still services Mv and the Ducshop in Atlanta also. Speigler will make brake lines to fit and EBC should have replacement pads
esq'z me likes this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 10:12 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Haul it to DucShop for a dyno tune.... Mark knows his stuff. Also a MV dealer and is as good as it gets for parts supply in the USA.

I'm going to guess yours has a 1.6M ECU and a Ferraci chip.....maybe a PowerCommander too?

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 10:12 AM

New Site Garage
Welcome to the forum. Lots of great info on here. I see that I am just an hr south of you.
esq'z me likes this.

MV Agusta F4 Superleggera (Mona Lisa)
MV Agusta F3 Ago 2015
MV Agusta F4 1000 Senna #25
Ducati 1098 2009
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 10:16 AM

New Site Garage
Not sure how to tell if it has been tuned. You would have the older ECU on it which I think could of been flashed. My guess would be that the TPS was reset for the exhaust. The dealer in Charlotte can service bikes if needed. You will need the ducshop in Atlanta to tune.

MV Agusta F4 Superleggera (Mona Lisa)
MV Agusta F3 Ago 2015
MV Agusta F4 1000 Senna #25
Ducati 1098 2009
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 10:13 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricZ View Post
I picked up an 06 F4 1000 S with 9800 miles and going front to back in an effort to learn the machine and establish confidence in the machine. I'd appreciate so guidance on the following:

Overall, any good recommendations for a dealer/distributor who can reliably supply OE MV parts to the US? I'm more interested in good customer service and less concerned about the cheapest, but I also don't want to buy from the most expensive place

Brake/clutch lines: I've ordered some Goodridge lines to replace the factory lines, but after searching about the interwebs, I'm suspecting the front lines will show up with the wrong ends (axial vs radial calipers)...we will see. Nothing is wrong with factory lines, just some discoloring of the outer sleeves so it's mainly a cosmetic change.

Brake rotors: I see there are 310mm vs 320mm ODs between the axial and radial caliper machines, mine has the axial calipers, of course. I'd like to get a fresh set of front rotors that are either OE replacements or Braking brand wavy rotors, but I havent found confirmation Braking offers front rotors to fit the axial calipers.

Brake caliper/master parts: I want to rebuild the internals and need a source for the parts....I'll buy from anywhere just want good parts.

Tune: the bike has a Fast by Ferracci exhaust and was supposed to also have been tuned back in 2006 for the setup, but I'm not sure how to best identify what may have been done. I'd like to 1) learn what it has currently, 2) confirm she is mechanically dialed in 3)further refine the tune if possible (low rpm/load conditions are not too smooth)
EricZ;
Why is it that almost every Newbie wants to rebuild their damn brakes??????
Do they leak? Is the fluid turning black? If no "Leave sleeping dogs lie"
LEARN HOW TO CORRECTLY BLEED THEM
I have almost 200,000mi on the rears on my '66 El Camino, have I looked at them? No.....Why?
If you did some research, you'd know all 1st Gen MVs use the same dimension front wheels, there are 2 widths of rear wheels
No shit, lots of Ducati discs fit MVs......you want the silly wavy rotors.....Call Braking and end the mystery

Your bike has a 1.6M ECU, it uses a chip......you a fuel injection programmer? If not, go to the top of the Performance Section
and contact merc07 (Adam) tell him what you have, he'll burn you a chip, plug and play, get his free diagnostic software too
You have to buy the cables

Fans, Muzzy is no longer selling metal fan blades....
For a 3rd fan everyone uses Ducati fans.....there are lefts and rights, doesn't matter, you have to make new mounts anyway
The threads are "Fanzilla" and "Son of Fanzilla"
Here are 2 cooling systems
2 stock fans 1 Ducati
3 Ducati fans
Attached Images

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Haul it to DucShop for a dyno tune.... Mark knows his stuff. Also a MV dealer and is as good as it gets for parts supply in the USA.

I'm going to guess yours has a 1.6M ECU and a Ferraci chip.....maybe a PowerCommander too?
Thanks for the recommendations. Yes, it has the 1.6M ECU but no Power Commander. I'll pull the ECU to see if the chip has been swapped. From what I have read online, there should be a rubber plug to pull and see inside the ECU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
Why is it that almost every Newbie wants to rebuild their damn brakes??????
Do they leak? Is the fluid turning black? If no "Leave sleeping dogs lie"
LEARN HOW TO CORRECTLY BLEED THEM
I have almost 200,000mi on the rears on my '66 El Camino, have I looked at them? No.....Why?
If you did some research, you'd know all 1st Gen MVs use the same dimension front wheels, there are 2 widths of rear wheels
No shit, lots of Ducati discs fit MVs......you want the silly wavy rotors.....Call Braking and end the mystery
The front calipers need rebuilding since the pistons continue to stick after multiple cleanings and cycling thru their travel + the RH caliper is weeping from one of the piston seals.
I KNOW HOW TO PROPERLY BLEED BRAKES Congrats on your El Camino - Did you get a trophy?
I'm aware the front wheels are the across many years, but this provides only part of the answer to the brake rotor question. What is the rotor offset, thickness, etc? I can measure all of this myself, but why do work if someone else has already done it? Again, I'm interested in discs identical to OE (and a source) -or- PNs for Braking brand wavy rotors that will work with the stock 06 front end. If anyone can provide PNs or a link, that's what I'm looking for.

Quote:
Your bike has a 1.6M ECU, it uses a chip......you a fuel injection programmer? If not, go to the top of the Performance Section
and contact merc07 (Adam) tell him what you have, he'll burn you a chip, plug and play, get his free diagnostic software too
You have to buy the cables
I have a lot of tuning experience with motorcycles & cars, so the tuning is not an issue for me. Before I dig into if and how the tune needs to change, I want to understand what hardware I'm starting with and where it came from. Thanks for recommending merc07. I'll reach out to him to see what insight he can provide on my current setup and what tuning software is available.

Quote:
Fans, Muzzy is no longer selling metal fan blades....
For a 3rd fan everyone uses Ducati fans.....there are lefts and rights, doesn't matter, you have to make new mounts anyway
I've seen the Muzzy fans are no longer. Looks like I'll read those Fanzilla threads and go from there, thanks for those. Maybe I'll just make my own.
esq'z me likes this.

2006 MV Agusta F4 1000 S
2008 Audi RS4 build
:

2000 Honda Odyssey
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 04:24 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

Eric;
Where do I start?......
Your caliper assembly bolts a unevenly torqued, the pistons are hitting the pads at an angle, that's why they're sticking
My 4 pad Brembos did the same thing, one bolt destroyed 2 T40 Torx bits, I drilled it out

Looking at the chip in the ECU doesn't tell you fuck all......you need to read the chip .....it's written in binary code 1s and 0s
You don't know if the chip has been reflashed either

Tuning the bike......a dyno won't help you, all you can change is TPS and TB sync everything is on the chip,
OK, there's a trimmer screw that richens or leans the entire map but thats not tuning either

You need a data logger and someone thst can look at your files and rewrite the maps and reflash a chip for you
The chips aren't encrypted, so it's not like hacking the Siemens ECU on an Aprilia RSVR which has major encryption,
With them you need a $2,400 Axone and the secret password......yes, it violates Federal law
Yes, I have one
Everything on the chip is written starting on line 8,000........dick heads

I sent my chips to Adam for him to read......he built a data logger that he sells
Here's my data logger, look what it logs plus any sensors I want to hook up
Comes with an accelerometer built in, got that on a dyno?
FBF chip I sent to Adam
My Quadrajet jet block......you can buy the main jets, but nothing else, break down a couple thousand carbs at the junk yard
Result? The Air Resources Board referee said everything I did was illegal.......but passed me anyway, because it blew 4.5%
of what's allowed.......22.9 mpg city/highway, done with a vacuum gauge and ass dyno
Better than my Brutale in the city
Attached Images

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Last edited by theknurl; 12-12-2019 at 04:27 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode