MV Agusta Forum banner

F4 1000R oil leak

5K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  mitchy 
#1 ·
I noticed oil from a drip under the bike that looked like it was coming from the heat exchanger.

Out came the tools and tightend up that bolt in the middle of the heat exchanger, which stopped that leak.

While running the bike to check for other leaks i noticed a very slow drip. It looked like it was coming from a bolt located between the heat exchanger and the oil filter.

Does anyone know what that is or how to stop this leak ? I'm tempted to just throw a spanner on it and see what happens but thought i had better know what I am dealing with first.

Thanks for any help you can give me. :smile2:

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
George,

Have a look at the clip in the pic for your heat exchanger. Shouldn't it be clipped down and not floating? That's a separate issue but take a look anyway.

#11 ·
George is it leaking from the heat exchanger like this thread suggests which is quite common.
It could be leaking from the top and running across and then down onto the bolt you showed.

https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/20-ma...ange-area.html

Certainly possible Mitch...I will investigate

George is it leaking from the heat exchanger like this thread suggests which is quite common.
It could be leaking from the top and running across and then down onto the bolt you showed.

https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/20-ma...ange-area.html

Another Possible source. I will check it out

George,

Have a look at the clip in the pic for your heat exchanger. Shouldn't it be clipped down and not floating? That's a separate issue but take a look anyway.

Yes it should. I intentionally left it undone so that I could check for leaks after tightening the center bolt.

#15 ·
We have already mentioned that.
George is going to check the exchanger to see if it is loose,which is normally what happens.
If tightening doesn't fix it,he may have to remove the exchanger and replace the seal.
That's if where the oil leak is.
The leak may even be higher on the motor.

#17 ·
Finally had a day off to have a look.

I believe the leak is coming from the bottom of the oil delivery pipe.
I can't be 100% sure because visual confirmation is restricted by access. however a small leak here would certainly appear on the bolt in the photo's I originally posted.

https://shop.startwintrading.com/en/products/f4/new-folder-31/lubrication-system-55

From the above link i am thinking I need part 17, and maybe 18.
part 16 is the bolt the oil is appearing on in the photo.

Has anyone had any experience replacing this ?
I'm guessing the Radiator and headers have to come off to gain access, probably the heat exchanger unit as well.

I am open to all tips and tricks that may make this easier.

Thanks for all the help so far :)

#22 ·
Update for those interested

After removing exhaust headers and radiators I checked all bolts from the heat exchanger, none were loose.

Next I removed the oil delivery pipe and replaced the O ring from both ends, I was able to source these from a local bearing shop for less than a dollar :)

Put the old girl back together

Fresh oil

Filled the radiator with distilled water so I don't waste coolant if I have to drain her again.

Fired her up....oil leak gone.

I'm not usually this lucky, but hey, i'll take the win!:drummer::drummer::drummer:

Thanks to all who offered suggestions

This really is a great forum:smile2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.