Do Iwant an F4? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Do Iwant an F4?

I had a Brutale 910s for a while. It was a great bike and I really enjoyed except for 2 aspects: the 'light switch' throttle at low rpm and the overly stiff suspension. I could live with the suspension, but the snatchy throttle made me crazy. I tried removing the extra spring and all that, but nothing worked and I eventually sold it.

I'm still a huge MV fan and have always loved the F4. I'm considering an '05 1000s. Am I likely to find the EFI mapping as bad as the Brutale?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 11:26 PM

Having never ridden a Brutale I dont know.

There will be fueling issues with that model unless you spend some serious dough getting an ecu upgrade, exhaust (not required but I would recommend it) and probably some proper tuneup.

2007 Senna #148/300
2012 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fess View Post
I eventually sold it.
That's just crazy talk.

All joking aside, I'm sure you'll find the throttle issue exactly the same. If it bothered you that much, I'm sure it'll bother you again unless having sold the Brutale, you realize that you love everything else about the bike more than you hate the throttle.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 12:01 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
I have an 05 and a Brutale. The throttle on the Brutale was very grabby. To compensate for it I dropped from 43t in back to 41t and I have to say it feels much more like the 05 1000.

You can always adjust the suspension to make it feel softer.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 10:44 AM
Big Randaddy

[quote=suryad;277444]Having never ridden a Brutale I dont know. /quote]

......and that, my friend, is the root of most of your problems.......

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 11:59 AM
Banned

So

perhaps the Brutale! is the way ahead

but yes its good to have both

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 01:02 PM

[QUOTE=Randarosa;277527]
Quote:
Originally Posted by suryad View Post
Having never ridden a Brutale I dont know. /quote]

......and that, my friend, is the root of most of your problems.......
lol if there was a dealer then i wouldnt have that problem now would i

2007 Senna #148/300
2012 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 08:24 AM

you'd rather go for a 1000R (Euro2) no cat with a race ECU but careful those bikes don't like traffic at all
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 11:03 AM
lee

The throttle on my F4 is very smooth and not at all grabby or snatchy. There is a surge @ 3000 rpm but it's the engine, not the throttle.

Having been a Brutale owner kindly keep in mind that the F4 is alot more bike in several areas not the least of which is it's "chick draw" factor. They'll be all over you which is why it's soooo much more performance oriented. So you can get away before they tear your clothes off.

I got mine. Boy do I ever got mine.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fess View Post
I had a Brutale 910s for a while. It was a great bike and I really enjoyed except for 2 aspects: the 'light switch' throttle at low rpm and the overly stiff suspension. I could live with the suspension, but the snatchy throttle made me crazy. I tried removing the extra spring and all that, but nothing worked and I eventually sold it.

I'm still a huge MV fan and have always loved the F4. I'm considering an '05 1000s. Am I likely to find the EFI mapping as bad as the Brutale?
First off, you shouldn't have to "live with" anything you dislike about a bike (any bike). The suspension is harsh as delivered but has enough adjustability to make it more compliant without spending any money. You just have to turn some clickers and find what you like. If you want to spend some money you can buy a new shock and have the forks reworked for more compliance, although the Marzocchi's are less known and are more difficult to get things like different spring rates.

As far as the throttle goes, that is also fixable. I found on my F4-1000R that there are a couple of things that really helped the low opening sensitivity. Fuelling is the biggest thing with the bike being very lean on the bottom. Enrichening the fuel mixture (you can do this with the idle co% trim adjustment) will make the sensitive throttle much more forgiving and easier to ride. You will pay a price somewhere though because it will change the entire fuel curve a little (because the trim adjustment is basically the zero point for the fuel map on the open loop systems) but it isn't that noticeable. Second is the throttle cable free play. My bike was delivered with a ton of slack in the cable which I immediately adjusted out. This also makes it easier to transition on-off throttle. The last bit is the final drive lash which is adjusted out by keeping the chain adjusted. it only takes a couple of minutes to adjust the chain, so adjusting it every couple thousand miles isn't a big deal.

So to answer your question, get the MV if you are willing to deal with the problems you know are, will or can be there-they are well documented here on this site. Otherwise, I would get something else which may have it's own set of issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode