Fuel line connector seal UK - Page 2 - MVAgusta.net
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 02:38 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
What most are missing or ignoring in this conversation is the effect of ethanol. Gasoline is not the problem.
Not really, Viton is suitable for Ethanol;
Quoted from above

"This gives Fluorocarbon a superior performance in Ethanol/Methanol blended gasoline."

Personally I don't use Ethanol fuel in my bikes, in the UK Esso Super unleaded is ethanol free in most areas as well as being higher octane and cleaner than regular unleaded.

None of the above was stated to start a quarrel btw, I tend to research everything meticulously and I use Viton myself and didn't want anyone to be misled into thinking it's inferior or unsuitable for this application.

Cheers
Nito
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 05:43 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
It is becoming increasingly difficult to find ethanol free fuel...especially in the US.

I am also an advocate for Viton and it is the recommended seal fro ethanol fuels by the manufacturer of the quick disconnects....CPC
Nito likes this.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 08:29 AM
Established Member

Viton has excellent resistance to Ethanol. Gasoline (Petrol) can actually be a problem, especially with the higher octane fuels, which have additives like toluene etc, these are highly aggressive to some rubber compounds, like Nitrile. Which is why vehicle manufacturers were compelled to specify fuel hoses, O rings, seals etc to be Viton or an equally resistant compound. Even winter diesel, and biodiesel fuels need vition lined hose, because of additives and ethanol.
Nito likes this.

INTERNAL COMBUSTION RECREATION FOREVER
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 08:32 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nito View Post
Personally I don't use Ethanol fuel in my bikes, in the UK Esso Super unleaded is ethanol free in most areas as well as being higher octane and cleaner than regular unleaded.
Thanks, I didn't know that! Although, I can't recall the last time I saw an Esso station around my area (Worcestershire). Ethanol is a scourge, nasty, horrible stuff!!

INTERNAL COMBUSTION RECREATION FOREVER
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 09:29 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutant View Post
Thanks, I didn't know that! Although, I can't recall the last time I saw an Esso station around my area (Worcestershire). Ethanol is a scourge, nasty, horrible stuff!!
Shell V Power is also devoid of Ethanol. BP Ultimate also allegedly, unless you live in Devon, Dorset or Cornwall.

For some reason, the Esso one is also Ethanol free except for in Devon, Cornwall, Teeside and Scotland!! Go figure! Must be something political in that, those regions probably provide the ethanol lol!

Some of them publish this on their websites, certainly Esso, a group member on the ZXR facebook page actually tested Shell V Power and Esso SUL and provided photos.

Basically, it's a requirement for Unleaded to contain Ethanol, but no such requirement exists for Super. Some of the pumps may still say E5 on them but it's a bit like food manufacturers saying goods may contain nut extracts! My Diavel has a decal on the tank saying E5 and E10 however I 'll stick to the good stuff thanks
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 05:17 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

Better?
Use what ever you want.......I'll use the $0.32 fuel pump plate O-rings thank you
Here's the Federal-Mogul fluid compatibility chart for gasoline and ethanol
Attached Images

Nito likes this.

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 03:29 AM
Established Member

How old is that chart? Judging by the font, it looks like the 70's

Here's another one attached.

Ethanol is the bottom line in this snippet. Paints a different picture to the above chart you posted. Bottom line, we're all screwed for Ethanol (-Viton FKM marginal, Buna N not recommended-) and must all change to Viton Extreme ETP with immediate effect

Of course that would be 100% ethanol!

Source website full of info: Compatibility Chart for elastomers, chemicals beginning with E
Attached Images

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 12:18 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

Nito;
You need to understand recommended vehicle maintenance and parts replacement intervals
The Manufacturer and stealerships want you to come in like good little sheep and get fleeced
Their object is to sell you as much overpriced crap as possible, as fast as they can get you in

You really think you need to replace Iridium spark plugs at 7,500mi????they go 80,000-100,000mi in cars
How about chain and sprockets at 3,800mi on an Oro?????
I'm at over 38,000mi on the original chain and sprockets......they should go 45,000mi, I already have the replacements
I buy Wellnuts for $0.40-0.60......I have more than the dealer and they want $2.60 each
They won't sell hub parts but want you to buy one at 22,500mi.......I'll sell you the 3810-2RS bearing for $34 + shipping

When I started out there were 2 sizes of radiator caps......
Look at this mess......and that's not all of them......the SnapOn catalogue of the test adapters they make
Attached Images

Nito likes this.

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 03:29 AM
Established Member

Hi Noel,

I agree with all of that, I'm with you and it's why I do all the maintenance on my bikes myself, including maintaining a full photographic history of each bike on my own blog website which I can refer to at any time. Fantastic mileage out of your sprockets by the way, I've not managed anywhere near that but then I do live on twisty country lanes!

When it comes to fuel, or oil and even tyres for that matter, I'm prepared to push the boat out a bit for my own peace of mind. I paid 84 pence for the Viton seal so for me it was a no brainer, I believe it's a superior product for the application and should give me an extended replacement interval. Price has increased to a 1 a seal now.

Just to keep all the info on this thread for the op, the part no for the Viton (Fluorocarbon) seal for the CPC LC connector is here;
https://www.tom-parker.co.uk/product...n/779/c731104/

Cheers
Nito

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode