May Have Lost Engine - MVAgusta.net
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

May Have Lost Engine

2007 F41000R with only 12k miles on it. Been gently used for the past 6 years that I've owned it. Rode to work today and while coming home on the interstate, rolling around 80 mph the engine suddenly died. Didn't hear anything particularly bad but I didn't have my earplugs in so the wind noise pretty much blocked everything. Waited 3 hours for AAA to arrive with one of their nifty motorcycle-only recovery trucks. Got home and first thing I checked was the fuel pump and hoses. Everything looks good: pump cycles and shuts off, no fuel pumping around inside the tank. All gauges and electrics appear normal and the engine cranks but won't fire and also sounds a little funny when cranking. Afraid I lost the cam chain but with such a low mileage motor plus the upgraded cam chain tensioner done by the previous owner it seems strange.

Any advice/tips will be appreciated. I'll start investigating tomorrow but with another bike on my lift table undergoing an engine rebuild, I'll be limited to what I can do with the bike on the ground.

Day started out great and ended up sucking big time!

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 12:06 AM

The oil will tell a lot.
esq'z me likes this.

F4 750 with Brutale 910S motor
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 12:20 AM

Greetings Eric,

First, check the usual, your engine is most likely fine.

1. battery age and strength
2. clean terminal and engine grounding point
3. side stand switch

Questions to ask yourself regardless
1. Fuel line age
2. Injector line age
3. Fuel filter age/miles
4. Clean fuel pump screen
5. Pull, inspect and reseat all your fuses

E d w a r d B4910s08

Public Service Announcement
Tools > User CP > Your Profile > Edit Your details > Additional Information > Location
Bike Model/s
Tools > User CP > Settings & Options > Edit Signature

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 04:53 AM

Let the oil out and go from there, if its ok, continue the checklist.

You said you hear abnormal noise on startup?
esq'z me likes this.

F4 750 with Brutale 910S motor
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 02:43 PM

Well, I would think the rattle of the cam chain would bring you to write about that first and not the that you have lights. Odd noise, Ummm it would be greater than an odd noise to end up finding the aftermath in your oil. A slapping chain most likely would have been heard at the start of your ride before a catastrophic moment occurred with munched metal bits. Keep in mind 'most' mv engines crank and start rather quickly. When they don't one can tune into noises as trouble but in reality, most likely, they are normal cranking noises. A clear rattle is not normal. A whine is not normal. If the mod was made by someone lacking skills and understanding well then... yea drain that oil. Anyway, you have some checking to do.

Adding this relating to cam:
https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/13-br...tml#post278418

E d w a r d B4910s08

Tools > User CP > Your Profile > Edit Your details > Additional Information > Location
Bike Model/s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Edward; 07-21-2019 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Adding thread about cam chain mishap bending valve.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

A quick update: I haven't been able to do much checking but I can say that when cranking there aren't any funny noises coming from the engine but it does seem to spin fast. Of course since it normally starts right away I don't have a baseline for comparison. Also, all electrics function normally: sidestand light and everything else. Could be ignition related since the fuel pump is operating normally. I'll start checking fuses soon.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to do much else until I get the bike up on my lift table. Bad knees won't allow me to work down low these days!

I've read the threads about the cam sprockets shearing their retaining bolts and am hoping that's not my problem. I'd think there would be some serious noise coming from the motor when cranking if this were the problem but not having experienced it before I could be wrong.

Thanks for the support and advice.

Eric
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 08:45 PM

If you can take your time, protect your knees! We are all here so no worries.

E d w a r d B4910s08

Bike Model/s

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 06:08 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Before you do anything brash.... pull the pump out and check the hoses. What you experienced (sudden power loss while cruising) is exactly what happened to me one day...and it was the fuel hose coming off the pump. Hard to really tell by just looking into the gas cap.
theknurl and Ducati23 like this.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
The Following User Says Thank You to esq'z me For This Useful Post:
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 01:50 PM

New Site Garage
2007 sounds like euro 3, check cam sensor/connections. without signal will not start

4,5Mg~3Al~2Ti~Fe

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 06:02 AM
Established Member

Definitely sounds like an electric problem to me. Unfortunately they can be some of the hardest to diagnose. I’m not familiar with the MV but from experience with other bikes It sounds like it’s getting fuel so I would be looking at sensors, ignition and safety cut off switches such as side stand switch etc as they trigger ignition inhibitors which would cut the engine out. I’d also be checking coil pack wiring and ht leads for secureness in the first instance, then check the coil packs are receiving a signal and ignition fuses.) do you have an alarm/immob fitted? Could be playing up, it’s not uncommon.

Good luck
Nito

Last edited by Nito; 07-27-2019 at 06:10 AM.

Tags
engine cut off

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode