TT, Datatool 4 crap, Powercommander and Ade :-) - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

TT, Datatool 4 crap, Powercommander and Ade :-)

Hi All,

I must say a big thanks to Ade! The man is a star

The quick tale of woe is this....

My bike was fitted with a Datatool 4 which has caused me constant problems EVERY time I wash the bike, ie it immobilised itself - and yes, it was fitted by an MV dealer on purchasing and before collection.

So, I'm over at the Island, I've done 2 early morning laps over the mountain course (0600 - nice and quiet, all the idiots are still asleep drunk) pulls back in the camp site and parks up. 3 hours later goes to go out on the bike, - nothing. Immobiliser wont work, bike wont do anything. Then wooooo woooo wooo, the dreaded DS4 alarm. Funnily enough, every bloody alarm/immobiliser that was causing problems, from before the Ferry,on the Ferry and over on the island??? DS4's. Now I'm not (as Kilroy Silk nicely put) suggesting that ALL datatool 4's are faulty, but all faulty alarms were datatool 4's.

So, after 3 1/2 hours of annoying my campsite I phoned Ade. He came over and he eventually managed to remove the bloody cancerous datatool. It got dropped into a bin far away from my camp site thats for sure.

So, off we both go for a ride out out. I get to Ramsey.... bike turns over but wont start, but it had started to misfire 2 -3 cylinders then 4 and nearly bucking me off, on the way there.

After pushing the bike round to Dave Hagons AND a free cup of tea and no charge for anything used (another big thanks ) we eventually unplugged the PC3 from the bike harness after much head scratching.

PC3 is off, Datatool is off, 30 mins on a battery charger.... turn the key and BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRUUMMM! She fires up no problems at all

Dave added his advice that this was a known problem on PC3's and that his personal view on Datatool alarms.

I must agree, I completely agree with his and Ades views on the same bits of kit, bearing in mind I have been through 4 new batteries. Now I have no problem at all - so I am a happy camper.

So the moral is, keep Ades phone number - he's better than the AA or RAC hahaha. Honestly.

All the best,

Hoppy

THANKS ADE AND DAVE

F4 1000R
Louder, faster and fixed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The bike wants me to miss the TT but I'm not going to let it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 02:33 AM

credit paid where credit is due. good work team!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 03:14 AM

nice work. I have a similiar story as it happens with the Datatool 4. I could never disarm it in a built up area. Sometimes i would try for ages pressing the buttons and shooting at the bike from every different angle but nothing. Then once i rode down to Eastbourne with a friend parked up and stayed for the day. Went to go home that afternoon and nothing, could not start that bike for love nor money. So I push the bike about 400 yards up to the main road to try and get some clearer air, still nothing. After considering leaving the bike there and jumping on the back of my mates a car drives past. The guy gets out and asks what the problem was. I told him half the story not really thinking hes gonna be able to help.......20 mins later he's back from his house with soldering iron and wire cutters, the alarms completely out of the loom and floating out to sea! The guy was an ex alarm fitter for a bike shop. what are the chances of that! I think these guys are sent from above - the MV angels!!!!
Turns out Datatool alarms are pretty much the only alarms that suffer from interference, they operate on a low frequency or something which means things like broadband wireless internet and any other signal can mess them up. terrific.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 05:06 AM

Lightbulb My Pleasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargateuser View Post
Hi All,

I must say a big thanks to Ade! The man is a star

The quick tale of woe is this....

My bike was fitted with a Datatool 4 which has caused me constant problems EVERY time I wash the bike, ie it immobilised itself - and yes, it was fitted by an MV dealer on purchasing and before collection.

So, I'm over at the Island, I've done 2 early morning laps over the mountain course (0600 - nice and quiet, all the idiots are still asleep drunk) pulls back in the camp site and parks up. 3 hours later goes to go out on the bike, - nothing. Immobiliser wont work, bike wont do anything. Then wooooo woooo wooo, the dreaded DS4 alarm. Funnily enough, every bloody alarm/immobiliser that was causing problems, from before the Ferry,on the Ferry and over on the island??? DS4's. Now I'm not (as Kilroy Silk nicely put) suggesting that ALL datatool 4's are faulty, but all faulty alarms were datatool 4's.

So, after 3 1/2 hours of annoying my campsite I phoned Ade. He came over and he eventually managed to remove the bloody cancerous datatool. It got dropped into a bin far away from my camp site thats for sure.

So, off we both go for a ride out out. I get to Ramsey.... bike turns over but wont start, but it had started to misfire 2 -3 cylinders then 4 and nearly bucking me off, on the way there.

After pushing the bike round to Dave Hagons AND a free cup of tea and no charge for anything used (another big thanks ) we eventually unplugged the PC3 from the bike harness after much head scratching.

PC3 is off, Datatool is off, 30 mins on a battery charger.... turn the key and BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRUUMMM! She fires up no problems at all

Dave added his advice that this was a known problem on PC3's and that his personal view on Datatool alarms.

I must agree, I completely agree with his and Ades views on the same bits of kit, bearing in mind I have been through 4 new batteries. Now I have no problem at all - so I am a happy camper.

So the moral is, keep Ades phone number - he's better than the AA or RAC hahaha. Honestly.

All the best,

Hoppy

THANKS ADE AND DAVE

It was a pleasure meeting up with you Hoppy and helping a brother in need on "Home Turf"!!

Personally I secretly think that you engineered the whole affair when you saw I was riding the mighty RS Aprilia!!

LOL

Anyway I'm real glad all is good with the 1000R now, and for what its worth I'll bet there was nothing wrong with your battery on all the previous occasions either, just the DT 4 being a pain in the arse
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Banned

Thumbs up another good deed

nice one ade
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 06:54 AM

In the past I've heard a lot of stories about Datatools alarms and interference. Everything from mobile phone towers to electricity sub-stations. However, all radio spectrum usage is legislated for different applications, so I don't imagine they're using frequencies too dissimilar to other alarm manufacturers, so perhaps the problem is not isolated to Datatool?

FWIW, I have a Datatool and I've never had a problem with it anywhere. But I did have to remove it once when diagnosing a starting problem (turned out to be a fuel pump short) and I was surprised at how easy it was to isolate and remove a supposedly dealer-fitted "unremovable" immobiliser.

Si
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 07:08 AM

Unhappy Once is enough!!

They only give you a problem once!!..................Then you are in the shit big time if you haven't access to some tools or some knowledge.

Mr average is bollloxed when his goes wrong.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatWhisperer View Post
In the past I've heard a lot of stories about Datatools alarms and interference. Everything from mobile phone towers to electricity sub-stations. However, all radio spectrum usage is legislated for different applications, so I don't imagine they're using frequencies too dissimilar to other alarm manufacturers, so perhaps the problem is not isolated to Datatool?

FWIW, I have a Datatool and I've never had a problem with it anywhere. But I did have to remove it once when diagnosing a starting problem (turned out to be a fuel pump short) and I was surprised at how easy it was to isolate and remove a supposedly dealer-fitted "unremovable" immobiliser.

Si
Yes, it's true. You could never (unless you were an expert fitter) remove the Datatool 3 from my GSXR. It is part of the loom now, a proper factory fit unlike the MV one. The MV one is just like a Power commander. Rubbish considering it's an alarm/immobiliser.

Now I have also heard that Datatool *know* that some D4's have a problem, (AA man told me) he's attended a few D4 *immobilisations* on the road.

Allegedly, Datatool ask for the faulty device and "replace the mother board" - how they do that in a potted and sealed unit I'll never know - but does Mr Average know that? probably not.

So, when/if you get the fault, they replace it nice and quietly, and do not admit there is a known problem. So if there isn't a problem why do they change it no questions asked?

Over to you Datatool....

F4 1000R
Louder, faster and fixed

The bike wants me to miss the TT but I'm not going to let it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode