Spark plug change out - eye opening experience. - MVAgusta.net
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Spark plug change out - eye opening experience.

My 2005 F4 keeps dropping a cylinder while riding (randomly). My first instinct was to swap out the plugs. I’ve never worked on my bike, as it’s completely new to me this year. As I began removing everything, it became apparent to me how different these bikes are from their Japanese counterparts.
#1). Integrated seat and a rear cowl that hinges up (doesn’t come off). Interesting. Held on by two plastic pins with rubber caps?!? Really interesting!
#2). Fuel tank has one bolt and fits neatly to really sweet air box (all plastic and perfect aesthetic match to metal gas tank). I really like the use of the two supports on either side of the tank against the frame.
#3). Quick disconnect fuel lines?!?! Yes please!
#4). Fairings come off SO easily! This includes the front fairing, which incorporates a really sweet electronic connection to the control panel through the rear view mirror brackets. Not sure how reliably that connection holds up, but it was refreshing to see someone be creative!
#5). Spark plugs were pretty standard and readily available. Surprise! However as I grab my 5/8 spark plug socket and start trying to remove the old plugs, what the flip?!? Who thought those gaskets 1” down was a good idea?!? This is where I just shook my head. I tried WD40 on the socket, but still tight. I knew I’d lose my socket down the hole, so what did I do? Looked it up on this site! Thank you all for your wisdom! I simply trimmed the gaskets back and proceeded.
#6). I noticed upon reassembly that coolant level seemed low, so I added some engine ice. Upon start-up it pretty much peed it all back out . . . so I guess she runs at a low level?!? Weird, but ok.

Went back together without a hitch. Assembly was very quick (still can’t believe how easy those fairings are to remove!). As for my original problem, it hasn’t surfaced in the 50 miles since the change-out, but I’d be surprised if it fixed the problem. Time will tell!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:54 AM

uff! thanks for sharing! just got mine, havnt opening anything except for that hinge tail and the gas cap
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:09 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Pull those rubber caps and the pins slide out and the tail is off with the disconnection of one electrical connection.

There are many threads on keeping the coolant level at the low mark when cold. (I hope there was Engine Ice in there before you topped it up with Engine Ice....)

The mirror stalk connections can be finicky. Follow what the manual says and you will have fewer issues. i.e.: Loosen, but do not remove the two nuts holding the mirrors in place. Also when reinstalling, turn on the turn signal for the side you are tightening. The signal will come on and blink up until you have gone too far.
Ibgarrow likes this.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
Pull those rubber caps and the pins slide out and the tail is off with the disconnection of one electrical connection.

There are many threads on keeping the coolant level at the low mark when cold. (I hope there was Engine Ice in there before you topped it up with Engine Ice....)

The mirror stalk connections can be finicky. Follow what the manual says and you will have fewer issues. i.e.: Loosen, but do not remove the two nuts holding the mirrors in place. Also when reinstalling, turn on the turn signal for the side you are tightening. The signal will come on and blink up until you have gone too far.
Yes, Engine Ice was in there before I added any . . . good stuff. The rubber caps on the plastic pins are just incredibly unique. I love how simple that whole assembly is to remove. And as for the mirrors, I didn’t remove them at all. I took the whole front fairing off as a complete unit. Went back on and everything works. I’m kind of wondering now if I shouldn’t put some dielectric grease at that electrical joint? Maybe just to ensure no water intrusion?

This forum was invaluable to me as I started to dig in, so thank you! I did see that they run low, but it was only after she peed all over my garage floor that I looked that one up 🤦‍♂️.

Looking forward to more adventures in the near future.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:43 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

Immediately loosen the swing arm pinch bolts and retorque them to 15lbft/20Nm
Then remove the sticker that says 28-32Nm

This is what tight pinch bolts do.....
Attached Images

AusMV312 likes this.

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
Immediately loosen the swing arm pinch bolts and retorque them to 15lbft/20Nm
Then remove the sticker that says 28-32Nm

This is what tight pinch bolts do.....
woooo lawd. thankful for that tip from esq at the track. have no idea what mine were previously, but the sticker was already gone, so i would have searched the factory rec and tightned to 30 after fixing my chain.

also didnt come with mirrors so im looking for simple bar end types. anyone happy with what they are running on their F4?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to nigelrb Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottlarson737 View Post
. . .
#6). I noticed upon reassembly that coolant level seemed low, so I added some engine ice. Upon start-up it pretty much peed it all back out . . .
You're not on your own.

I am one of perhaps many who as a naive new F4 owner topped the coolant to the max mark only to later find the same as yourself!

2007 MV F4 1000R
2018 CBR1000RR SP2 : 2011 CBR1000RR : 2004 CBR1000RR : 2003 CBR954RR : 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Racing Edition)
1985 Honda VF1000R : 1985 Honda NS400R
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 01:51 AM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottlarson737 View Post
My 2005 F4 keeps dropping a cylinder while riding (randomly). My first instinct was to swap out the plugs. Iíve never worked on my bike, as itís completely new to me this year. As I began removing everything, it became apparent to me how different these bikes are from their Japanese counterparts.
#1). Integrated seat and a rear cowl that hinges up (doesnít come off). Interesting. Held on by two plastic pins with rubber caps?!? Really interesting!
#2). Fuel tank has one bolt and fits neatly to really sweet air box (all plastic and perfect aesthetic match to metal gas tank). I really like the use of the two supports on either side of the tank against the frame.
#3). Quick disconnect fuel lines?!?! Yes please!
#4). Fairings come off SO easily! This includes the front fairing, which incorporates a really sweet electronic connection to the control panel through the rear view mirror brackets. Not sure how reliably that connection holds up, but it was refreshing to see someone be creative!
#5). Spark plugs were pretty standard and readily available. Surprise! However as I grab my 5/8 spark plug socket and start trying to remove the old plugs, what the flip?!? Who thought those gaskets 1Ē down was a good idea?!? This is where I just shook my head. I tried WD40 on the socket, but still tight. I knew Iíd lose my socket down the hole, so what did I do? Looked it up on this site! Thank you all for your wisdom! I simply trimmed the gaskets back and proceeded.
#6). I noticed upon reassembly that coolant level seemed low, so I added some engine ice. Upon start-up it pretty much peed it all back out . . . so I guess she runs at a low level?!? Weird, but ok.

Went back together without a hitch. Assembly was very quick (still canít believe how easy those fairings are to remove!). As for my original problem, it hasnít surfaced in the 50 miles since the change-out, but Iíd be surprised if it fixed the problem. Time will tell!

Do yourself a favour and buy some steel seat hinge pins from TPO.They are inexpensive and do not break.
Also if you happen to drop one of those pins it falls straight into the nooks on the motor and are very hard to find.Don't ask me how I know.
esq'z me and theknurl like this.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 05:58 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelrb View Post
You're not on your own.

I am one of perhaps many who as a naive new F4 owner topped the coolant to the max mark only to later find the same as yourself!
Add me to the list.

RC
Failure is not an option

2016 Tri Thruxton R
2005 Ago F4 1000
2005 BMW 1200GS
1995 Duc 916
1994 Bim DB2
1986 Duc MHR Mille
1983 BMW R100S
1975 Hon 400
1975 BMW R90S
1974 Duc 750 Sport
1972 Hon 750
1966 Hon S90
1965 Duc Monza
1971 Norton 750
1971 BMW R75
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:21 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTGmv1k View Post

also didnt come with mirrors so im looking for simple bar end types. anyone happy with what they are running on their F4?
Here are CRG Arrow and the round Lane Splitter mirrors
The bar ends are from Motovation in Texas
Attached Images

cruiser, esq'z me and Tirefriar like this.

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode