dead f4 - MVAgusta.net
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
dead f4

I have a 2006 f4 1000 that I had in storage over the winter. It was hooked up to a tender, and I started her every other week. I recently brought her back home for the summer, and started her two weeks ago - everything was fine. Today, I go out to start her, and she is dead .D.E..A..D... dead. No lights, dash board , starter, fuel pump engaged, nothing!.... I think the battery is dead. I pull the battery, its at full charge within 3 minutes on the charger. I reinstall the battery - its still dead - I hook up a quick start charger, still dead. I usually get at least a dim headlight. I checked all the fuses, including the 40 amp fuse on the left side of the bike. Is there a main fuse that I am missing? any help will be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 02:43 AM

I'm sure somebody else will say if there is anything else like fuses but I think it might still be the battery. I had the same thing on one of my Ducati's - was showing green when on the charger but the battery itself wasn't holding any charge so as soon as the tender was unplugged there was nothing. I bought a new battery and fired up first time

'06 Ducati 999S
'04 MV Agusta F4 SPR
'97 Ducati 748S
'97 Ducati 916SPS
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 05:58 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
The 40 amp is the main fuse...if it's good then a fuse is not the problem. Do you own a voltmeter?? You can get a really inexpensive one at Harbor Freight.

Check your battery standing voltage 15 minutes after disconnecting the charger. Should be over 13 volts...or at the least nearly 13 volts.

Then, battery installed in the bike if it wasn't already, hook up the voltmeter and watch the voltage when you turn on the key/hit the starter. Should not drop very much with the key on, should stay at 10+ volts when the starter button is pressed.

That will tell you if your battery is the problem..... If it is not, then it is time to search for that open connector, and don't forget the ground wires !!!!

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '08 TT-R110 (Buster) Pam's ride, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:06 PM

eliminate the obvious. Hook up a battery charger on a high amp setting and turn on the key. If you get power to systems then it is the battery. If it is still dead then you have an open circuit.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Thank you for the responses. It is still dead while hooking up a boost charger on the battery while in the bike - so I will assume an open circuit. AM I looking for a fuse, a relay, a control module, a rectifier? I will add something to the puzzle - when I took the bike out of storage, I did take it to the self service wash and washed it pretty thoroughly while on my trailer - I have heard of some circuits on the first gen models had issues with water shorting out certain circuits. Any help will be appreciated. Cheers and thanks again.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:06 PM

Yep the water damaged something. What I dont know but someone here should be able to provide advice. Go to the manual and look at the wiring diagram. Check for bad connections around the fuse block and look for corrosion
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 05:48 AM
Old Wing Nut

You used a pressure washer ??? Yikes.

First thing is to look at the main fuse (at the starter relay.... have a look in the manuals....you do have the manuals don't you?)

Next I would check for voltage at the key switch...both IN and coming OUT when turned on.

You get no lights or dash...nothing, right? That is a completely open primary power circuit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '08 TT-R110 (Buster) Pam's ride, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
I wrapped on one of the relays on the right side of the ECU and the lights came on, dash lit up, and the bike started. Went out the following day, dead again. Wrapped on the relay ( l believe it is relay A, by hella, lights on, bike started. Now, two days later, dead as a doornail, wrapping doesn't work......So im figuring its the relay. My bike has under 4000 miles on it - were these units prone for failing?

thanks for all your advice!

cheers
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:28 PM
Old Wing Nut

All relays are prone to failure....take it off, go to the local auto parts store with relay in hand, buy a new one.

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 05:57 AM

Pull the relay and check the socket and wires for corrosion replace the relay
silentservice703 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in