Fuel bubling through keyhole - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Fuel bubling through keyhole

Was actually picking up the new coils when this happened.

For some strange reason, it started to seep a bit of fuel through the fuel cap keyhole. After i shut the bike i can hear it weeping from the keyhole, and while doing that, it bubbles a tad of fuel, not much but just making the keyhole surrounding moist.

Can a fuel cap really go bad? Im a bit lost here ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:31 PM

New Site Garage
Hi Viggen, it would be very helpful if you included the model / year in your post (your name suggests an F4...but that's about it). Some details on the bike such as vintage, kms, history etc.

apologies - I see you've just posted about the Coil in an earlier thread.

Cheers

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:57 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
The gas cap vent is blocked causing pressure inside to seek another path...... Check the vent hose from the bottom of the tank. Also check the little rubber seal between the cap and the tank.

Do you still have the evaporative emissions system in place? That would add to the diagnostic steps.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '08 TT-R110 (Buster) Pam's ride, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:37 AM

and more obviously not to overfill your tank. --especially with any possible blocked vents or leaking cap gaskets.

E d w a r d B4910s08

Public Service Announcement
Tools > User CP > Your Profile > Edit Your details > Additional Information > Location
Bike Model/s
Tools > User CP > Settings & Options > Edit Signature
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Esq.

The hose looks fine by eye, and no kinks. So maybe it could be something blocked inside the cap itself, have to take it apart. The bike had been sitting for very long time before me, so it is possible that something inside the cap is clogged up! It has no emission gear in place.

Edward.

The cap itself does not leak, its the pressure build up that comes through the keyhole. I always leave a litre or so down from full tank, alltough i always filled my previous F4 1000 to the brim, and it never leaked.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:13 AM

On the side, you may find deteriorated fuel line hoses in your tank. I know that may not explain the keyhole weeping but it if your bike sat for a while with gas in the tank that may be the underlying issue.

E d w a r d B4910s08

Public Service Announcement
Tools > User CP > Your Profile > Edit Your details > Additional Information > Location
Bike Model/s
Tools > User CP > Settings & Options > Edit Signature
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Hoses are new. And if they`d pop, the gas would leak from the overflow to the ground.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:09 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
The pressure vents through a labyrinth in the cap to a hole to the side, connecting between the cap and tank by a small mushroom shaped rubber seal that leads to the hose out the bottom of the tank.

Look at the seal when the cap is open and blow some air through it to confirm passage is clear. Unusual for the labyrinth in the cap to become blocked.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '08 TT-R110 (Buster) Pam's ride, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

O-ring was bad at the bottom of the lock tube. Sorted now i believe, alltough did not have time for a test ride.
esq'z me likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViggenF4 View Post
O-ring was bad at the bottom of the lock tube. Sorted now i believe, alltough did not have time for a test ride.
Iíve actually been having this same problem, what O-ring are you referring to? I have brand new fuel lines as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode