Bets way to lighten the heavy F4? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Bets way to lighten the heavy F4?

I was actually thinking of either trading/selling my bike for something lighter
The F4 is a really heavy bike compared to other 1000's
I was even thinking of a Duc 848
but why not lighten the shit out of the bike?!?
the two things that come to mind that I think would make the most difference are the wheels and the gas tank
I had a carbon sil moto slip on that wasn't much lighter than stock
I sold the exhaust already
but why not lighten the bike???
I might lighten my bank account in the process, but it's an idea...
did anyone here try to lighten up the bike
and what i really want to know is if it's worth it???

all else fails I get rid of my F4 and get a CBR 1000...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 12:46 AM

You're on the right track. The big things are wheels, gas tank, titanium exhaust.

OEM rims are 25.5 lbs. Brembo superlights are about 13.5. So thats a 12lb difference
Swapping out the stock tank and airbox for carbon saves about 8 lbs. But then you have a leaky carbon tank =(
Ti exhaust saves you around 7 pounds on a full system.
Remove the emissions crap for another couple of pounds.

So there you go. About 30 lbs, and a great deal of it is unspring, rotating weight. And figure another pound of 100$ bills that won't be in your wallet after all of that.

I don't know the numbers on the tail, but that thing always feels heavy to me when I lift it off compared to the other panels.
post #3 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 01:12 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
Hi Jon.
Obviously there are a variety of options.
I'm part way through doing the same thing to a 2008 312R
I'm starting at the back and slowly working forward. I have removed the standard headers and catalytic converter and replaced that system with headers and titanium link pipe from a Tamburini. I have an MV Corse magnesium swing arm and pair of frame plates. A set of twin Carbon FBF exhausts awaiting a race ECU before installation. A braketech rear brake disc and a 520 chain conversion.
It's going to be a long term project.
My opinion is that a highly modified MV is going to be something I will be more proud of than a highly modified CBR1000, but it will cost me significantly more. You've got to love a challenge though, right?

Last edited by The_castle; 06-21-2009 at 10:31 PM. Reason: To spell the mans name correctly.
post #4 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 02:16 AM

....for the price of lightening the MV, you could probably just by a CBR.

Are you trying to make it more flickable? Perhaps raising the rear ride height may get you were you want to be?
post #5 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 04:52 AM

I think you should just buy a lighter jap/duc bike. I started to do the same to my MV. bought some BST( big improvement) but the list I had just didn't stop! and I wouldn't be able to afford or justify to do it all. so depending on your bank balance I would go for the cheaper jap/duc bike

Last edited by adamv1000; 06-21-2009 at 04:54 AM.
post #6 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 05:03 AM

TBH if you want your F4 to be Jap 1000 light you should just sell it and buy a Jap thou... IMHO the F4 is showing it's age a bit compared to the latest Jap stuff. Top heavy, heavy in general, high, even some of the styling is a bit dated, I could go on. BUT that entirely misses the point for me: My 312R really floats my boat like a Jap thou never will. It moves me just to look at, the sound is fantastic, and dynamically it's damn near telepathic. As a bike I find it entirely involving on just about every point of reference and that's why I own it.
post #7 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 05:33 AM
Im with castle on this as i have done my 312 and its lighter then a jap bike now.And as for cryptyk saying carbon tanks leak that rubbish i have always had carbon tanks on all my bike and not one has leaked.MV's are so much better then any jap bike but if you just want a bike with no style or class about it and just want to be part of all the other 10000's of jap crap then buy a jap bike lol.When it comes to bikes and cars stay with the italians,i have just bought a classic italian car to go with my italian bikes and can wait to pick it up...
post #8 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 05:34 AM

sorry red312
going to hve to completly disagree with you, i iunderstand opinions are like arseholes, but your comment above is ridiculous. And f4 showing is age. No chance, tell me what jap bike there is out there after ten years is able to turn heads. None. To cement my comment, Jap bikes are redesigned every two years, obviously making them look differnet. The F4 was designed by a master, who to prove this again, a ten year old bike looks like a timeles piece of art. To say that the styling is dated, my friend you obviously have no idea about real automotive design.
just my two cents

Sanity is the playground for the un-imaginative
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 MV F4 1000S / 2006 Yamaha 50th anniversary R1 / 1998 Aprilia RS 125
1995 Suzuki RGV 250 / 2004 Cagiva Mito EVO2 / 2000 Cagiva mito
1992 Yamaha YZ250 / 1991 Kawasaki kr1s / 2010 Vespa GTS 300
post #9 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothermvfanatic View Post
sorry red312
but your comment above is ridiculous... To say that the styling is dated, my friend you obviously have no idea about real automotive design.
Whoaa!!, Calm down fella, no need to get offensive, however veiled.
It's a beautiful bike, we agree okay?? One of the purposes of a forum is to give people the opportunity to air their views, and mine were hardly extreme.
post #10 of 116 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothermvfanatic View Post
sorry red312
going to hve to completly disagree with you, i iunderstand opinions are like arseholes, but your comment above is ridiculous. And f4 showing is age. No chance, tell me what jap bike there is out there after ten years is able to turn heads. None. To cement my comment, Jap bikes are redesigned every two years, obviously making them look differnet. The F4 was designed by a master, who to prove this again, a ten year old bike looks like a timeles piece of art. To say that the styling is dated, my friend you obviously have no idea about real automotive design.
just my two cents
tell us what you really think

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode