Help!! Gen 1 decisions... - MVAgusta.net
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Help!! Gen 1 decisions...

Hello everyone

So I’m in the market for an F4. From day one I loved the F4 750 when it was first released as many of you I’m sure). This seemed to grow with each incarnation, the 750 Senna was my favourite (big Senna fan), then came the Tamburini, Senna 1000, Veltro, 1078 culminating in the awesome CC.

I tend to gravitate towards special edition/homologation bikes, I have a liking for limited production models and I believe they tend to hold their own in terms of value, especially when used sparingly as part of a small collection (which this would be) since the mileage is kept relatively low.

I have been close to buying a Senna when they were sensible money, of course now the specials are at their peak making it somewhat unpalatable. When the 1078RR 312 mono came out, I had it as my screensaver and was seriously trying to get one as it was semi affordable but was on a wife imposed bike ban at the time!

Fast forward to now, I’ve had my eye on a couple of Senna 1000’s and even enquired on a Tamburini. However, I’m aware that compared to a Senna, the 1078 is probably the better bike, there have been some nice low milers recently and it has me seriously thinking that if it’s a better bike, and better value, am I mugging myself off by stretching to a limited?

As much as I love the Senna, (I think that and the CC are the best colour schemes), I’m seriously struggling to justify the asking prices compared to what a 312RR 1078 is fetching which seems to be the Gen1 sweet spot. Similar engine to the halo CC, one of the later gen1 F4’s, close ratio box, slipper clutch, still fairly exclusive and for the saving over a Senna, there would be scope to perhaps go for some carbon fairings and have it painted as a Senna tribute.

The Senna as much as I love it, is after all, deep down, little more than a fancy paint job, some insignificant smatterings of carbon, limited plaque and a decent rear shock but breaking it down to that does it an injustice, it has its place in history and will always hold a special appeal. Whereas the 1078 offers a whole lot more at the expense of some kudos, (owing to the Senna’s limited status and arguably being the one which will always hold a stronger residual).

Then there’s the Tamburini, which also holds a special place as the creator’s bike (big Tamburini fan - I even have a 907ie to prove it ) but although it enjoys full carbon fairing, the mag swingarm and of course the TSS, it’s a huge amount more but if you’re overpaying for a Senna, its arguably a whole lot more ‘special’ being it is more than just a different paintjob, and then at a little more there’s the super stealth super limited Veltro, quite possibly my favourite until the CC, but these are heading into the unjustifiable price league and I go full circle back to a 1078 with some scope for a little spend.

So I guess what I’m getting at, 1078RR vs Senna??!! For a bike that will on balance average 500 miles a year, which will give more satisfaction and be a better investment? Is the 1078 that much better to ride, or are we talking degrees of difference, the same could be true of all the more expensive ones? Did I mention I love the Senna, but the head is struggling with the ‘value’ issue beyond the paint job and ‘special’ tag. I’m never going to extract the max performance from any of them, so in the words of Basement Jaxx...where’s my head at!?!

Interested in any thoughts or opinions?

I hope to join the MV fold soon, it has been a long time coming and I’m nearly there... just need to make some decisions. I’m sure ultimately whichever one I go for I’d of course be happy with, they are all a work of art and they’re all Tamburini’s creations. For me it is arguably THE most beautiful motorcycle ever made.

Cheers
Nito

Last edited by Nito; 02-28-2019 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Grammar!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 03:45 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
The 1078 is a much more refined bike...and the last of the 1st generation F4s.....but the Senna is gorgeous and more "collectible".

Go with your heart. Put that Senna on a pedestal and keep it forever. Some day it will be worth a lot more then the 1078.
cruiser, Nito and nigelrb like this.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #3 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 03:59 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Since you aren't really going to "ride" the bike anyway then you should go with the one you want to collect.

Depending on where you are on this Big Blue Marble, there are a couple of Veltro machines for sale and obtainable.
Nito likes this.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #4 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 04:26 PM

I have owned both the Senna 1000 and I now have a 1078. From a pure riding standpoint the 1078 is by far the better experience. Even though it is not considered a limited edition model it is limited since it was only made one year and only a small number made it to the USA. I would not get rid of the 1078 to buy the Senna since the Senna is mostly a cosmetic edition. Both are excellent machines so you cannot go wrong with either
Nito likes this.
post #5 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 04:29 PM

Tambo, 1078RR, then Senna. They'll all feel the same off the throttle. At 500 miles a year it won't really matter anyway.
Nito likes this.

2013 F4RR
2009 F4 RR 1078 312
2005 F4 Tamburini
2005 F4 1000S
1999 Aprilia RS50
1996 Ducati 916
1959 MV Agusta TREL 125 Centomila

2008 F4 312R, 2005 F4 1000S, 1999 F4 750 S (all sold)
post #6 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thank you all for your thoughts. Interesting mix of views. I’m UK based btw, I’ve updated my status to reflect, thanks.

Pleasingly it doesn’t seem I can go too far wrong either way, I can’t help feel its maybe a bit naff to ‘Senna’ a 1078, because it’s a great machine in its own right and holds its own by merit of being pretty limited in availability itself. I guess for most collectible bikes the value is in originality.

Is there much in it from a reliability perspective in the three years development between the two? Does the 1078 have decent suspension compared to the Senna?

I know 500 miles doesn’t sound a lot but that’s all fun miles, no commuting or anything, my annual bike mileage is split over a few bikes, some get more one year then less the next but it balances out at that sort of figure each year averaged out. The Senna wouldn’t be put in a bubble never to see the light of day, I’m not that type of collector, they all get used properly albeit in fair weather, except my trusty old Aprilia Caponord which is the trusty all season bike

Thanks again
Nito

Last edited by Nito; 02-28-2019 at 05:20 PM.
post #7 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 05:35 PM

reliability is not an issue on either. The front forks are pretty much the same and the rear shock on the 1078 works ok but really needs to be updated to aftermarket. The Senna has an upgraded shock I believe
Nito likes this.
post #8 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Senna has fully adjustable Sachs at rear and nitride coated Marzocchi front, I didn’t know what the 1078 had so its just a regular shock. Thanks
Nito
post #9 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 06:16 PM

New Site Garage
I assume you are talking about the Senna 1000 and not the 750. I like the paint scheme of the 1000 more, but the 750 seems to hold its' value more. The Tambo has always held a special place in my heart. If I had the option between the Senna and the Tambo. It would be the Tambo.

MV Agusta F4 Superleggera (Mona Lisa)
MV Agusta F3 Ago 2015
Ducati 1098 2009
post #10 of 89 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 10:31 PM

New Site Garage
I can't go past the 1078. ..But that's probably because it's blocking the garage door!!!!!
MVs are a bike of passion, so go with your heart. Most of us mortals can't hope to extract every last bit of performance from anyone of these machines.
number2 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode