Help!! Gen 1 decisions... - Page 7 - MVAgusta.net
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1andrew View Post
The levers are also different.
I had clocked them but wasn't sure if they were corse ones or not, good spot anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
The scratch on the frame under the tank must have been caused by a careless person, not a crash. Likewise the tiny scratches near the swing arm pivots on the side plates.

The meter face is kind of soft plastic. The surface can be scuffed by wiping with a dirty rag. My 910R has a similar scratch that I caused when I was washing the bike and didn't realize I had grit on the drying cloth. Really pissed me off.

Looks like who ever installed the rear sets liked the length of the shifter as stock but added the extension on the brake side. Or is there a scrape on the side plate under the shifter indicating it tipped over on that side, driving the shifter peg into the side plate and bending it? And is that a scrape on the left fairing panel??

Tires could likely have been replaced because the originals were well past their optimum age, not worn out.

Steering damper is a bit of bling over the stock one, and is higher spec performance as well.

I can't really see any wear on the sprocket.
Thanks for your observations. The brake discs don't look blued from track use, I thought the gearchanger odd because the black seems to offer the same adjustment as the silver based on the other side. Re the clock scratch, that's good to know for future reference that it marks easily, sorry to hear about yours. I don't think it's been over, that said, if running track fairing and brakes who knows? Perhaps that carbon swingarm cover is hiding something?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
It is also missing an exhaust guard.
Thanks, I can't see which one you could mean, all looks complete to me apart from it being carbon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVO Chris View Post
5 owners in 900 miles, look out for track usage seems little odd. Or its a lemon and has been at the dealers more than the road?? Or new clocks before its first MOT?

Personally, from what you have mentioned, with low usage and collecting, the Senna seems the beast for you, still very capable, easy to look after, reliable and will or course going forward give you your money back and some, also you will be happy in the knowledge that you don't just own an MV, but a special MV, that was endorsed by one of the great F1 drivers. I went to the lamborghini museum a few years back and they had a Senna exhibition, they had the Ducati 916? Senna but no MV so a hidden gem me thinks.
Good luck on your choice,
Chris
Thanks Chris, I do keep coming back to the Senna, I'm not a serial MV owner so I would know no different in reality. I'm sure I'd love it. My other sportsbike is a ZXR750 so it'll have a load more power than that and won't be any less rideable than a ludicrously long first gear equipped bike on flat slide carbs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelrb View Post
Hi Nito. As a 'serial' bike buyer I don't blame you for being cautious. The 'five owners' versus low mileage just doesn't stack up.

Generally, if a 'true' collector had bought the bike, he/she is HIGHLY unlikely to fit rearsets and quick release fuel cap. Our interest is preserving originality. Even assuming that one collector did store the bike, it is a big call to even think that the other four, between them, couldn't knock up more than 900 miles.

I accept esq'z me point about changing tires, but then again, as a collector, if we're not riding, there's no need to change tires, UNLESS the last owner changed them because he was riding it. HOWEVER, if that be the case, that would mean the previous 4 owners had racked up even FEWER miles between them.

I know the bike to which you refer. It is over the top price wise (even with its 'special' history).

I recommend obtaining previous owner details from the seller (might run into Privacy Act probs) but any previous owner would happily oblige assisting with tabulating the bike's history. If it's legit, it's a great pick up.
I'm with you on all of that Nigel. I have previous owner name and servicing dealer history. It hasn't been MOT'd thus not road legal since 2015. The clocks could easily be disconnected for track use. The condition doesn't reflect something that has sat on a pedestal. You are correct about the bike, it is 'that one', price we have discussed, came down to £11k, at one point it was up for an opportunistic £17,995!. If it was minus all those bits pointed out and had the original parts and less owners I'd be quite tempted. Too many unverifiable gaps in its history for me. There is a beautiful Biposto 1078 on autotrader at the moment with 12 miles in the traditional silver/red colours, as new, a great buy by all accounts, advertised at 13k. The owner never responded to my email but that looks like a great buy for sure, even more so if he moves on price.

I've now made 'offers' on two bikes, if one of them accepts I'll bite, if not I'll sit tight, I've been following the prices for a long time, there are lots advertised high and more specials on sale than there's ever been, but they are lingering around and not changing hands. I know where I am and what I'm comfortable with offering, it's down to the sellers now and what they feel comfortable with. It's always been said that a bike is only worth what someone is willing to pay, but that goes both ways because if it's worth that to the seller, than they are effectively willing to pay that figure to keep it

Cheers all,
Nito
nigelrb likes this.

Last edited by Nito; 03-05-2019 at 09:12 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 09:07 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nito View Post
Thanks, I can't see which one you could mean, all looks complete to me apart from it being carbon.

My mistake, actually. The way the heel guard is positioned, it appeared as if an exhaust guard was missing. Carry on!
Nito likes this.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #63 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 09:35 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Can't disconnect the meter assembly for track day..... bike won't run. It would be a real pain to disconnect the speed sensor and not likely done.

The black brake pedal peg is longer than the stock... The pedal pegs are both adjustable, but there will be a longer reach to the shifter with the stock peg.

I would have to see and hear the bike to confirm, but this looks like a good deal to me. I suspect it really doesn't have many miles, just several owners who only rode a bit and either got scared!!, decided insurance was too dear, or the bike just wasn't for them.
nigelrb likes this.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '08 TT-R110 (Buster) Pam's ride, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #64 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks esq'z me,

Useful info re the meter, I guess it wouldn't stop a used one being plugged in but I don't think the mileage is suspect, the brake discs look in good condition, it's more the care and usage. ie were tyres replaced because track used tyres stand out a mile off.

The little scuffs here and there bother me more than anything because I'm ocd and try to look after stuff and those bits would annoy me, but I am picky, aside from that I agree it should be a decent bike, it has some nice parts on it and the piece de resistance is that the tank was signed by Agostini himself and then lacquered over. The bike was offered by the UK distributor MotoGB as a charity auction bike back in 2009. It's a decent bike for the money and includes the paddock stand. The trader seems to be a very decent chap and sent me a video tour of the bike. It's on ebay among other places.

Cheers
Nito
Attached Images

post #65 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 10:40 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Ago probably dropped it....LOL

A good price for a 1078. Niggles aside.
esq'z me and Nito like this.

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #66 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 11:29 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Jut buy it....the frame paint can be easily touched up. Any good auto body repairman can do it.

I would suspect the new tires are the result of age, not wear.

And these bikes were built to be ridden on the track. Probably better use for the engine than bogging about in traffic.

Looking at the photo with Ago....don't those tires appear that he has flogged her a bit on track just before the photos?? Or is it my poor focus?
nigelrb likes this.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '08 TT-R110 (Buster) Pam's ride, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)

Last edited by esq'z me; 03-05-2019 at 11:32 AM.
post #67 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 03:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to nigelrb Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
J

Looking at the photo with Ago....don't those tires appear that he has flogged her a bit on track just before the photos?? Or is it my poor focus?
Aha! You've solved the riddle of the 900 miles. Big track day entertaining charity supporters!

2007 MV F4 1000R
2018 CBR1000RR SP2 : 2011 CBR1000RR : 2004 CBR1000RR : 2003 CBR954RR : 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Racing Edition)
1985 Honda VF1000R : 1985 Honda NS400R
post #68 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 07:38 PM

It all makes sense now. All the marks are from people climbing all over it and the aftermarket parts look to be from the same maker, so possibly were marketing freebies given the amount of exposure that bike had. To get it back to original isn't too hard. eBay should do it. OEM rearsets are cheap and readily available. The CRC steering damper a bit harder. The gas tank cap will need to be bought as a set, ignition, seat latch, and keys. Bar ends and grips also easy.

The bike might have sat in the sun too long as the instrument cluster is faded. The swoosh should be red.

All things considered, I'd still hit it.

2013 F4RR
2009 F4 RR 1078 312
2005 F4 1000S
1999 Aprilia RS50
1996 Ducati 916
1959 MV Agusta TREL 125 Centomila

2008 F4 312R, 2005 F4 1000S, 1999 F4 750 S (all sold)
post #69 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

It was only a one day event, bike wasnít ridden and tyres look new when I blow the pic up. Also bike was standard on charity night. The extras are genuine MV corse ones. It does help explain a couple of the owners probably though.

All told, I donít think itís going to be for me. Iím in dialogue for something else which has legs at the moment following a counter offer Iíve received back, weíll see where that leads.

Cheers
Nito
post #70 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 01:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to nigelrb Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nito View Post

All told, I donít think itís going to be for me. . .
Well, in that case, I might just head up to North Yorkshire!!

2007 MV F4 1000R
2018 CBR1000RR SP2 : 2011 CBR1000RR : 2004 CBR1000RR : 2003 CBR954RR : 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Racing Edition)
1985 Honda VF1000R : 1985 Honda NS400R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode