Help!! Gen 1 decisions... - Page 2 - MVAgusta.net
 69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 127 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1andrew View Post
I assume you are talking about the Senna 1000 and not the 750. I like the paint scheme of the 1000 more, but the 750 seems to hold its' value more. The Tambo has always held a special place in my heart. If I had the option between the Senna and the Tambo. It would be the Tambo.
Yes 1000. The 750 is lovely and a classic, I missed out on a 750 twice (both great buys at the time which would have nearly doubled in value but it took me 16 years to reverse a wife enforced bike ban) but dynamically I think it has been far superseded on paper by the 1000, so I think that would bug me and like you, I prefer the colour scheme of the 1000. The Tambo is a stretch too far, I mention it because its not that far off the Senna with the way the Senna is priced and in terms of value it actually represents better value dare I say.

Im not sure where values go from here, are they at a peak? All classic vehicles have enjoyed a massive boost this last few years, but surely they cant keep on going like that, theyll be one of the first victims when the worm turns that said, new prices are getting dearer and dearer.

With the 1078, I know were not ever likely to reach the limits on road, but is the larger motor more tractable and the nicer ride well away from the limits, particularly with the close ratio box (it would seem so from number 2s comments having owned both), there are some real mechanical advances on that (that appeal to me) which make that surely the better riders bike which may well make it a bit of a late appreciating unicorn in years to come! Particularly with the CC connection. I forget the nice chaps name with all the special MVs in Australia, but his comments on all the specials was that the CC blows them all away. Technically the closest MV to the CC is the 1078. Theres scope to upgrade the suspension/exhaust/bodywork/wheels to reduce the weight and it would be an awesome bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 127 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 03:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to nigelrb Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Huh? No interest in the LH44?

As a fellow lover of the F4, I echo most comments from above in that for the riding experience I'd choose the 1078, but as a 'keeper' (both collectable and to ride) I'd buy the Senna. If the budget allowed I'd stretch to the Tambo - and I say this as one who keeps tabs on UK prices. They are a far financial stretch from the Senna as you've no doubt found.
anothermvfanatic likes this.

2007 MV F4 1000R
post #13 of 127 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 02:56 PM

Nito what means more to you owning a special production bike and paying a premium, although it won't devalue, or the 1078 you could 'make your own' as a Senna Tribute.
Think about it, what would give you the most joy over time, buy with the heart this is all about passion. One would of thought for 500 miles a year any one of them will give you a thrill.

R1Andrew has made his bike his own and loves it. Could you stop at Carbon fairings and a Senna paint job on a 1078, or would you keep spending and spending, it can be easy to catch the bug? In which case from a financial point of view buy a special production bike.

F4 750 1+1 2000 model
post #14 of 127 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 04:30 PM

Good point, Bert. Some like to customize, while others wouldn't change a thing. If a Tambo were my only MV, I'd for sure be guilty of Leroying it, and unrepentantly so.
Armando1969 and bullmrkt like this.

2009 F4 RR 1078 312
2005 F4 Tamboweenie
2005 F4 1000S
1999 Aprilia RS50
1996 Ducati 916
1959 MV Agusta TREL 125 Centomila

PAST - 2013 F4RR, 2008 F4 312R, 2005 F4 1000S, 1999 F4 750 S
post #15 of 127 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Arthur View Post
Good point, Bert. Some like to customize, while others wouldn't change a thing. If a Tambo were my only MV, I'd for sure be guilty of Leroying it, and unrepentantly so.
Hi MV Arthur, what does Leroying it mean? I am presuming changing?

The Tambo is one of the one's I thought perfection and wouldn't need changing, almost sacrilege, although all standard parts could be kept. Out of interest what would be high on the list for change? That is of course if I am correct upon my assumption of what Leroying actually means!
MV Arthur likes this.

F4 750 1+1 2000 model
post #16 of 127 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 05:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to nigelrb Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVBERT View Post
Hi MV Arthur, what does Leroying it mean? . . .
Great question! I didn't want to show my ignorance by asking, but I've 'outed' myself now!
anothermvfanatic and MVBERT like this.

2007 MV F4 1000R
post #17 of 127 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 07:08 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Hi MV Arthur, what does Leroying it mean? I am presuming changing?

The Tambo is one of the one's I thought perfection and wouldn't need changing, almost sacrilege, although all standard parts could be kept. Out of interest what would be high on the list for change? That is of course if I am correct upon my assumption of what Leroying actually means!
My take on leroying is to customize something in a tacky way. When done it is not tasteful. Art would customize a Tambo but he would not Leroy it. He already did a great paint job on a carbon fairing he had on one of his bikes.
MV Arthur likes this.

MV Agusta F4 Superleggera (Mona Lisa)
MV Agusta F3 Ago 2015
MV Agusta F4 1000 Senna #25
Ducati 1098 2009
post #18 of 127 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 08:25 AM

Imagine using a can of spray paint to do a carbon fairing. Leroying
post #19 of 127 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelrb View Post
Huh? No interest in the LH44?
Er, NO, lol !

Quote:
Could you stop at Carbon fairings and a Senna paint job on a 1078, or would you keep spending and spending, it can be easy to catch the bug? In which case from a financial point of view buy a special production bike.
Very wise advice, I can relate to this completely, to answer the question, no I probably wouldn't stop at that, and yes I've been guilty of that many times in the past with cars. Agree with your second point, except I'm also guilty of that in the past, and then committing the sacrilege of modifying it heavily anyway. (Very rare Nissan Skyline R34GTR V-Spec II Nur, tuned to 700++bhp with an enlarged Top Secret engine and all sorts more. Would be worth a fortune in todays market had I kept it!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Arthur View Post
Leroying lol. I take it to mean the UK equivalent of trevving or chavving something up lol! Yeah, I'd like to think most on here would do things quite tastefully!! I did it unrepentantly so, fortunately, executed well, I didn't devalue mine when it came to selling, it actually enhanced the value, but it cost a fortune to do and I probably didn't recoup the full cost of mods but had a hell of a time doing it and I did all the work myself. I probably would never go that crazy again.

In the case of a Senna or Tambo/Veltro, I don't think I'd touch them really. The 1078, I definitely would, but I'm not sure how the value would go on that, probably would always be worth less than a Senna, even if it had full painted carbon bodywork, wheels, dampers, Ti pipes and a couple of mag bits (swingarm)! Would be a fun project nevertheless and a cracking ride I'm sure.

It's a difficult one, because I'm partial to both avenues. I think the Senna is still edging ahead, but I'm not sold at their current asking prices, I think the figures are suppressing my interest in going for one at the moment, it makes me feel that if I'm going to those figures, I may as well stretch to something a lot more special as its a chunk of the way there financially already. I've picked up all my favourite much cheaper bikes already, the MV will be the dearest in my collection so I want to make the best choice.

Thanks for all the responses.

Cheers
Nito
post #20 of 127 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 09:49 AM

Nito,

Now if the term chavving had been used earlier then one would have easily grasped the concept, but I'll be surprised in our friends across the pond know that one.

Lets us know what you go for in the end with some nice pics please.
You never know you may end up with your own Mona Lisa thread equivalent, giving R1Andrew some much needed competition, but that is gonna cost ya quite a substantial quantity of sobs(notes, dosh, wadny, etc).

F4 750 1+1 2000 model

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode