Chain acting weird.... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Chain acting weird....

I think it's time for a new sproket set, but not sure, want to ask everyone here and see what you all have to say.

When I have the bike up on the rear wheel stand, and I rotate the tire, the chain tightens and loosens as it goes around... I mistakenly adjusted it at one of the more loose points and caused the chain to start grinding due to the friction... So, that being said, I'm assuming it's time for a new sproket and chain set...

Now, for the second question... is it worth going to the 520 conversion and ducati style rear sprockets?

And finally the third question.... where is a good place to get all the above items??

Last edited by Hexdelete; 06-18-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 04:05 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexdelete View Post
I think it's time for a new sproket set, but not sure, want to ask everyone here and see what you all have to say.

When I have the bike up on the rear wheel stand, and I rotate the tire, the chain tightens and loosens as it goes around... I mistakenly adjusted it at one of the more loose points and caused the chain to start grinding due to the friction... So, that being said, I'm assuming it's time for a new sproket and chain set...

Now, for the second question... is it worth going to the 520 conversion and ducati style rear sprockets?

And finally the third question.... where is a good place to get all the above items??
Tight spots on the chain are just proof that the chain has worn out. It is good practice to change the sprockets and chain together.

A 520 chain is lighter and will offer a slight handling and acceleration advantage (in theory) however, a poorly adjusted and / or lubricated chain will negate any improvement. The real question is how do you ride, a 520 chain is weaker than a 530 and its standing starts that cause the most stress on the chain. In my view while the 520 chain will likely be adequate the peace of mind the 530 chain offers is well worth any percieved disadvantages.

Ducati style sprockets are nice bling, but offer no real advantages to a set and forget situation.

I bought my last chain and sprockets from www.sprocketcenter.com (for my Triumph).

Andrew...
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 04:38 AM
Banned

You can tell by looking at your sprocket whether it needs changing or not, stick a few pics up

if you have the cash yes its good to change both at same time, but it is not always necessary

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode