F4 1000S for commuting ? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

F4 1000S for commuting ?

I'm getting a sweet deal on an F4 and am this (fingers-an-inch-away) close to not having to drool every time I saw one on the street

However I have a conundrum now. I currently own a 2003 R6 which is my primary mode of commuting to work (10 minutes away through city streets). If I get the F4, I do not have the garage space to park all my toys. So I'll have to get rid of the R6.

Now my friends who own Ducatis are convinced that I would be absolutely miserable commuting on the F4. I've heard this from other sources too. I was wondering what the F4 / MV owners on this forum thought about it ..

Heat is one problem .. but engine wise, am I harming the 166HP beast by not really running it in the power-band ? Or is that all horse manure ?

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 06:25 PM

Well, it's certainly not designed for commuting. It will run hot and it's pretty uncomfortable (have you sat on one yet) compared to an R6. But, commuting can be done. And you're only doing about a 10 minute commute so it may work out. I think you'll be as miserable as your friends who own Ducatis.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Established Member

Not the greatest commuting bike. But Lisa and I use it for that a fair amount. Mind you, we commute in the Santa Monica mountains.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 08:18 PM
Established Member

I'm close to 40 and I don't have a problem going to work 25 minutes away. f41000S. Live fast ride faster. By the way I do it three times a week when weather permit's. In Michigan we only have a 6 month season. Good luck.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 08:20 PM

Brutale is better.

B4 750S [sold]
B3 675R [waiting]
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 08:58 PM

Isn't all commuting miserable? At least you'll be doing so on art...It's no worse than any other sportbike where you really lean forward, plus there are bar risers and adjustable rearsets that don't cost a fortune. I have 8,000 miles on my MV, and half was prob below the powerband. Engine is fine...maybe some of the people who know about motors will weigh in on that front. Heat wise, the impeller mod sorted all of my overheating issues...although, it really never overheated, it just ran hot. You could do bar risers (if required) an impeller mod (make sure it hasn't already been done) and foot pegs (if you find you need more room) all at the same time and it won't be all that expensive.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 09:37 PM

The only problem you'll have is prying yourself off it after only ten minutes.

One hour minimum in my experience.

Last edited by mljmd7; 06-15-2009 at 09:39 PM.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 10:12 PM

If your doing lots of 10 minute runs make sure you keep the bike on a battery tender. I think if anything what could potentially harm the motor more is all the cold running. It takes the motor a few minutes to get to optimum temperature so with 10 minute runs you could be putting more cold engine miles on the bike than these bikes would typically do. I'm just speculating, there are others on here with more knowledge about motors than me but running cold engines too hard is never a good thing.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 10:37 PM

I commute on my 312R, almost 75 miles round trip. I've got almost 14,000 miles on it. Before that, I commuted on an MV F4S (first, year, a 750) and several Ducatis. Then again, folks who know me think I'm a bit "off." Not as much as I used to be, I suppose: Now, I drive a car when the weather is bad.

2008 MV Agusta F4 312 R
2002 Ducati ST4S
1998 Ducati 748
1994 Ducati 900SS
1980 Yamaha TZ250G
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 11:27 PM

if you can get some decent miles in at a FUN pace, then go for it......

otherwise its like using a sledge hammer to drive a tack.

A gun is not a weapon. It's a tool, like a butcher's knife, or a harpoon, or an alligator.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode