rear paddock stand warning!!! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Angry rear paddock stand warning!!!

a word of warning on the paddock stand for the F4 - as my pride and joy just fell off it!!!! let me explain >>
with the bike on the paddock stand i was happily cleaning the crud off the rear chain when without warning - plonk - it just fell away from me!! i was on the left side of the bike turning the wheel clockwise when it happenned. i was lucky to get away with a broken lever and bent clip on as i had all the bodywork removed.

after the cussing and swearing died down the head scratching started - how could this happen? i have owned these bikes for nine years and am fanatical when making sure the bike is safely on the paddock stand,then it dawned on me -to make life easier i had applied a small amount of grease on the stub of the stand to assist when removing it - reduced friction allowed the nylon spiggot of the stand to stay put allowing the wheel to turn on turn itself off it!!

also it is worth noting the position of the stand stub when it is in the wheel - the stub is only 75mm long - i was shocked to find that when it is in the wheel it dose not go to the centre line of the rear swinger which is worth noting is no where near the centre of the bike(go have a look)
the bike only needs to move a fraction away from the stand and it.s over.

be careful out there guys&gals you have been warned!!!

colin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 01:54 PM

I always 'pull' the tire towards the stand while I rotate it. I used to just spin it, but noticed it would inch its way towards the edge.
Sorry to hear about the get off =(
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Established Member

Happened to me, luckily only a scratch on the bar-end and slider. The inside of the axle is spiral machined like a fine nut. Now I make sure I turn the wheel so the axle moves towards the stand flange.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 03:54 PM

Ugh. What a sickening feeling that must have been. Sorry to hear it, but thanks for the warning.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 04:40 PM

Pit Bull makes a rear stand for the bike. I'm going to order one. I Don't use the factory stand anymore.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 05:24 PM

It always looked a bit precarious to me when I bought my first Ducati c/w stand. So I manuf. an extra support for the opposite side. 1 bush to fit in the hub, removable support arm from the frame to the height of the wheel ctr. Mounted a twin brg housing on top and a pin to locate thro the brgs into the wheel ctr bush. Have just finished making one for the MV too. Can supply photos if needed. Just need to get the lad round to do this op.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 06:10 PM

Get the PitBull...I had the same "fall" in the first week I owned my bike, caught it, saved the fall and limped around for a week. The PitBull works, easy to lift and no slipping off the stand issues what so ever. Ever!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 08:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to pistonpete Send a message via MSN to pistonpete Send a message via Yahoo to pistonpete
I second the Pit Bull stand. I had difficulty getting the motorcycle on and off the factory stand. I bought the Pit Bull reversible rear stand have never looked back.....no pun intended.

Make sure you get the reversible Pit Bull stand so you can do sprocket changes with ease as well as taking the rear wheel off.

Glad to hear you got away with minimal damage.

Once you have tasted Italian, everything else is just rice!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 08:54 PM

GEt the pitbull reversing rear stand that way you can lift the bike from right or left side. I just got one and it's great!!!

Chris

Chris
2014 B3 Brutale 800
That's Giuliano Maoggi and the start of the 1956 Motogiro d'Italia.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 05:08 AM

Bummer...

Sounds like the kind of thing that would happen to me...& can feel your pain...!

I use an "Abba" Superbike stand www.abbastands.co.uk which levers the bike up from the centre via locators on either side of the frame (sounds dodgy - but does work & very easy to use...) - would def. reccomend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode