Tight Chain?? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

Tight Chain??

People,

Last night I went out for a blast on my 2000 F4.

I do have what can only be described as a "tapping" noise that seems to be originating in an area by my left footpeg.

It increases with road speed and is certainly apparent when coasting, I cannot tell if it is place then the engine is in gear as general engine vibration means it is difficult to detect/

I have had this on a previous bike and it turned out to be the chain.

I have never adjusted the chain on my MV. I know it is no excuse but I have some aftermarket carbon fibre fitted on the swingarm so cannot gauge the tension. The chain is lubbed very regularly using Castrol Chain wax.

The bike has done around 4500 in ten years.

Ideas anyone??

Thanks

Sub

When my Dad and I first laid our eyes on an MV Agusta at the UK launch, we were simply blown away.................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 04:22 AM
Be very careful and slacken it off, you can easily damage the hub bearings with an overtight chain, see various threads here on hub failure It could be one of the rollers in the chain itself has damage in which case it would be advisable to replace the chain completely

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 04:28 AM
Established Member

Have you checked your chain to see if there is any seized links? I had the same problem and that was the cause.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

I will slacken the chain off but obviously dont want it to cause damage due to it being too loose, how is it best to check for seized links??

When my Dad and I first laid our eyes on an MV Agusta at the UK launch, we were simply blown away.................
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 07:23 AM

Get some one to sit on the bike and check the adjustment.Check the hub for slack in the bearings.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORT View Post
Get some one to sit on the bike and check the adjustment.Check the hub for slack in the bearings.
How is it best to check for chain adjustment with after market carbon on swingarm guys????

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 08:32 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
My aftermarket carbon chain guard is exactly the same dimension as the OEM plastic part. I compared before installation, so i use the standard measurement process from the owner manual.

To check for sized links, put the bike on the paddock stand and slowly rotate the rear wheel. watch the chain at the long run on the bottom. If any links do not easily straighten out as the go along that run (stay bent relative to the next link), grab the chain and see how hard it is to flex that link. Stiffness or roughness at any link pivot is indicator of time for a new chain.

Also note if the chain seems to get more tight or loose in spots as you rotate it, indicating uneven stretching and time to replace.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

Surely guys I cannot be looking at a new chain after 4500 miles!!?!?

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 04:11 AM

4500 miles but it's the original chain you said? 10 years old? When you lube the chain, do you also clean the old lube and road grit off it? It does sound like you have a seized link and yes that would mean a new chain. After 10 years you can't really complain about a chain replacement though?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

Fella's. My local dealer Forza Italia at Silverstone UK have also suggested perhaps a siezed link. What I propose to do is firstly full degrease the chain using petrol / parafin or similar. I have a mate who has suggested diesel as it does not roty the seals. Then really lube it with a penetrative lubricant like WD40 to get into any rust deep in the chain and then use a load of Castrol lube.

Just out of interest, can anyone advised on how to remove the front sprocket cover as I would have thought it would be easy to see a siezed link at the front sprocket due to the small radius of the sprocket.

Last edited by Submariner; 06-15-2009 at 05:03 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode