F4750SR vs ducati 848 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 04:07 AM Thread Starter

F4750SR vs ducati 848

i currently ride a ducati 848 and am in a position to purchase a SR with very low mileage (its virtually new).

i am wondering if anyone here has ridden both and is willing to offer comparisons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 04:20 AM

Gidday mate, this is the best place to ask such questions. Good ride today, I swapped Brian the BMW Megamoto for his 1078RR back to Tai Tapu, what a neat bike, way better than his old 1000. Hope you get some good responses.Chris
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 04:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
Hi I have ridden both.
I have also raced a 784R, and ridden the F4 SPR and a 749R on the track a number of times.

Apart from the obvious difference that the 848 is a newer design and that it is a twin vs a 4, this would be my take.

The SPR 750 F4 is special bike, similar in feel to a 748R but with a longer and higher top end, so on the track it is a step up.
The 848 is lighter and has a more compact and modern riding position (the F4 is more flat and racier.).

The F4 has higher spec components and a lot more adjustability than the 848. Also the F4 is very well designed with bodywork fit, and finish etc superior.You can change to track bodywork very easily, while the 848 takes abit of spanner work.

The F4 is a 4 and a high revving one so you need to work it, take your 848 and add about 2000 revs to everything and you get the picture. It is smooth and absolutely screams at high revs, sound totally opposite to the drone of the Duke.

If you can swing it and have both it would be a perfect garage mate. They handle and feel simiar but the engines are differnet in the way they go about their business.The SPR came at the wrong time (just when everyone was going to 1000's), but it is special for sure. If you don't want a 1000 you won't be dissapointed.

Goodluck.

MVA Sydney
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

hey c. yes, it was a good ride. i nipped over to tracys on the way home and had a drool over his Ago....hmmm

i'm trawling through older posts in regard to this, but no references to a comparo of an SR to 848...i'll wait and see what turns up
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 08:34 AM
Established Member

I own both, or have owned both, a white 848 and the MV 750F4SR. The 848 was sold when I started seeing them everywhere I turned. The Duc was ever so slightly more of an upright riding position than my SR but the exclusivity associated with a 300 run production model and a 750 with 146 hp more than compensated for that. The MV is undoubtedly on of the most beautiful motorcycles ever produced.

Just out of curiosity, where are you looking at the bike?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyrottin View Post
I own both, or have owned both, a white 848 and the MV 750F4SR. The 848 was sold when I started seeing them everywhere I turned. The Duc was ever so slightly more of an upright riding position than my SR but the exclusivity associated with a 300 run production model and a 750 with 146 hp more than compensated for that. The MV is undoubtedly on of the most beautiful motorcycles ever produced.

I haven't owned/ridden a 848, but I totally agree with what you said about the mv! +1

Last edited by adamv1000; 06-15-2009 at 02:50 AM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyrottin View Post

thanks for the comments - very useful the bike is in new zealand
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 09:46 PM
Established Member

Thought I would mention one more thing....you won't be disappointed with the performance from either bike. At this level, unless you are racing them, both will be one of the best bikes on the street. I believe but have no statistical facts to back it up that the MV would be faster on the track...but that is only opinion.

Last edited by johnyrottin; 06-15-2009 at 10:05 AM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 10:47 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVASyd View Post
Hi I have ridden both.
I have also raced a 784R, and ridden the F4 SPR and a 749R on the track a number of times.

Apart from the obvious difference that the 848 is a newer design and that it is a twin vs a 4, this would be my take.

The SPR 750 F4 is special bike, similar in feel to a 748R but with a longer and higher top end, so on the track it is a step up.
The 848 is lighter and has a more compact and modern riding position (the F4 is more flat and racier.).

The F4 has higher spec components and a lot more adjustability than the 848. Also the F4 is very well designed with bodywork fit, and finish etc superior.You can change to track bodywork very easily, while the 848 takes abit of spanner work.

The F4 is a 4 and a high revving one so you need to work it, take your 848 and add about 2000 revs to everything and you get the picture. It is smooth and absolutely screams at high revs, sound totally opposite to the drone of the Duke.

If you can swing it and have both it would be a perfect garage mate. They handle and feel simiar but the engines are differnet in the way they go about their business.The SPR came at the wrong time (just when everyone was going to 1000's), but it is special for sure. If you don't want a 1000 you won't be dissapointed.

Goodluck.
Great post.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 05:08 AM

I have ridden both on the street, to keep it simple:

*position wise the 848 wins hands down. I found the F4 750 to much of a wrist & back breaker.

*Sound wise the MV wins IMO. I still think my MV sounded better than the S4R w/termis that i just bought.

*Performance, both need to be revved but the MV more so. The Ducati is the better 'town' bike but if you are blasting the MV is fine.

*Looks the MV kills it.

If i were buying today i would buy the 848, purely because it's newer, has more new techo bits and easier to live with day to day IMO. If you were talking about a 1000S or R then i would say buy the MV without a doubt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode