Slipper Clutch Question - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Slipper Clutch Question

Hi guy's

I have install the STM slipper clutch on my F4 R312, and it look like something is going wrong. I am quite sure that I haved assemble the clutch properly but when I put in 1st gear with the bike on the rear stand, the wheel is spinning like hell... it look like the clutch is not doing anything.
What should I do ???? before I open everything again

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 12:36 PM

I ran into the EXACT same problem. I took mine apart no less than 14 times and put it back together, only to have the same result each time. What I found is that the oil became very sticky, and caused the plates to stick together. After a short ride, the problem corrected itself.

To test the situation, go ahead and start the bike with it up on the rearstand. Pull in the clutch, and put the bike in gear -- yes, the wheel will spin like crazy. Apply the rear brake while holding the clutch lever in..... the engine should not die if the problem is indeed just sticky motor oil between the plates. If the engine dies, you've got another issue.

If the engine didn't die, go for a short ride. The problem should go away as the oil heats up and thins out.

Feel free to PM me if you need to.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 01:36 PM

does the slipper render the EBS ineffective?

'08 F4R312
'06 Brutale 910
'06 Triumph Daytona 675 - track
'04 Ducati ST4s sold
'05 Ducati Monster S2R 800 sold
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Rand View Post
I ran into the EXACT same problem. I took mine apart no less than 14 times and put it back together, only to have the same result each time. What I found is that the oil became very sticky, and caused the plates to stick together. After a short ride, the problem corrected itself.

To test the situation, go ahead and start the bike with it up on the rearstand. Pull in the clutch, and put the bike in gear -- yes, the wheel will spin like crazy. Apply the rear brake while holding the clutch lever in..... the engine should not die if the problem is indeed just sticky motor oil between the plates. If the engine dies, you've got another issue.

If the engine didn't die, go for a short ride. The problem should go away as the oil heats up and thins out.

I do totaly agree with G.Rand in this case.

/R
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika View Post
I should not think so.

2007 Senna #148/300
2012 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 03:05 PM

The slipper typically is a little tight when new. Ride it around and it should loosen up.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika View Post
it depends on the springs within the clutch. most slippers are a ball and ramp style with little springs forcing the ball into notches so that the force can be transferred. if the force is in the wrong direction then the bearing rolls up the ramp and then drops into the next notch. so the outer "ramps" spins (like a ratchet)

on some high end clutches you can adjust the slipper so the bike can behave anywhere from like a two-stroke with no engine breaking right down to only slipping if you dump it to redline on a downshift. i've got mine set so that i get about 80% of the full EBS but it's only really there so i can downshift aggressively and not lock the rear.

also how is running the bike while up on the side stand not a recipe for disaster??

Last edited by Snohman; 06-08-2009 at 08:23 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Rand View Post

Thanks G. Rand
I will try today
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 03:11 AM

Heads Up! It never occurred to me until it arose, but you can't bump start a motorcycle with a slipper clutch! I discovered this on a steep hill near my house..it was fun pushing it back up the hill to the jumper cables...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 03:18 AM
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by khfx View Post
Heads Up! It never occurred to me until it arose, but you can't bump start a motorcycle with a slipper clutch! I discovered this on a steep hill near my house..it was fun pushing it back up the hill to the jumper cables...

hehe...sorry man, that made me chuckle....

'06 MV Agusta Brutale 910 || '03 MV Agusta F4 750 - Moto Corse Challenge 2 || '05 Yamaha FJR1300A || '04 Honda CBR600RR || '96 Honda XR250 || '90 Honda CBR250RR (MC22) || '89 Honda VT250 Spada

Tokyo, Japan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode