2005 F4 1000S and Oxidation - MVAgusta.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

2005 F4 1000S and Oxidation

I pulled the tank off my bike last weekend and didn't like what I saw. Age is taking its toll on the bike and I was wondering what you guys are doing to keep your bikes oxidation free.

The engine cases and the valve cover had a lot of white oxidation. I'm almost at the point where I want to drop the motor over the winter and blast it clean.

What are some of you guys doing to keep oxidation at Bay? I know the west coast guys probably don't have this issue as much as the east coast guys. Reminds me of a car collector that I know who always told me to never buy an east coast car.

2005 MV F4-1000S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 09:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to nigelrb Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
An idea recently shown on a Honda forum is buying a pool liner, wheeling the bike in, installing 2 caravan type dehumidifiers and then sealing with 'bulldog' type clips Supposedly very effective and an 'el cheapo' version of the plastic bubble. Pic illustrates:
Attached Images

2007 MV F4 1000R

Last edited by nigelrb; 07-17-2018 at 09:08 AM. Reason: pic wouldn't load
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 05:51 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
You just have to control the humidity at your garage with a good equipment. There are a lot of options on the market. If you do that your bike will be safe.

Best Regards,
Luis Miguel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 06:47 AM

How are you cleaning your bike? Especially before storage.

Speaking from experience. I have NEVER wash my bike with a bucket of water and car soap and hose. This is on a Tambo with just touch 10,000km after 12 years of ownership. so I don't ride her often about 1000km per year.

I've always use a waterless wash to clean the bike after a ride. I use Optimum Opti-clean all the time and have ZERO oxidation on any alloy parts. I buy Opti-clean in gallons which makes 4 gallons of waterless wash.

As no water makes contact with the bike, there is no chance of oxidation. Plus the Opti-clean leaves protective coating on any surface it touches.

Using a waterless wash should reduce or slow down the alloy oxidising.

nigelrb likes this.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!!

Last edited by minime; 07-19-2018 at 06:51 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 01:20 AM

You may find this link helpful

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...on-protectants

2000 F4 750

Last edited by Glenno; 07-21-2018 at 01:03 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 11:31 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by minime View Post
How are you cleaning your bike? Especially before storage.

Speaking from experience. I have NEVER wash my bike with a bucket of water and car soap and hose. This is on a Tambo with just touch 10,000km after 12 years of ownership. so I don't ride her often about 1000km per year.

I've always use a waterless wash to clean the bike after a ride. I use Optimum Opti-clean all the time and have ZERO oxidation on any alloy parts. I buy Opti-clean in gallons which makes 4 gallons of waterless wash.

As no water makes contact with the bike, there is no chance of oxidation. Plus the Opti-clean leaves protective coating on any surface it touches.

Using a waterless wash should reduce or slow down the alloy oxidising.

Don’t get me wrong. But I had one house near the sea and the humidity/water comes from the weather not the treatment you give to the bike. You need a special equipment in your garage to create a normal environment without humidity. That is the only real option. It is expensive but works.
nigelrb likes this.

Best Regards,
Luis Miguel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 12:59 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
I live within two miles of the ocean and a quick spray with a metal preservative works wonders. It does not have to be expensive.

Gapalicious 2020 at
from Sept. 23-Sept.27, 2020

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 01:40 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
I live within two miles of the ocean and a quick spray with a metal preservative works wonders. It does not have to be expensive.
Ok. With bikes it could work. But, like you should know, the humidity problem destroys cars and bikes since ever. You can read it in all the car and bike forums. You must be very careful with the bike if you live near a beach or somewhere with a lot of humidity. I work in a car factory and have access to tests. All the cars that go to that kind of places have corrosion problems. But your solution is cheaper than mine. And a bike is smaller than a car. So it might work.....

Best Regards,
Luis Miguel
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 04:56 AM

Take the time to look at the Bennets link I supplied above. It is a pretty exhaustive test of a range of anti corrosion products. Some of which are well advertised do not perform very well. Agreed waterless wash won't solve the OPs issues. In some cases a good wet wash will do more to prevent atmospheric related corrosion by removing the salt spray, road grime and associated crud than a waterless wash. The key is making sure you remove standing water from problem area afterwards.

For me a waterless is wash is only used for a interim between decent washes. Fortunately corrosion is not an issue where I live so I can get away with 1-2 full wet details annually.

2000 F4 750

Last edited by Glenno; 07-25-2018 at 12:46 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for these suggestions.

Glenno,

I'll have a look at that link as well.

2005 MV F4-1000S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode