Don't skimp on servicing - rear hub !! - Page 2 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 07:39 AM
Established Member

have just done mine and found the double row bearing gone so replaced the lot.........i now keep a spare hub with new bearings and seals.............have a look at my pics...........keep an eye on them guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 08:51 AM

Send a message via MSN to ribasg3
You got me thinking guys.
Next week i will have the 24k kms service done...although i have 21k.
As you might remember the MV AGUSTA dealership in Greece has closed down and the service will be done at a friend mechanic who only does SS bikes.
As i have no idea...can you plz tell me , do i need to replace the rear hub or just check it for signs of wear?

My bike is a F4 750S evo3.

Thank you all
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 08:59 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Rear hub bearings to be cleaned, inspected and greased or renewed at every 7500 mile service (12000 Km).

Proper chain tension (not too tight, please), and fastener torque are essential to bearing life. Pressure washing will also shorten life by driving water into bearings and washing grease out.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 02:34 AM

If the hub is in good condition it will push out easily I had to bash mine with a hammer!

Will check this new bike every 12000kms myself - don't trust the workshops anymore!

MV Agusta 1000S 1+1 (2004); Suzuki GSXR 600 (2005); Honda CB750; Honda CB175; BSA 350 (1939) ;
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 07:11 PM
Established Member

I'm pleased that this fault was found by your service agents, to think what might have happened if it had seized at high speed or around a bend is unimaginable. As this seems to be a common fault I consider this to be a very serious manufacturing fault putting peoples lives at risk.

The bike only has a miserly 7500 miles under it's wheels, it appears to be well looked after and dealer serviced. MV should cough up and pay for replacement even though it's well passed it's warranty.

Is this part fit for purpose? As it's not an isolated occurrence I'm not sure that it is.

What would happen if Ford produced a part on their cars which would endanger lives? Would they ignore the problem, I don't think so, vehicles would be recalled and modified parts fitted. What will it take? Somebody to loose their life?

That's my two penneth worth.

Gazz
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Hi Gazz

You are right about 'fit for purpose' it's clearly not. To have the hub of a high performance sports bike incorporate three different types of bearings and have some sealed and unsealed is a recipe for disaster. Clearly dangerous and quite a sobering thought when i think of what could have happened!! The bike was well looked after, but was serviced by a dealership in ipswich (not mv) prior to my purchase. I know what mv would say if i tried to claim on the spindle.

But complete failure at 7500 miles is a joke.

I just wonder if the hub has ever been modified for the later bikes or whether the same hub is still used?

As for putting pressure on mv, i believe it would have to be a collective approach by all of us who have been placed in danger by what otherwise is a fantastic bike.

thanks
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul123kenneth View Post
Hi Gazz

But complete failure at 7500 miles is a joke.

I just wonder if the hub has ever been modified for the later bikes or whether the same hub is still used?

As for putting pressure on mv, i believe it would have to be a collective approach by all of us who have been placed in danger by what otherwise is a fantastic bike.

thanks
Well said sir. I echo your sentiment that the rear hub fusing into something unrecognizable with only so few miles is ridiculous indeed.

I would also like to know if the hub has been modified in any way. All I do know is on my bike I switched from the stock hub to the magnesium ORO hub through my MV dealership when the bike had around 3k miles. I will still be of course making it a point to get the hub checked out at every service.

I hope MV have not repeated the same mistakes (overheating, hub) on their next gen of bikes.

2007 Senna #148/300
2012 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul123kenneth View Post

thanks

That sounds like a good idea.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 06:34 AM
Established Member

i have just been in contact with moto gb.......they give me a very quick reply,take the bike to your local dealer where you can make a claim...........but what if your bike is out of its warranty??after all this time they should have reconised there is a genuine safety issue here.EVERY HUB FAIL SHOULD BE REPORTED maybe then they will listen
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 06:56 AM

wow that's fark. How come the spindle split in two different places, could it be that the pervious owner or service person over tighten the spindle? If the hub failed wouldn't the bearing(s) discinigrate well before the spindle?

Also how come the 55mm nut is blacken and burnt in colour? Did someone use a blow torch to release the nut?

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode