mysterious grease grime - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

mysterious grease grime

So I had posted up before about some mysterious grease/grime on the Lt side. down around where the mid fairing meets the belly pan. I had found the kickstand switch a little loose and super grimey so i tighten the bolts. but it looks like oil or something is coming from one of them. If I run the bike on a stand well above temp nothing is leaking. seems to only be there when I come back from a ride. any suggestions? and I am not 100% this is where it is coming from that area just seems to be wet. And no other area is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 08:52 AM
lee

It COULD be nothing more than residual grease on the kickstand pivot due to overexuberance on the part of the guy who greased it. Wipe off ALL the grease, oil or what ever around the kick stand pivot and see if that cures it. If not then pack toilet paper in the suspect area to find where it's coming from. Oil leaks are tough to trace and the TP is a great way to follow it back to the source. No shit. heh heh heh.

I got mine. Boy do I ever got mine.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 09:59 AM

Lube "fling" off chain ?? - this is what I've always assumed....
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 10:17 AM

Yeah I see that grease grimey stuff on my belly pan undersides as well. I dont know where it comes from but I wipe it off every time I clean my bike out.

And it is in all likelihood chain lube fling as cambuster pointed out. I used the Dupont teflon stuff but somehow that doesnt fling at all though...so I dont know what the grease actually is....

2007 Senna #148/300
2012 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 10:19 AM
MV1

There is a cover seal in that immidate area that can leak as well. It's part of the gear box and covers the gear shift shaft and surrounding area. Check that once it's all been cleaned good first. May need to be retorqued of the gasket changed.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV1 View Post
There is a cover seal in that immidate area that can leak as well. It's part of the gear box and covers the gear shift shaft and surrounding area. Check that once it's all been cleaned good first. May need to be retorqued of the gasket changed.
I believe I know where you are talking and that is what I first thought.

It is not chain lube this stuff on the side looks and feels just like oil. its not a ton but enough to make a mess.

I will try the TP stuff for sure that is a pretty good idea. I usually just let it go and by the time I clean the bike it is defanetley grime but I have been watching it right after riding and seems to be more oily then grime.

yesterday I got home seen it pulled the HOT ASS fairing off the side and seen one of the bolts on the kickstand switch a little wet and the kickstand when moved back n forth was really wet and greasy as well. I wiped the kick stand pivot and everytime I worked it back and forth more oil/grease was there. when the weather clears I will be looking more into it.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 12:13 PM
MV1

Not that it makes it any more acceptable but this is actually a pretty common little annoyance on the bike, although MV by nature will be sure to deny even knowing about it for sure if you ask.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Established Member

You seem to have eliminated everything else, so my guess is oil seeping past the clutch push rod - the design where the sprocket cover mates against the motor makes it very difficult to maintain an oil-tight seal here and there isn't a gasket, just a bushing where the rod goes through.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 01:33 PM

I found air filter oil leaking down the left side of the bike... ( It was green in color)

k
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 04:17 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Chain lube on a hot engine resembles motor oil. Even the best "non-fling - clean" chain lubes will pile up grease under the sprocket cover, which then melts and runs down. Not an MV specific item.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode