F4 1078 fixed. EBS not to blame! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

F4 1078 fixed. EBS not to blame!

Finally problem (cylinders not working properly) was fixed last night. Findings:

1). Cylinder no 1 only was the problem. So finally NOT EBS related.
2). Spark in cylinder 1 was fouled as all connections and wiring loom were fine (especially tension coils on all 4 cylinders). What caused the fouling of that one plug yet unknown.
3). All existing sparks (make NGK CR9EB) should have (according to the book) a reistance of 4.5 KΩ to 5.5 ΚΩ). Mine had only 3.6ΚΩ. New NGK Iridium CR9EIX had 4.4ΚΩ and replaced all 4. Not sure if this (bike's own plugs having 3.6ΚΩ resistance) is normal. Surely more current passes through..
4). The general feed relay was found problematic with 1 connection lead/pin damaged. In the absence of the standard 40A relay (still waiting from UK) we placed a 30A one with similar pins. Works fine for the time being.
5). As this was a firing problem and not injection related, question is what caused the fouling of the cylinder 1 plug and whether is related to the general feed relay 'damage'. The other spark plugs worked fine and all showed no discoloration (black) or grease residue on tips or .. Sparks' condition was good.

Appreciate all the comments and pictures from everyone in the last month and will again appreciate opinions on point 3 and 5 above i.e. whether resistance of a spark being a problem and what can cause the fouling of a plug in any of the cylinders. Because it may happen again.

Thanks again.
P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 10:20 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Plug could have fouled for a number of reasons.....New bike break in. Crappy gas. Long warm-up before riding. Defective plug (yes...it can happen).....don't worry about it unless it happens again relatively soon...then I would suspect weak coil.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 04:32 AM

Number 1 plug may have more chance of fouling than the others if the air filter was oiled too much from the factory due to the fact that the oil runs towards cylinder 1 when the bike is on the side stand, otherwise probably plug or coil related, if it does it again swap the coil to another cylinder and see if the fault goes with it.

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikef4uk View Post
Number 1 plug may have more chance of fouling than the others if the air filter was oiled too much from the factory due to the fact that the oil runs towards cylinder 1 when the bike is on the side stand, otherwise probably plug or coil related, if it does it again swap the coil to another cylinder and see if the fault goes with it.
Thanks Mike that makes sense and will do. I am just confused with the general feed relay malfunction and whether this is related to the foul plug.. Electric-current wise that is.
What do you think of the plug's resistance issue i.e. instead of 4.5-5.5ΚΩ only 3.6ΚΩ? Or am I paying this more attention than it deserves?

Thanks
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 05:18 AM

Mpravo re, epitelous!!!

...People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP1098 View Post
Thanks Mike that makes sense and will do. I am just confused with the general feed relay malfunction and whether this is related to the foul plug.. Electric-current wise that is.
What do you think of the plug's resistance issue i.e. instead of 4.5-5.5ΚΩ only 3.6ΚΩ? Or am I paying this more attention than it deserves?

Thanks
I always thought the 'r' in the plug name was to do with suppresion to stop interference, you either had resistance leads and normal plugs or resistance plugs and normal ht leads if the plug was fouled it would have a lower resistance
to earth (as thats where the spark is going) I wouldn't read too much into it, it could be one of a number of things, faulty plug, over oiled airfilter, contamination of plug before being fitted, gap too large etc, my money would still be an over oiled air filter and the oil seeps across the filter when the bike is hot and on the side stand.

I'm not sure about the general relay fault, I would have thought it would have showed up in other area's as well, maybe they have caught it in time and it will avoid hassle in the future?

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by demitris View Post
Mpravo re, epitelous!!!
Nai itan kairos. Aplo thema alla esygxistika me to relay kai oti ediavasa. Elpizo mono na min mou xanakapsi spark dioti kati allo tha symvainei.

Thanks
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 01:23 AM

Hallayluya

Hallayluya brother!

That's great news after all the hassle you've been through. Who would''ve suspected plugs on a brand new bike? Good that you were thorough and determined.

You wait 'till that baby is run in... you are in for a well deserved surprise. What a rush these bikes are in so many ways.

Just think... you know your bike so well now, there's nothing you can't put your finger on in the future. We'll all be asking YOU for help with info in the future.

Excellent news P.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiv View Post
Hallayluya brother!

That's great news after all the hassle you've been through. Who would''ve suspected plugs on a brand new bike? Good that you were thorough and determined.

You wait 'till that baby is run in... you are in for a well deserved surprise. What a rush these bikes are in so many ways.

Just think... you know your bike so well now, there's nothing you can't put your finger on in the future. We'll all be asking YOU for help with info in the future.

Excellent news P.
Thanks Stiv, indeed I guess I busted everyone's balls with this. But it can get very frustrating..

Bike is fast no doubt. Well I wouldn't count on my knowhow to fix any bike and it was my mechanic who suspected the problem.

At least if same happens to a 1078 (God forbid) you know where to start.

By the way solution was possible based on a certain attachment by you so again thank you, much appreciated.

P.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode