MOT Test - safety related issues - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

MOT Test - safety related issues

People,

In the UK after a vehicle is 3 years old it is subject to a yearly "MOT" inspection which looks at things like lights, tyres, bearings, horn etc.

My 2000 model MV F4 is up for it's MOT in a week. It has done 4300 miles since new in 2000 and to date I have not noticed anything that doesn't feel right. It has a standard exhaust.

Can anyone advise on common MV faults which occur prior to or at around this mileage. I cannot feel any wear etc in the headset, the tyres are all OK and all lights are functioning properly.

I am slightly concerned that the wheel bearings might struggle at this mileage, although I have not felt anything that could suggest worn bearings (although I dont know if such a fault worn become apparent quickly)

Cheers

Paul

When my Dad and I first laid our eyes on an MV Agusta at the UK launch, we were simply blown away.................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 10:49 AM
Established Member

hi submariner
mine is a 2006 with 6500 on the clock no problems
passed first mot
so at your mileage dont think you will have a problem
cheers nick
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Established Member

Hi Submariner,
I brought my uncles Fazer 1000 to MOT last week and the guy walked round the bike and shrugged his shoulders and then said he would get me the certificate. Basically he gave the impression he didnt know what to look for. I have experienced this before on other occasions. If your bike is clean and your tyres are good condition then I dont think you will have a problem. Besides do you not need to have the paddock stand to check the bearings (I think this is the case)? Unless your MV has a centre stand I wouldnt worry lol. I bet it breezes through. Good luck.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Cheers fellas, I will make sure it is looking super duper so the scene is set when the MOTer first sets eyes on such a glorious motorcycle

When my Dad and I first laid our eyes on an MV Agusta at the UK launch, we were simply blown away.................
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 04:06 PM
Banned

my 2003 EV03 has got through MOT's every year no problem with only 2 hick-ups, one was side wear on rear tyre, which was my own fault and I should have picked up on,

the other thing that was picked up was wear on the bush on my rear shock, it never failed for this but a cuationary notice was attached to the MOT, this was a thing I never considered looking at prior to the MOT

maybe worth a check

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F41NXS View Post
my 2003 EV03 has got through MOT's every year no problem with only 2 hick-ups, one was side wear on rear tyre, which was my own fault and I should have picked up on,

the other thing that was picked up was wear on the bush on my rear shock, it never failed for this but a cuationary notice was attached to the MOT, this was a thing I never considered looking at prior to the MOT

maybe worth a check

They all seem to have a little wear there, all 3 of mine had, I think it's probably the quality of the rose joints in the height adjuster

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 04:41 PM

The standard test for steering bearings is to tilt the bike over the stand so that the front wheel is raised slightly, then turn the steering, looking for a central 'notch'. Then push the front forks back and fore, looking for play. The wheel is then grasped top/bottom and wiggled, again looking for play in the wheel bearings - this will show up a loose wheel as well.
(I'm not an MOT tester, but I've seen a few who look as if they know what they are looking for).
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 04:56 PM

Mine was MOT'd last week. 2002 with 11500 miles. passed no probs. There were two guys doing the test. One was balancing the bike on one wheel and side stand while the other checked the bearings, etc. Wasn't to happy as I've had a side stand snap.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 07:27 AM

With an early F4 one thing that you might want to look at is whether your rear brake is still working correctly as they go off very quickly. I always bleed mine right before an MOT as 100 miles later it's non-operational again.

Si
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 07:55 AM
X81

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikef4uk View Post
They all seem to have a little wear there, all 3 of mine had, I think it's probably the quality of the rose joints in the height adjuster

Is the correct answer, every single MV i have seen from brand new to 10 years old has free play in the rear end, it "feels" like a suspension bush that has gone but is actually the rose joints in the ride height adjuster.

If it is likely to fail on anything it will be that.

Otherwise check that brake pads are within limits, forks seals aren't blown, wheel bearings are not knocking, headraces aren't loose and knocking or tight and notchy.

HTH

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode