Some assistance... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Some assistance...

Hey there... I was hoping someone might lead me in the right direction with a parts search. I'm looking for a complete swing arm assembly for a 2006 F4 1000. A friend of mine has a wrecked bike that I'm thinking about picking up and rebuilding as a track bike. I can find just the swing arm and just a handful of the parts to put one together but I can't find a complete swing arm.

I'm sure I can get one from the dealer but I don't want to know what that's going to cost. I'm hoping to find a complete swing arm used and in serviceable condition.

And that's it. Aside from a brand new one from the dealer anyone know where I can get a used one or where I can search.

Thanks for your time,
Scotty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 06:28 PM

i'm sure CAG or JDS will pipe up shortly.

if you can afford it, there are lightweight magnesium swing-arms floating around - http://www.emotouk.com/mvagusta/magnesium.htm - just don't buy them off emoto....
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. The magnesium is really hot and tempting. A little expensive for a track bike though. Looks like you only get the swing arm and some of it's smaller components. The parts I can't find are the sprocket/rotor carrier and axle assemblies. Looks like eccentric hubs are a dime a dozen as well as the rear caliper bracket.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 08:39 PM
Banned

CAG ????

come on, help the guy, before mV hit him with the $$$$ sign /
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmissile View Post
Hey there... I was hoping someone might lead me in the right direction with a parts search. I'm looking for a complete swing arm assembly for a 2006 F4 1000. A friend of mine has a wrecked bike that I'm thinking about picking up and rebuilding as a track bike. I can find just the swing arm and just a handful of the parts to put one together but I can't find a complete swing arm.

I'm sure I can get one from the dealer but I don't want to know what that's going to cost. I'm hoping to find a complete swing arm used and in serviceable condition.

And that's it. Aside from a brand new one from the dealer anyone know where I can get a used one or where I can search.

Thanks for your time,
Scotty
I remember reading somewhere there was a racing team that had Six spare swing arms from the factory that they couldn't use because they wanted them 15mm longer or something.
Worth chasing or researching. Someone here on this forum should know who that was?
They were magnesium from memory so still could be expensive.
Stiv
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by F41NXS View Post
CAG ????

come on, help the guy, before mV hit him with the $$$$ sign /
Not sure if I should laugh or cry at that. That's really funny.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

Honestly I could afford a magnesium swing arm but the money I would save with an aluminum arm will go to the other parts I need to save this bike.

The guy low sided the bike going into turn 1 at Roebling. When it hit the grass it tumbled into a yard sale. He's planning to part out what's left of it. Obviously the bodywork is trashed but the front and rear suspension is done too. Even the wheels are beyond repair. I asked him to hold off until I can figure out if it's salvageable. So far everything is fairly easy to get except for the swing arm parts. The arms themselves are in abundance even. Magnesium and aluminum both. I've been searching like crazy for a complete arm but haven't had any luck. Thought I would ask around here and see if anyone can point me in the right direction.

The race team sounds like it has potential. Any more info on that?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 06:17 AM

With that degree of damage you describe in comparison to what MVs are going for on the aftermarket don't see anyway you could rebuild the bike for less $$$

I hate Roebling road!

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmissile View Post
Honestly I could afford a magnesium swing arm but the money I would save with an aluminum arm will go to the other parts I need to save this bike.

The guy low sided the bike going into turn 1 at Roebling. When it hit the grass it tumbled into a yard sale. He's planning to part out what's left of it. Obviously the bodywork is trashed but the front and rear suspension is done too. Even the wheels are beyond repair. I asked him to hold off until I can figure out if it's salvageable. So far everything is fairly easy to get except for the swing arm parts. The arms themselves are in abundance even. Magnesium and aluminum both. I've been searching like crazy for a complete arm but haven't had any luck. Thought I would ask around here and see if anyone can point me in the right direction.

The race team sounds like it has potential. Any more info on that?

Chris
2014 B3 Brutale 800
That's Giuliano Maoggi and the start of the 1956 Motogiro d'Italia.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Under normal circumstances that would likely be the case but the guy is practically giving me the bike. I think he just wants to wash his hands of it. He doesn't sound to motivated to start parting it out. I definitely can't get a used bike for what it would cost to rebuild this one. But this bike will never see the street again, no doubt about that.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 09:44 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
The only parts that are usually missing from the basic swingarm would be the rear axle assembly (pivot bearings, seals and spacer come in replacement swingarm).
The hub and spindle are parts damaged by poor bearing service/improper chain tensioning and thus normally not sold with a swingarm or easy to find used.
Sprocket carrier, brake disc, etc, rarely replaced (hence good used readily available).
I think your best bet is to get the bare swingaram and source the hub/axle and associated bits by themselves.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode