Schwantz School - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
ESP
Established Member

Send a message via Skype™ to ESP
Schwantz School

I'm signing up for Kevin Schwantz school at the end of May. Anybody have any feedback for me, or recommendations on gear to bring?

I have a back brace, and leather aplinestars pants. I'm going to buy a jacket this week. I will be riding the school provided GSX-R. I have a good bit of experience on the track in a car, and am looking forward to doing it on a bike!

Has anyone attended Schwantz school?

-Eric

Garage:

2005 Tambo #105 (Race Brembo Monoblocks, and controls, custom seat)
2006 Ducati Xerox 999R #172 (too much to list, show)
2006 Bimota DB6R Delirio #6 (Zard exhaust, red lamps)
2007 Senna #184 (Uprated pumps, rear sets, Ti bolts, controls, HID, Integrated rear led brakes turn signals)
2007 GSX-R Sixer (Ti/Ti/Cf pipe, Yosh Racing Cam, pwr commander)
2007 Aprilia SR-50 R Factory (Leo Pipe and weights, it goes 50!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 07:30 AM
Established Member

Send a message via MSN to Furre
i dont have any feedback, but i hope you will enjoy it!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 11:32 AM

Make sure the jacket and pants zip together, all the way around.
You didn't mention boots and gloves - you'll need both. Above-the-ankle motorcycle boots and gauntlets.
Get some strap-on knee pucks if your pants don't have sliders built-in.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
ESP
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptyk View Post
Make sure the jacket and pants zip together, all the way around.
You didn't mention boots and gloves - you'll need both. Above-the-ankle motorcycle boots and gauntlets.
Get some strap-on knee pucks if your pants don't have sliders built-in.

The pants have the pucks on them, so i should be good. I'll check to make sure they zip together though I did not know to look for this so that's good.

Has anyone taken Kevin's class? Although I have been riding since I was a kid, I'm anxious to learn how to be a better rider.

-Eric

Garage:

2007 Senna #184 (Uprated pumps, rear sets, Ti bolts, controls, HID, Integrated rear led brakes turn signals)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 05:46 PM

Hey E:

I posted this in response to your Schwantz post in the group ride section, not sure if you saw it, so here goes, again, just in case:

"For me, the main diff between car track days and bike track days is how hard you drive a car into a turn compared to a bike. The bike is in like a lamb, out like a lion...with the car, it can be in like a maniac, out like a lion (which will get you into trouble every time on a bike) I went to Code & Spencer's schools and both said exactly the same thing "Car guys generally brake way too deep, drive way too hard into the turns and tend to override the bike, you got to calm down, relax and be smooth". Slow down and and listen to the instructors...it can be very frustrating and humbling unlearning bad habits...and remember to have fun."

Update: Never been to Kevin's school, but I'm sure it'll be great, most of these schools pretty much teach the same way (just like the car schools) with emphasizes on different elements of riding, ie: Spencer focused on trail braking and getting into the turns, with a pretty good secondary focus on body movement and not a lot of consideration paid to fixed reference points.

Code was much more about throttle control and getting out of the turns, body position (more so than body movement) and a lot of focus on fixed reference points for turn in and braking.

With that said, they are all about smooth input and not riding above your head. You will learn a lot if you relax, listen and don't try to be the fastest guy out there (and don't worry about whether or not your knee touches the ground, that comes, when it comes)

As far as gear goes, just make sure it's high quality and fits well, too tight or too loose can be a nightmare. Make sure you have good gloves (Alpinestars, Dainese, Held, etc) a good helmet (Arai, Shoei, Suomy, AGV, etc) and good boots (Sidi, Alpinestars, Dainese, etc) you don't have to spend a fortune, deff want the pant and jacket to zip together (you will deff want a lightweight back protector, T-Pro/ForceField is good, light, comfortable and around $150 bucks, and it wouldn't hurt if the jacket had a bit of track focus with shoulder and elbow armor) and I would recommend going to a good gear shop and getting fitted by the apparel person, as opposed to trying to save a few bucks by buying online (you said you have the pants, take them with you to shop, so you know if they'll zip together)...and be sure you wear the new bits on a few rides prior to going to the school.

Good Luck
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
ESP
Established Member

DB: Thanks Man! that is very helpful. All of my track time in cars (open wheel formula style and road cars) I have always tried to be the fastest guy out on track, I guess it is my competitive nature, the problem is and I'm not trying to be arrogant I typically am.

I tend to learn quickly and am somewhat natural when it comes to anything with a motor (dirt bike, quads, street bikes, cars). That said I have a tendency to pickup bad habits and shortcuts that do not lead to maximizing my skill set. So your advice about listening to the instructors is well received and probably something I need to focus on especially.

Thanks for the advice, this is what I needed to hear! I can't wait to go!!

-Eric

Garage:

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 05:46 PM

You're most welcome...I can drive the S**t out of a race car, shifter kart, ski, etc...that skill got me into trouble with bikes on pavement, as sliding your car or kart into a gravel trap is somewhat different than highsiding your bike into a gravel trap. It hurts and it can be very expensive. I spent my first full day at a bike school nearly crashing, frustrating the instructors and being told over and over to calm down and slow down. I've done enough school days now to know, I'd rather learn the best and correct way to get around the track, than trying to be the fastest guy in the group...going fast on a motorcycle is a result of doing it right, not a result of bravery. Save the track records for track days and consider you'll probably do 10-12 track and or school days before your ready to be riding a bike at a level, near where you were driving your car. You will have some frustration early on, so have some patience, it will pass...you will have a blast, and that won't pass. Approach this like you're going to learn French, not like you're going to learn to be Rossi.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
ESP
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB Graves View Post
You're most welcome...I can drive the S**t out of a race car, shifter kart

You know I probably would have gone in thinking the same thing!!! Good to hear this from someone else that has car experience before bike experience on the track.

I'll let you know how it goes!

-Eric

Garage:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode