Hmmm..... so where can i get the GP shift for the F4? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm..... so where can i get the GP shift for the F4?

I think i've asked this before sometime ago, but i'm still looking for the reversed shift for the F4 but haven't found one.
Does anyone know where i can get one and what's the price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 05:39 PM
MV Cellist

Send a message via Yahoo to odonata Send a message via Skype™ to odonata
Tiago,

There are 2 ways, you either go with an aftermarket rearset with reverse/GP shifting linkage(Sato, Gilles, Rizoma etc), or you can have the MV reverse shift drum installed,practically there is no difference in performance, but with the linkage option you can switch between standard and reverse pattern easily.

I have the drum on my Senna, and Gilles with linkage on the 910R.

O D O N A T A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 05:42 PM
MV Cellist

BTW, the shift drums you can order from your local MV dealer, the part is under US$200, installation is around 3 hours.

and you can check for the prices for the aftermarket rearsets online, installation is free- DIY.

O D O N A T A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 07:26 PM
The Machinist

Quote:
Originally Posted by odonata View Post
BTW, the shift drums you can order from your local MV dealer, the part is under US$200, installation is around 3 hours.

and you can check for the prices for the aftermarket rearsets online, installation is free- DIY.

+1

I have the drum as well and love it. I put the FBF rearsets on also. Great adjustability, and hassle free.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odonata View Post
Tiago,

There are 2 ways, you either go with an aftermarket rearset with reverse/GP shifting linkage(Sato, Gilles, Rizoma etc), or you can have the MV reverse shift drum installed,practically there is no difference in performance, but with the linkage option you can switch between standard and reverse pattern easily.

I have the drum on my Senna, and Gilles with linkage on the 910R.

+1 On a side note: if you buy the MV shift drum, carefully inspect the milled drum pattern for metal burrs or inconsistencies BEFORE you install it. I didn't, and discovered that when downshifting from 5th to 4th I fall into a "false neutral" and can't find a gear up or down...... not cool when you're doing 160+ MPH down a straitaway headed for a 90 degree left turn and need to depend on some engine braking.

I obviously have a burr that needs to be milled smooth.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 08:39 PM

My personal preference is the shift drum. I know that some people think that there isn't a difference between it and a reversible linkage, but there is. Any time you add a linkage to system there is additional slop which can lead to poor shifting performance etc. This comes not only from the bearing play but also from tiny deflections is the constituent parts. Each peace deflects the tiniest bit, but the total deflection is the sum of all the different parts. This worsens as the parts begin to wear and tolerances become looser. The reverse shift drum doesn't add any linkages to the system so you basically get the same gearbox performance as the OEM set-up although it does take a little more effort to install. Thank god MV gave us a cassette transmission which otherwise does nothing but add weight.

If you are interested going this route, here are the part numbers and the costs at my local dealer for comparison:

8A0089414 REVERSE SHIFT DRUM $159.95

800081451 (X2) LOCKTAB $8.84

800080691 RH CASE GASKET $22.76

800086117 GEARBOX GASKET $3.34

800089406 SEAL RING $1.58

DRIVE CHAIN MASTERLINK (FOR WHATEVER CHAIN YOU HAVE)
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 02:20 AM
MV Cellist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobP View Post
My personal preference is the shift drum. I know that some people think that there isn't a difference between it and a reversible linkage, but there is. Any time you add a linkage to system there is additional slop which can lead to poor shifting performance etc. This comes not only from the bearing play but also from tiny deflections is the constituent parts. Each peace deflects the tiniest bit, but the total deflection is the sum of all the different parts. This worsens as the parts begin to wear and tolerances become looser. The reverse shift drum doesn't add any linkages to the system so you basically get the same gearbox performance as the OEM set-up although it does take a little more effort to install. Thank god MV gave us a cassette transmission which otherwise does nothing but add weight.

If you are interested going this route, here are the part numbers and the costs at my local dealer for comparison:

8A0089414 REVERSE SHIFT DRUM $159.95

800081451 (X2) LOCKTAB $8.84

800080691 RH CASE GASKET $22.76

800086117 GEARBOX GASKET $3.34

800089406 SEAL RING $1.58

DRIVE CHAIN MASTERLINK (FOR WHATEVER CHAIN YOU HAVE)
Ah yes, the hidden cost! I had to get all those parts when I did the reverse shift drum install.

Regarding the linkage, I am not sure if this makes sense scientifically, but I (and some other riders I know)have found that sometimes the shifting effort is reduced, the lever seem to "pop" into gear more easily, particularly finding neutral on a bike with vague neutral... wondering if there is added leverage with the linkage which helps it?

O D O N A T A

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

Guys, thanks for the great info

I would like to go the reverse shift drum route.
Some months ago i asked my dealer about it has i wanted to order the reversed shift drum and they told me it just didn't existed
I just and thought that if they knew so little about MV's i would better not order from them and have it installed by them .

Rob, what exactly is the DRIVE CHAIN MASTERLINK? Do i need to get it too and what's the cost?
And can you please do me a favour and check if your dealer has all those items in stock and let me know?
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 05:14 AM

One of the advantages with the after market rear sets is the adjustability of the footpeg position (up and down and forward and back). Not a big consideration on the road but very desireable for the track especially when locking your knees into the tank (reducing load on the bars)

Also the drum conversion limits those who can ride your bike (both pros and cons in this) where as the rearsets can be easily adjusted for both road & race pattern.

I installed Gillies rearsets on the F4 only to find that the fairing had to be modified to accomadate race pattern (see album)
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV-999R View Post
Guys, thanks for the great info

I would like to go the reverse shift drum route.
Some months ago i asked my dealer about it has i wanted to order the reversed shift drum and they told me it just didn't existed
I just and thought that if they knew so little about MV's i would better not order from them and have it installed by them .

Rob, what exactly is the DRIVE CHAIN MASTERLINK? Do i need to get it too and what's the cost?
And can you please do me a favour and check if your dealer has all those items in stock and let me know?
The drive chain master link is just the chain link. You need to break the chain to remove the transmission so you either need a new master link (if you are using a riveted chain) or a new link clip.

I will contact my dealer and see if they still have them in stock or not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode