Suspension Settings - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Suspension Settings

I everyone I have just bought a F4 750 year 2000! All i can say is WOW i love it

The previous owner had messed around with the suspension settings and it feels very bouncy. I saw this link

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_...f4s/index.html

It gives these setting for suspension:

Front: Preload: 4 lines showing; Rebound damping: 4 clicks out from full stiff; Compression damping: 5 clicks out from full stiff.
Rear: Preload: 18mm thread showing; Rebound damping: 3 clicks out from full stiff; Compression damping: 14 clicks out from full stiff; Ride height: 13mm link showing.

Has anyone tried these settings? Does anyone have the base settings for the bike, or their own setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 06:21 AM

Hey Buddy
I havnt tried those but I've got mine set to a softer setting. I found that the suspension was a little harsh when I got mine.

I've attached a scanned image of the suspension settings from the owners manual.

Hope it helps you.
Attached Images

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the help. What sort of ride height do you use on the rear? Think mine was on about 18mm

Last edited by Smark32; 05-04-2009 at 09:45 AM.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 09:41 PM

Unless you weight exactly the same as the person that is providing you with their settings, this exercise is rather moot...

Bringing everything back to the factory settings is a way of setting a reference point. If you cannot describe how the bike is unsuitable for yor riding style, but you have been on a bike that has been setup properly uniquely for you, then perhaps you should seek the help of a professional.

It's difficult for one of us on the forum to offer anything meaningful unless someone works directly with you. (Even if the forum member knows what he is talking about)

I.e. - A "harsh suspension" may actually be caused by lack of dampening...

Good luck,

Last edited by insider; 05-05-2009 at 12:17 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

The settings in the owners manual do not give the base setting for triple clamp height and rear ride height. Does anyone know it? Then i will go back to base settings and start from there. Thanks for the help.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smark32 View Post
The settings in the owners manual do not give the base setting for triple clamp height and rear ride height. Does anyone know it? Then i will go back to base settings and start from there. Thanks for the help.
Okay, the front fork arms need to have the 3rd mark lined up with the inside of the triple clamp. At the rear mine has the same as yours, 18mm, the manual doesn't seem to say.
Attached Images

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 09:41 PM

you can't really measure the rear via the height adjuster because when you adjust your chain the rear of the bike will be higher or lower due to the eccentric hub rotating. Different tyres will give you a different overall height as well. I use to run a 190 x 50, now a 190 x 55 and had to lower the rear slightly due to the taller 190 x 55 tyre.

A better way to measure the height would be from the rivet hole of the exhaust to the ground.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!!

Last edited by minime; 05-06-2009 at 09:45 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 09:53 PM

[quote=minime;264100]you can't really measure the rear via the height adjuster because when you adjust your chain the rear of the bike will be higher or lower due to the eccentric hub rotating....quote]

I agree with you, but this at least gives him a point to start at. I still think the best bet is either take it to a pro or go for a ride and do some adjusting as you go.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 04:09 PM

1MM of thread showing from the top lock ring.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help guys. I took it for a ride yesterday, but found there was not enough height on the rear due to it feeling light on the front down bumpy roads. Also it had to much rebound damping, because it would lose traction and spin up if i hit a little bump on hard acceleration. I have a r6 track bike with 120bhp at the wheel, and i have had it on some bumpy tracks but never found it to react is this manner.

Well I'm off today with some new setting to see how it goes.

Last edited by Smark32; 05-25-2009 at 06:01 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode