tank slapper!! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

tank slapper!!

im not talking about a cheap whore house either!! i went for a quick ride and ive been on this road thousands of times , theres some yellow lines across the road going OUT of a village, now i usually just accelerate over them an let the front wheel skip the tops if you know what i mean, well on this occasion i got in the most violent tank slapper ive ever experienced, quite how i stayed on i dont know i thought i was gonna hit a car coming the other way head on!! talk about shit yourself!!! the poor car driver wasnt amused either!!! .now i hadnt done anything different to how ive rode them before so i went back thinking id fooked up but no!! the local council had only built up the yellow lines so they wher nearly 3 times higher!! there was no warning signs etc. just goes to show that you can never be too complacent even on raods YOU THINK YOU KNOW. gotta say the standard ohlins steering damper was shit!! it should never have reacted so badly .anyone else unhappy with theirs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 11:47 AM

whew.

E d w a r d B4910s08

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Forum Introduction Thread)
2. Include your LOCATION in your profile: Tools > User CP > Your Profile > Edit Your details > Additional Information > Location
3. Include your BIKE MODEL/S in your signature: Tools > User CP > Settings & Options > Edit Signature
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Special thanks to forum member Donsy
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 12:37 PM

tank slappers are always good for colored underwear.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 12:51 PM

Just curious what your settings were on the damper. I have mine set quite tight. I have not personally experienced tank slappers on the Senna but my brother did and he said the damper did the job quite well!

2007 Senna #148/300
2012 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 02:44 PM

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but I think that it is important to remember that the function of the steering damper is not to prevent head shake, rather to damp the oscillations when they occur. Of course this is frequency dependent and the chances of predicting the correct frequency is virtually nil. So I would not expect to never have head shake just because I have a damper.

Now as for the cause of the head shake, one thing I would look at is your fork compression settings. What it sounds like happened was that when you went over the yellow lines (from you description is sounds like they may be small bumps?), you try to float the front end over them. If your forks are too stiff, instead of absorbing the bumps, the front wheel is deflected. When the wheel contacts the ground again if it is at all crooked it will oscillate about the steering axis (due to the restorative force created by the trail). I personally like to set my suspension to be very compliant, using only enough compression as necessary.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

my forks are set on mvs recommended soft setting. they can go softer but i havent tried tbh they seem fine everywhere else, the yellow lines where much bigger than before and i would imagine if you were in a car yopu would get serious vibes, has for the damper i have set on the hardest setting thanx for thoughts !!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 04:27 PM

Check your headstock bearings.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 05:52 PM

I also agree the stock Ohlins steering damper is terrible. Might as well take it off...

John
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 01:07 PM
Jason + Stanley Knife + D.I.Y = Casualty and

yep i had a similar problem last wednesday
went out with some mates and they pissed all over me 1on a 2000 gixer 70 other on an 05 r1
i got a couple of serious tank slappers while accelerating
and also found the standard suspension so fookin hard
its ok on moteroways and descent a roads but hit any shabby a roads and good b roads and the suspension is crap
i don't really know enough about adjusting it all and don't want to mess it up it stock settings
which is the best way to soften it all
thanks
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 04:40 PM

I found the handling /cornering improved no end when I slackened the steering damper right off. I just couldn't see what it was supposed to do except push me straight on in the corners.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode