Removing the ugly heavy catalytic converter on a 312R. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
Removing the ugly heavy catalytic converter on a 312R.

Hi all.
I have done a search of our archives and have found a few interesting posts on catalytic converters. My 312 has it's catalytic converter welded to the headers. From a previous post I think that's an indication that it's a "euro 3" spec bike. I can source the headers, no problem, but here is the issue you may be able to help me with.
There is a sensor that bolts into the link pipe just beyond the catalytic converter. I've attached some pictures.

I unplugged the sensor from the wiring loom and turned the ignition on. No worries. I then start the bike, warmed it up and it runs fine.
What is the sensor called and what is it sensing?
The reason I ask is that I'm going to remove the catalytic converter and replace it with a titanium link pipe. The titanium link pipe does not have provision for the sensor unless I have it altered. It's a round hole trying to get into a square peg.
Thanks,
Dave.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 08:10 PM
lee

Dave,

That's an O2 sensor which feeds the ECU info to regulate the A/F ratio. I don't know if it's required in your upgraded situation but if so the "bung" is threaded with an 18 mm hole and is a standard fitting readily available to be welded onto your Ti link pipe. Small potatoes this one.

I got mine. Boy do I ever got mine.
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Established Member

As Lee says it's a Lambda or O2 sensor, with the standard ECU it is needed (or at least a connector that offers a duplicate signal).

With the 'Race ECU' I believe it becomes redundant and may be able to be eliminated, however this is not a bad sensor to leave in (depending on the ECU programming), so if you can I'd suggest the replacement exhaust system also includes a Lambda probe hole.

Most bikes only utilise the Lambda probe below about 5000 rpm and at constant partial throttle settings (i.e. when cruising). At full throttle and when revving hard the systems will revert to a pure mapped ECU setting. I don't know exactly when the Lambda prope operates on the MV though.

Andrew...
post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
Thanks guys. I appreciate the info.
Dave.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 05:33 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Of course, you know you can't just weld the steel bung to the titanium midpipe like you would to a steel midpipe.
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 08:33 AM
lee

Sorry Caggie but oh yes you can. I have a guy who does my critical welding and he does it all the time with his Tig. He also works for Usair in the engine shop and does repair to Ti engine components.

I got mine. Boy do I ever got mine.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 11:58 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Uh, no you can't. When he is welding titanium, he uses more than just the argon from the torch.

Either he:

1) puts the piece in a sealed container so the complete atmosphere is argon, or
2) he has some sort of device rigged up that injects argon gas to the back of the area he is welding.

Feel free to correct me again if I'm wrong.

Do I sound smug? My wife says I sound smug. I don't mean to sound smug.

Last edited by CAG; 04-26-2009 at 12:39 PM.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 12:05 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
You can't just plug in a resistor to trick the ECU with flat lambda signal either (that's why the DynoJet o2 eliminator won't work on Euro 3 Ducati and MV among others, so you can't use the PCIII).

The ECU looks for a varying signal (which is what it sees with proper working o2 sensor) and triggers a fault/fail safe mode if it doesn't see that. There are o2 sensor simulators available from the hot-rod tuners that send a sine wave signal to the ECU. I bought one to test, but got a race ECU before I got around to it. About $50.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 01:48 PM
Established Member

I have removed the CAt from my 312, but I did it diferently.
Here is a description of the procedure:
http://mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14673
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 05:08 PM
Big Randaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Feel free to correct me again if I'm wrong.

Do I sound smug? My wife says I sound smug. I don't mean to sound smug.
My wife and daughter do that all the time....

And yes, Caggimundo, you do sound smug. I'd be hesitant to challenge the old troll. He seems to know what he's talking about when it comes to arcane stuff like this......

after all, how does one challenge a guy that plays the bag pipes?

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........

Last edited by Randarosa; 04-26-2009 at 06:44 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode