Suggestions before I tear into it please - MVAgusta.net
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Suggestions before I tear into it please

2005 F41000R
Bike was running well but not used for about a month when I first cranked it, it took a long time to fire, 4 or 5 times of pushing the starter for 10 or so seconds.
When it did start it sounded like it was only firing on 3 cylinders, smelled very rich like it was flooded and was popping and farting, erratic idle and sometimes would stall on idle. I also noticed a lot of exhaust smoke.
Charged the battery over night and tried again today but this time it would not start at all, tried a few times but all I got was a few back fires and a few farts, again the smell of gas.
All the electrics are working on the dash and the lights are on.
Before I start to diagnose and tear it apart has anyone got any ideas or suggestions where to look first.
When it was running yesterday I thought it may be a plug or a coil but why would it take so long to fire and if it was a plug or coil surely it would fire on the other cylinders?
FYI the fuel lines and filters, tank internal and external were changed last year.

thanks for any answers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 08:43 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Fouled spark plugs. Replace those before doing anything else. Fresh gas while at it (expect you already did that).

You have fuel, and you HAD ignition, and now you have fouled plugs.
gotojoe, gotojoe, RCEE and 1 others like this.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 10:21 PM

New Site Garage
Coil(s) and/or plugs. Change ALL the plugs when you check the coils.

Cheers

Deano
RCEE and RCEE like this.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 04:56 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
I agree on @esq'z me, fouled plugs probably caused by some starts where the engine does not reach it's operating temparature.

With some good battery power you might be able to get it running again. If so, make sure you warm up the bike proparly and all cilinders will come back. If unable to
start, change or clean the spark plugs.

XJ750SECA --> RD350LC YPVS --> CBX1000F --> CBX550F2 --> RD350RR --> RD500YPVS --> FZ400R --> F3675 --> 899PANIGALE --> 959Panigale
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 06:15 AM

Sounds similar to when one of my coils snapped, running rough on 3 cylinders.
Replaced them all at one go and then all good.
This was 2nd gen F4 however but I assume not too different in this area.

Dragster 800 2015
F4 RR 2013
F3 675 2012 Full Track Bike
Brutale 1090 RR 2011 - Sold
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 08:10 AM

With aircraft engines ic when the engine is flooded procedure is to open the throttle fully lean the mixture and spin her up to dry the plugs. The throttle lets air in...

This also works on all my bikes . You have to be ready to shut the throttle back to the tickover position as soon as it catches or you will rev the nuts off it.

joe
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies,
I will put in new plugs with new gas and check the coils, what is the procedure for checking the coils please and where do I get replacements?
I did do the wide open throttle thing but to no avail. Also on the first try when it started I ran it for some time to get it up to temp and see if I could clear the fouled plug, that didn't work either.
thanks
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 07:21 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

An injector was dirty and leaked residual fuel pressure into one cylinder fouling the plug
Since you know which cylinder put and inductive pickup timing light on that plug
wire it'll tell you if the coil is working

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 07:31 PM

Hi Guys! Missed you all! My family and I relocated to CT after Hurricane Maria hit PR. So now MY 2009 F4 has been to Miami, St. Croix, Puerto Rico, and is now here in CT! She has 12000 miles and will see some good roads finally! if anyone has a contact her in CT please PM me.

James M.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnicrow View Post
Hi Guys! Missed you all! My family and I relocated to CT after Hurricane Maria hit PR. So now MY 2009 F4 has been to Miami, St. Croix, Puerto Rico, and is now here in CT! She has 12000 miles and will see some good roads finally! if anyone has a contact her in CT please PM me.
DRMasis is close by and so is MVArthur

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode