f41000 need help - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Question f41000 need help

Hi Guys and gals,
Would appreciate you help from an MV virgin.
I am about to ditch japanese after years of blades, gixxers and R1's have seen my dream bike a 2004 f41000, its got 2300 miles and is immaculate, I've been and had a look at it and it reaches my high standards.What should I be looking out for in the way of what an go wrong with them? I don't really know any thing about them.Also the seat height is quite high for a short arse like me (5f 7) can it be adjusted?
I did not really like the flat finish on the footrest hangers and heel plates, has anyone had them polished?
What are the service intervals? and how will it compare to my gsxr1000k6 which has now gone?
Would appreciate your help before I part with money, 7k, is that fair price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 10:41 AM

Ok,

First welcome to MV Agusta net, its a nice place here with lots of good folk. I will give you my two pence worth (UK based rider).

A bike with that low a milage cannot be in too shabby a condition, look for service receipts an mot and any history the dealer or owner can show you. Book a test ride. In comparision to a modern Suzuki it will feel a bit heavy and a much more extreme riding feel. The MV can be height adjusted, and suspension can be tailored to suit shorter riders, I am 5 9 and my bikes fit me like a glove. The MV is fairly reliable, it is engine design wise an older version of a jap multi despite what some may tell you. Lots of the electrical parts are Japenese and reliable as well so all in a good prospect for long term ownership.

There are some well documented faults as well with the F4, including premature front and rear wheel bearing failures, the rear in particular can be very expensive if not caught in time. There has also been issues with radiators leaking. If the bike is being sold by an MV dealer I would expect all of these thuings to have been checked out. If it's a private sale budget in a good sevice and check over out of the sale price.

Basic servicing is no more expensive that your Suzuki, dont skimp on service intervals.

As for the footrests, me I did not like mine so went for a set of rearsets, there is a whole world of add ons and bits out there for this model, how deep is your wallet?

One thing you must do though is ride it, if your at all like me you will return pay the money and love it for the rest of your life.

Enjoy

jimboF4
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 11:16 AM
Established Member

Send a message via AIM to MVKyle
As far as service intervals for the MV...they will be at a lot less miles than your suzuki.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Cool f4 1000 thanks

Thanks Jimbo, thats a great help.
I will check all the history before I buy, do you know if the seat height adjustment is an easy job, I really don't like being tippy toed when at a standstill.
What do you think about the price 7k?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 11:46 AM
Hiya mate. I'm 5' 7" too, you can adjust the seat height by adjusting the rear ride height as it were (the adjuster is just behind the rear shock), but be careful, adjusting it too low will alter the turn in characteristics. There are a couple of old threads on this subject if you use the search function.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 01:33 PM

Hi ya Poodle,

Range of adjustment is pretty good, and should be able to accomodate you and still have a good riding feel and no bad handling traits. I would suggest pulling the forks up the yokes 3 or 4 mm at first and then try different preloads. The back has a ride height adjuster and is an easy adjustment to make. It may take two or three attempts to get it how you like it, dont be put off on a first ride. Tyre size and profile also comes into the equation, suffice to say I am sure it will work just takes time.

As for price if its as mint as you say and the docs all match up, 7k is in the ball park. Is it dealer sale with warranty? Private maybe a bit lower. It is a recession after all and its your money.

Best of luck.

jimboF4
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 03:08 PM
lee

Poodle- Buy it.

I got mine. Boy do I ever got mine.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 09:18 PM
Big Randaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee View Post
Poodle- Buy it.
Agreed, but we gotta talk about your moniker......
Just kiddin Poodle. I hope you enjoy our forum.

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 01:31 AM

Vs GSXR1000 K6

.. very close. I sold mine to get the MV. Suzuki's engine is a gem powerful at low revs and all the way to the limiter, this I think is a fair comment.

What I found with my 1078 is that is a bit more explosive in power maybe is the whole experience (racier position that suzuki, torque between 3-6K revs). Only thing is if the specific bike you are getting (04 model?) has enough power. That to be honest I do not know this is my first MV.

Reliability? Well to me they (MV) should fix some things, no excuse for a 2009 bike (compared to other bikes nowadays) to present any issues. In my case I had oil leak and even now pending issue with EBS relay. However if you have the patience its worth the experience.

P.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode