Bike won't start(or I might be an idiot(or both)) - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

Angry Bike won't start(or I might be an idiot(or both))

Bike: 2007 F4R (517 miles) I went for a ride following my friend around city streets at low speeds while she practiced on her new bike. Then we went for a ~4mile ride brought the bikes home and parked them over night. I went to start mine the next day, wouldnt start. WTF!?!?!

When I turn the key I can hear the fuel pump prime and the dash goes through its little routine. When I push the starter, the headlight dims, I hear a noise that sounds like the starter working for a fraction of a sec and then the fuel pump prime sound again. The bike does not turn over and but I feel something moving or wanting to move in the bike (I can feel a light tap and the same time the starter noise) when I click the starter. I have read the forums and people talk about kill switches. The kick stand light goes off when it's up so I assume that isn't the issue. The kill switch if off because the bike is try to fire. I can shit the gears around the (N)eutral light come on so it's not in gear. I checked all the fuses and they are good. I'm stumped.

The only time I have seen something like this before was when my dirt dike would overheat and cease up. But all I had to then was wait for it to cool down and she fired right back up.

Oh, I should also mention that I borrowed my metric wrench set to my friend so I am left with the MV tool pouch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 02:36 AM

basic trouble shooting guide:
1. handle bar kill switch - check it
2. in-gear kill switch - try also with clutch lever pulled in
3. side stand kill - though this should only effect it if in gear
4. fuse box
5. battery
7. Connectors - check they're all in properly and not shaken loose
8. nah it's F'ed - To the bike store, Tally ho...

sounds to me like either a battery charge problem or your spark plugs are not firing.
I'm not sure how easy it is to pull a plug out cause i haven't needed to yet but thats where i'd be starting....
might need to get you hands on a multi-meter

or try this:
http://my.agusta.us/Manuals/13.%20Diagnostics.pdf

B.T.W.(small one line hi-jack)( CAG or anyone else in the know) out of interest does the temperature sensor cut the engine at any point or does it just tell you that your an idiot for ignoring it? (if it goes to high)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timpants View Post
Bike: 2007 F4R (517 miles) (- mmm nice)

When I turn the key I can hear the fuel pump prime and the dash goes through its little routine. (- all Good so far)

When I push the starter, the headlight dims, (- happens but question is how much, could be battery) I hear a noise that sounds like the starter working for a fraction of a sec (should be working as long as button is pressed (first time)) and then the fuel pump prime sound again. (dunno about this) The bike does not turn over and but I feel something moving or wanting to move in the bike (I can feel a light tap and the same time the starter noise) when I click the starter. I have read the forums and people talk about kill switches. The kick stand light goes off when it's up so I assume that isn't the issue. The kill switch if off because the bike is try to fire.(Did you check it visually or just assume from noise?) I can shit the gears (bet that hurts, try shifting them... ) around the (N)eutral light come on so it's not in gear. I checked all the fuses and they are good. I'm stumped.

The only time I have seen something like this before was when my dirt dike would overheat and cease up. But all I had to then was wait for it to cool down and she fired right back up.

Oh, I should also mention that I borrowed my metric wrench set to my friend so I am left with the MV tool pouch.

Last edited by Snohman; 04-21-2009 at 03:06 AM.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 03:00 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I did all that stuff. I know the kill switch is not the issue because nothing happens when it's "on." I can also shift the gears, that works better that shitting them , but still same result. I just tried to jump it with the same result. I realized I cant get the battery out with out taking that support bar that holds the seat on (correct?). Is there some magic to jumping a bike?

Last edited by timpants; 04-21-2009 at 03:07 AM.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 03:13 AM

Also in that handy little manual next to your toolkit is probably a newer version of this: ('01 handbook)
Attached Images

post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 03:17 AM

Ruled out the Idiot part as looks like you've already covered the booklet's suggestions (unless you forgot to tell us you parked it underwater overnight)

ok if you tried to jump start it and got nothing:
(got the leads the right way round -dont take offense i'm just being thorough- positive to pos, neg to neg

then i'd suspect that your not getting sparks in the engine
time to check your connections, and plugs. if you pull one out, check it for fuel on the tip (wet/smell) as soon as you pull it out and that should rule out wether or not its a fueling issue

also check that link provided

Last edited by Snohman; 04-21-2009 at 03:33 AM.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 05:31 AM

If you tried to jump it but it didn't start then your battery is ok. I had a wicked issue with a dead battery. Jumping will work just fine. Also if the battery dies, the dash will die and will start to reset itself (like when you first turn on the key).

Are you able to bump start the bike? Put it in second, clutch in, run real fast then let out clutch and give the throttle a quick jab. If it starts that way at least you know the other bits are working.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 06:25 AM

+1 bump start it
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 07:59 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
If the engine won't turn over and all you hear is the starter relay clicking I think it is your battery. Did you measure the voltage? Is the battery charged? If your battery is not sending enough voltage to the ECU I don't think bump starting will work.

Charge the battery first and report back. Make sure the leads, both positive and negative, are tight.

Please don't assume that since the bike is an '07 and only has 500 miles on it the battery is fine.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
If the engine won't turn over and all you hear is the starter relay clicking I think it is your battery. Did you measure the voltage? Is the battery charged? If your battery is not sending enough voltage to the ECU I don't think bump starting will work.

Charge the battery first and report back. Make sure the leads, both positive and negative, are tight.

Please don't assume that since the bike is an '07 and only has 500 miles on it the battery is fine.
+1

B4 750S [sold]
B3 675R [waiting]
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 07:50 PM

If you've tried jumping and it still would not start, it could be the EBS relay playing up. This happen to my bike when the EBS was dying.

Alternatively there are two relays at the back near the ECU, (I can't remember the actual names of the relays) remove these relays and use some contract spray and try again.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode