F4 1078 RR 312 owners - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

F4 1078 RR 312 owners

Appreciate if anyone knows, does 1078 come with an EBS /relay?

Cylinders not working properly (on and off engaging) last few days so it must be an electrical issue.
MikeF4 Black, Stiv appreciate feedback please. Any similar problems? I ruled sparks, fuel filter, fuel tank dirt, fuel couplings out.. running out of ideas.

Thanks all
Phil

Last edited by PP1098; 04-18-2009 at 07:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP1098 View Post
Appreciate if anyone knows, does 1078 come with an EBS /relay?

Cylinders not working properly (on and off engaging) last few days so it must be an electrical issue.
MikeF4 Black, Stiv appreciate feedback please. Any similar problems? I ruled sparks, fuel filter, fuel tank dirt, fuel couplings out.. running out of ideas.

Thanks all
Phil
Hey Phil,
Yes is the short answer. If it's got ebs, it has a relay. Other threads have talked about this relay failing on other models (When it gets hot maybe?). Worth investigating to confirm the symtoms.
Hasn't happened to me but it sounds pretty annoying. Let's hope it's something as simple as a relay.
Sorry don't know part numbers.
Stiv
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 09:58 AM

Phil can you explain in some more detail what's happening and when? Also what you've checked?
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiv View Post
Phil can you explain in some more detail what's happening and when? Also what you've checked?
Thanks Stiv

I won't bore you with details, same like others who described the problem i.e. fuel smell, engine off balance, loss of power, 1-2 cylinders clearly not working. It is not heat related it first started after the engine cooled down. Checked fuel tank for any dirt/ moisture, couplings underneath, sparks all ok.
Thing is as per UK dealer, model 1078 does NOT have an Electronic Braking System! No clue what the problem is but its getting frustrating now..

Not sure if unburned fuel causes any damage to catalyst too.

P.

Last edited by PP1098; 04-18-2009 at 06:50 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 07:18 PM

I thought the 1078 got a true slipper clutch? So no need for the EBS system.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 07:27 PM

Actually, I think the 1078 are using both the EBS and a slipper clutch.

Edit: This is from MV's site:

Quote:
The second most important modification is the introduction of a slipper clutch that does not replace the EBS (Engine Brake System) but works alongside it. It is a mechanical slipper clutch system with ramps and roller bearings. The result is immense deceleration caused by backing off the throttle but it is progressive and thus allows the rider to pick better lines into corners. Having such an easy to manage engine improves a rider’s automatic reflexes, increases feel with the machine and makes riding it all the more satisfying. When really pushing the machine to the limits, the rider becomes more effective on both the road and the track, almost without realizing it.
http://www.mvagustausa.com/web-mvagu...F4_1078RR.html

Last edited by Allan Gibbs; 04-18-2009 at 07:29 PM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP1098 View Post
Thanks Stiv

Thing is as per UK dealer, model 1078 does NOT have an Electronic Braking System! No clue what the problem is but its getting frustrating now..

P.
Frustrated... I bet!

Don't know where your UK dealer is coming from. The bike has EBS. I've read lots of stuff about it before i bought the bike and of course you can hear it working growling back at you. You must hear it too.

Plus.. There is lots of documentation on it when you start looking.

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/attach...1&d=1230040417

and

The F4 RR 312 is fitted with an extractable gearbox that allows gear ratios to be quickly and easily changed. The Magneti Marelli 5SM ECU manages the widely acknowledged EBS system (Engine Brake System) that is fitted to MV Agusta engines. The concept is based on a solenoid-activated by-pass valve on cylinder N° 2 intake duct. The by-pass is situated downstream from the feed throttle that has a suitably shaped air intake. This device allows cylinder N°2 to produce torque even under deceleration (when the feed throttles are closed) thanks to a signal sent by the Marelli ECU. This EBS system is activated in conjunction with the new slipper clutch.

Haven't got a parts catalogue or a workshop manual for a 312r motor but it sure does sound like the EBS relay. Sounds like i better order a spare for myself.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 02:05 AM

Also may be a long shot and a last resort before you pull the rest of your hair out.....

Have a look at the manual for coil checking proceedures. Someone here may correct me but if the coils are grouped together in sets of two, there may be a fault affecting two cylinders?
I'm sure a few other things to check before you get to that.
Maybe your UK dealer could discount a Workshop Manual for you since you are a bit isolated with probs.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all for comments.

Apparently there is an EBS valve (I must inform my dealer by the way..) and I guess I ll find it, relocate it (for heat) and hope for the best. I must order a fresh part just in case.

Stiv finding a workshop 1078 manual seems impossible (I am waiting for 3 months now since purchase of the Bike).

Thanks again
P.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 09:08 AM
Established Member

Can we just remove the EBS system? on the 2008 and under F4 models, and just install a STM or another brand slipper clutch?

Motorcycling is “Art in Motion”
2002 Yellow Ducati 998 "For Sale"
2002 Yellow Aprilia RSV Mile R "For Sale"
2002 Yellow Suzuki TL1000R “Full Custom Sport Bike/195rwhp/N.O.S.” "For Sale"
Armin van Buuren “State of Trance get any year"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode