The Ride Day - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

The Ride Day

I just took the 1000R to the track for a ride day and I must say I was pleasantly surprised as to how well it behaved.

As a background, Iíve been attending track days for over 20 years now and the last few years has seen my Ducati as the ride of choice. The Ducati does not generally disappoint although these days it does show a noticeable lack in outright grunt on any of the straighter sections of the track.

The choice to use the MV was really simple, the tyres are almost illegal for street use but still had plenty of meat on the edges, so my plan was to simply ensure the tyres were fully worn out before relacing them.

The last track-day weapon I campaigned with an inline four had sufficient power to be able to power-slide out of most corners which was great fun until I almost high-sided one track-day. Deciding to ride the 1000R (which has more power than both the Ducati and the last inline four I rode) meant that I arrived at the track feeling some level of trepidation as to what the day would bring.

As it turned out I neednít have worried, the power delivery on the MV was smooth and the engine inertia fairly low, meaning I could slot it through the gears easily and without fear (flywheel induced wheelies up-shifting or wheel hopping on down-shifting). Power hook-up was excellent and wheel-spin was non-existent (basically I spent a lot of time on the rear wheel in the straighter sections) and I had no problem finding the throttle stop either.

I can also note that the 1000R has a nice step in the power delivery at 10,000 rpm meaning those last 2,500 revs happen even faster. My bike is fitted with the RG3 pipes and the matching RG3 ECU (the catalytic converter is still present though), this meant down shifting into slower corners was accompanied by a delicious sharp bark from the pipes as I matched the revs to the road speed, quickly followed-up with the pop and burble on the over-run.

The standard radial brakes were also excellent in feel and retardation and did plenty of work due to a combination of additional pace offered by the engine combined with the relative lack of engine braking (EBS) - when compared to my usual weapon of choice. That said, I donít win braking duels and I tend to enter corners cautiously and then build speed. This means often my fellow track users of similar pace are passing me or pulling away as we approach and enter the corner and by mid-corner Iím generally reeling them in again with the gap generally continuing to close until the brakes are needed again.

Regardless of the age of the basic design, the 1000R still has the goods and it certainly wasnít being embarrassed in a straight line (actually it was easily keeping pace with the other 1000ís) and seemed to be offering a distinct advantage to me out of the corners.

So if you havenít really stretched the legs of your MV, take it to a track you should be pleasantly surprised.

Andrew...

Boring Stuff for Tech-Heads

The conditions of the day were air temperature 20 Ė 22 Celsius, humidity 85% and higher Ė even some rain, I started the tyre pressures to 30psi front and 35psi rear expecting to need to let them down, the truth was the tyres worked well at this pressure so I left them alone.

The tyres were Dunlop (a tyre that Iíve never previously used in track conditions). I donít use tyre warmers (so need to take it easy for the first couple of laps each session) and by session end the tyre was generally quite hot to the touch (but still bearable). The tyres balled quite noticeably along the edges but didnít obviously slip or roll when cleaning the balls then in the next session either. You might notice I was really impressed with these tyres.

The suspension was also factory original and I noted some limited weaving on the faster corners and a slight tendency to pogo the front when releasing the brakes quickly so I should have added a little more rebound damping to the front. PS I weigh between 85 and 90kg and stand 6í4Ē

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 07:15 PM
Living the Dream

New Site Garage
i agree 100%, the MV really shows it's skills out on the track. Mine will be there on the 24th in NJ!

Any pics from the day?

Get busy livin, or get busy dyin
Motorcycle Art!
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this, going
flat out, than most people live in a lifetime.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeneggs&ham View Post
i agree 100%, the MV really shows it's skills out on the track. Mine will be there on the 24th in NJ!

Any pics from the day?
You're going with TPM???

I'm going to be there this weekend with NYSBC.

2005 MV F4-1000S
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 08:14 PM
Living the Dream

New Site Garage
Yeah, my first time riding with TPM, i am pumped b/c i have some new stuff for the bike (tire warmers, new iron rotors and pads) and this will be my second time there, so i can work on the areas that i wasn't as fast as i would have liked. A freaking awesome track, you will love it!!

Motorcycle Art!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeneggs&ham View Post
Yeah, my first time riding with TPM, i am pumped b/c i have some new stuff for the bike (tire warmers, new iron rotors and pads) and this will be my second time there, so i can work on the areas that i wasn't as fast as i would have liked. A freaking awesome track, you will love it!!
I put on some Acculign rearsets and set up my suspension so I'm looking forward to it. I also bought a camera mount for the tank so I may take some vid if my pace is respectable.

TPM doesn't allow cameras.

Congrats on the new parts. Which pads did you go with?

2005 MV F4-1000S
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 10:28 PM
Living the Dream

New Site Garage
I saw a pic of those rearsets in your album and they look pretty nice, i recently went to a solid set and really like the grip i get from them. From reading your other post regarding the front end problems of another member of the track, i have actually had some great results from the Power races (i have a set of track only tires), but i haven't had my suspesion setup so i am looking to do that as well. Please post some vid's from your day. I just read the thing about cameras with TPM and i am a little bummed, b/c i just put together a sweet camera setup with my race fairing stay, so i guess it will have to wait.

Back to your question, i went with the Ferado XRAC pads for the iron rotors. The rotors only had about 300 miles on them which means i didn't have to worry about rubbing off the black coating they initally come with. Hopefully, they will have the first chicane open at turn three, it makes the track so much fun! Turn two is also fun b/c it is an uphill blind turn that you just have to let the bike run out. All this talk about the track, makes me want it to be the 24th already!!

Motorcycle Art!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew View Post
I just took the 1000R to the track for a ride day and I must say I was pleasantly surprised as to how well it behaved.

As a background, Iíve been attending track days for over 20 years now and the last few years has seen my Ducati as the ride of choice. The Ducati does not generally disappoint although these days it does show a noticeable lack in outright grunt on any of the straighter sections of the track.

The choice to use the MV was really simple, the tyres are almost illegal for street use but still had plenty of meat on the edges, so my plan was to simply ensure the tyres were fully worn out before relacing them.

The last track-day weapon I campaigned with an inline four had sufficient power to be able to power-slide out of most corners which was great fun until I almost high-sided one track-day. Deciding to ride the 1000R (which has more power than both the Ducati and the last inline four I rode) meant that I arrived at the track feeling some level of trepidation as to what the day would bring.

As it turned out I neednít have worried, the power delivery on the MV was smooth and the engine inertia fairly low, meaning I could slot it through the gears easily and without fear (flywheel induced wheelies up-shifting or wheel hopping on down-shifting). Power hook-up was excellent and wheel-spin was non-existent (basically I spent a lot of time on the rear wheel in the straighter sections) and I had no problem finding the throttle stop either.

I can also note that the 1000R has a nice step in the power delivery at 10,000 rpm meaning those last 2,500 revs happen even faster. My bike is fitted with the RG3 pipes and the matching RG3 ECU (the catalytic converter is still present though), this meant down shifting into slower corners was accompanied by a delicious sharp bark from the pipes as I matched the revs to the road speed, quickly followed-up with the pop and burble on the over-run.

The standard radial brakes were also excellent in feel and retardation and did plenty of work due to a combination of additional pace offered by the engine combined with the relative lack of engine braking (EBS) - when compared to my usual weapon of choice. That said, I donít win braking duels and I tend to enter corners cautiously and then build speed. This means often my fellow track users of similar pace are passing me or pulling away as we approach and enter the corner and by mid-corner Iím generally reeling them in again with the gap generally continuing to close until the brakes are needed again.

Regardless of the age of the basic design, the 1000R still has the goods and it certainly wasnít being embarrassed in a straight line (actually it was easily keeping pace with the other 1000ís) and seemed to be offering a distinct advantage to me out of the corners.

So if you havenít really stretched the legs of your MV, take it to a track you should be pleasantly surprised.

Andrew...

Boring Stuff for Tech-Heads

The conditions of the day were air temperature 20 Ė 22 Celsius, humidity 85% and higher Ė even some rain, I started the tyre pressures to 30psi front and 35psi rear expecting to need to let them down, the truth was the tyres worked well at this pressure so I left them alone.

The tyres were Dunlop (a tyre that Iíve never previously used in track conditions). I donít use tyre warmers (so need to take it easy for the first couple of laps each session) and by session end the tyre was generally quite hot to the touch (but still bearable). The tyres balled quite noticeably along the edges but didnít obviously slip or roll when cleaning the balls then in the next session either. You might notice I was really impressed with these tyres.

The suspension was also factory original and I noted some limited weaving on the faster corners and a slight tendency to pogo the front when releasing the brakes quickly so I should have added a little more rebound damping to the front. PS I weigh between 85 and 90kg and stand 6í4Ē

Nice write up...makes me want to go to the track right now...

VELOCEMOTO HD The Art of Italian Sportbikes on film.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 12:06 PM
Established Member

Very nice read!

Motorcycling is ďArt in MotionĒ
2002 Yellow Ducati 998 "For Sale"
2002 Yellow Aprilia RSV Mile R "For Sale"
2002 Yellow Suzuki TL1000R ďFull Custom Sport Bike/195rwhp/N.O.S.Ē "For Sale"
Armin van Buuren ďState of Trance get any year"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 12:53 PM

+1!

how do you know you're power sliding? did someone tell you? i know i like to imagine that i'm doing it on every corner.

i can only imagine...

Last edited by style_one; 04-15-2009 at 12:55 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by style_one View Post
+1!

how do you know you're power sliding? did someone tell you? i know i like to imagine that i'm doing it on every corner.

i can only imagine...
You'll know when you've done it, the corner feels different. As the back begins to step-out the turning sensation changes from that of straight g-force compression through the bike to a lower sensation and the bike all of a sudden begins to turn tighter and needs to be corrected. You'll also become aware of a disparity between the engine speed and you're actual speed.

However, on one occasion I was chasing a fellow track enthusuast around a bend where the track camber changed from positive to negative mid-corner. This particular corner did not involve much leaning (knee was not in contact with the tarmac), as I crosses the corner apex I was really stretching the throttle cable and I became aware that the revs seemed to be building faster then I was accelerating. I saying to myself "I think the back wheel is spinning" and then thinking no real problem I do this all the time - at that precise point the world suddenly starts to move sideways (as the rear end attempted to overtake the front). At this point your next descision is critical - hold the throttle or not. I elected to roll off the power thinking the bike was still relatively straight and decided to not let go the bars under any circumstance.

Well fortunately for me I landed back on the bike, wobbled around the track for another lap to try to stop my heart from leaving my chest. Back in the pits I was all ready to tell the guys what had just happened, however it just so happened that at my moment one of guys was following me and got "the best seat in the house" view. He noted the bike was well sideways when I was thrown up into the air.

If you want to experience rear wheel steering, get your hands on a dirt-bike and got to your local moto-cross track. You'll learn all about front-end slides, rear-wheel steering, how un-fit you really are and general lose feeling bike control a sane speeds and without risking a very expensive crash.

Andrew...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode