120/65 f and 180 r tyre on 1000R? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

120/65 f and 180 r tyre on 1000R?

Anybody ever tried a different tyre combo on the 1000R, on the front a 120/65 and rear a 180 as per a 750 F4.

Riding both bikes back to back the 750 really does feel more agile and racey.

Regards

jimbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 04:02 PM

rake is also slightly different, and a couple of small other things.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Hi style one,

Yep know the rake is different and I have lowered the R a bit front and rear as out the box it did feel pretty tall. Still a bit higher than the 750 but getting close. I am not saying the R is bad far from it, just like the way the 750 feels.

Regards
jimbo
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 09:18 AM

New Site Garage
My 2001 750 F4 has 19/50 17 rear, not 180.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 06:08 PM

In my opinion, the best combinations of tyres on the F4 1000 are 120/70 and 190/55
In case you want to improve the maniability of the bike, you just should to extend the length of the threaded push rod of the rear suspension up to 31-33 mm.
By doing that, the stearing angle will be reduced and the higher weight will help tha bike to laydown quicker at the inlet of the corner and at the same time the bike will "stay down" itself up to the end of the corner.The result at the end will be a bike taht will allow you to make the corner at a quite much higher speed by using much less road width.
Lowering the front is something that seems to be very similar to rising the rear, but in terms of reactivity/maniability of the bike, is not really the same thing.
I hope you can understand my English...........
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 03:09 AM

I've just picked up my used 1000s, it's on a 120/70 and 180/55, at its lowest setting on the ride height but the forks are standard, not raised through the yokes. No idea how that compares to standard as it's the only MV I've ridden but I'm fairly sure it's going to be slower steering than standard.

I'm a shortarse so I'm thinking of leaving the ride height at its lowest, putting a 190/50 on the back and pulling the forks up a ring or two, the 190 should be 4mm lower than the 180.
Would that equate to standard geometry?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 03:30 AM

You will never get the 1000 to feel like the 750. The longer stroke and most likely heavier crankshaft of the 1000 engine will take some of the agility away.

Now, if you really want a super agile and nimble bike throw that poser F4 in the garbage and get a real bike - get a Brutale!!! Hehehe
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

Crash 2 much and Slappywhite

Jen and I do have a Brutale as well, and we have both just ridden the 1078 Brutale which was great fun. However in the pure handling stakes my F4 750 is just so well set-up and adjusted it feels more agile than the 1000R. I have played with preload, ride height, tried the forks up through the yokes and it still does not have the agility of the 750F4.

I dont think there is a "standard geo" really, these bikes are designed to be adjustable and are fitted with quality components so each rider can set a bike up for his or her personal preferences.

My personal thoughts are that the R was too tall as delivered, both bikes side by side the 750 is lower, and when ridden on track the 750 has a quicker rate of turn, even feeling slightly unstable in a straight line! But boy does it turn and drop in and is so easy to flick.

I might try swapping the wheels over at some stage just as an experimnt. Incidently the handbook of the R does quote the 120/65 and 180/55 as an option. I will try it and let you know how it felt for me.

Regards

jimboF4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode