Weighing my options - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Weighing my options

Hey guys,

I have a cost/value question about my MV, I wanted some opinions about what it would be worth with the following scenario.

Took my bike to the dealer a few weeks ago for the 7500 valve adjustment service and they found that the Exhaust Camshaft and 5 Valve Shim buckets were damaged. No idea how it happened or what caused it, I'm a long distance rider. Managed to pick up the parts from fellow forum members (thank you ducracer18 & CAG!) and was going to take it to the dealer to have them take care of the service & replace the parts. However, I recently (last week) got accepted into an academic program (university) that will be taking all of my time/money for the next 4 years. So I'm now thinking over my options, whether I fix it or not it'll most likely be put in the back of my garage on it's stand & be covered. I really won't have any time anymore for it.

My question is what do you guys think a bike like mine (2003 MV 750S 1+1) is worth with what I've just explained?

Additions:
Alot of Carbon Fiber, Tinted Windshield, Fast by Ferracci clip ons, Full Agusta Arrow RG3 exhaust (red), Ohlins front fork internals, LED Signals, and Suede Seat. Of course I would include the parts it needed to be replaced and a brand new set of Michelin Pilot Powers I just bought (uninstalled). You can check out the pics in my album to see it.

Thanks guys,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 06:14 PM

Unfortunately, aftermarket parts almost never add to resale value of the bike.

That said, I'm almost afraid to suggest a price for a non-running '03 750.

B4 750S [sold]
B3 675R [waiting]
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 07:24 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazer6 View Post
Unfortunately, aftermarket parts almost never add to resale value of the bike.

That said, I'm almost afraid to suggest a price for a non-running '03 750.
+1

Give this some thought. If you decide to sell it sell it with out the parts needed to fix it. Anyone who is interested in buying it to repair it will buy the parts himself and won't pay you retail for them.

Anyone buying it who already has an engine or is going to drop a 1000 engine in it doesn't need the engine parts.

If it were mine, I would put it in the back of the garage, cover it, and forget about it until I was in good enough financial shape to fix it.

Selling it as is won't bring much money. And disclosing the engine problem to a potential buyer is going to kill the price as well.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

"If it were mine, I would put it in the back of the garage, cover it, and forget about it until I was in good enough financial shape to fix it."

CAG,

This has got to be one of the wisest answers I've ever read, it makes so much sense. Coming from a guy who has bought & sold MV parts I appreciate your answer, I think if anyone would know the value of what we have here it's you. This may be exactly what I end up doing, it's a shame as the bike is perfect aside from these parts and wouldn't cost much more than the valve adjustment itself since they'd be in there anyway. But it is what it is.

Thanks,
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 10:10 PM

Penemase, this is my 0.02. It seems you're entering a doctoral program (?). My opinion is this - you will need some time to de-stress and spend time just to yourself. And riding is perhaps one of the best ways to do that. Having trudged through college...grad school...med school...and (just for shits and giggles), law school...I cannot over-emphasize the importance of just being able to get out to be "with yourself."

To that end, fix the bike, keep it covered if need be - so that when you have the few opportunities to go for a ride, you can. I have no clue what a 'valve shim bucket' is, but if you need bar-end expertise, I can (now) help you out.

But...DON'T SELL THE BIKE!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Obmot,

It's incredible how spot on you are! Not only regarding my education (Physical Therapy, not doctoral though) but getting out and riding. I wouldn't give it up altogether, I'd just get something not quite as costly to maintain/fix (Japanese). I guess I'm just a little peeved about the whole finickiness of our rides, they are so temperamental! Maybe I'm just special.

In regards to the "valve shim bucket", you don't ever want to find out. Trust me they're not cheap.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 10:52 PM

Well, you already have the parts so the costs will just be labor? I would suggest finding a competent independent mechanic and see how much that would cost vs. the dealer. That way, you can decide if you want it repaired or just store it.

If you sell it, I think it will need to be in running condition if you want more than $5,000 for it. What's it worth? Well, from recent posts, I think the 1000s are selling for $11 to $13K and trade-in is around $9,500 to $11K (prices I've got from two dealers). So, my guess is a 750 would probably go for $7K to $9K and depends on your location and how motivate you are to sell.

I think if you can get it repaired by an independent shop, then you can store it and sell it at your leisure. Could an independent mechanic do a good job:
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22235

Last edited by Allan Gibbs; 04-12-2009 at 10:55 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode