Did the F4 750s also have cracked radiator issues? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Did the F4 750s also have cracked radiator issues?

It just occured to me that I've had a 2000 and a 2002 F4 750 and both had twice the mileage my current 1000 has and were ridden in harsher conditions (pot holes, rush hour traffic, 110+ degree trips to Los Angeles) and neither had a cracked radiator issue. Also, I don't recall 750 owners posting issues like that.

If the reason for the radiators cracking at then upper, left side (the clutch side) of the bike is a mounting issue, then shouldn't the 750's also have the problem? I was under the impression the radiator from the 750 is the same as the 1000. I'm guessing that they don't because MV may have changed it's supplier when the 1000s came out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 12:21 PM
JDS
King of Bling

Send a message via MSN to JDS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Gibbs View Post
It just occured to me that I've had a 2000 and a 2002 F4 750 and both had twice the mileage my current 1000 has and were ridden in harsher conditions (pot holes, rush hour traffic, 110+ degree trips to Los Angeles) and neither had a cracked radiator issue. Also, I don't recall 750 owners posting issues like that.

If the reason for the radiators cracking at then upper, left side (the clutch side) of the bike is a mounting issue, then shouldn't the 750's also have the problem? I was under the impression the radiator from the 750 is the same as the 1000. I'm guessing that they don't because MV may have changed it's supplier when the 1000s came out?
Allan..

You've answer your own question correctly.. MV changed suppliers, although some of the early 1000S came through with old stock rads ( those for the 750 production run)..

Also, the finish on the rear sub frames went down hill slightly, with some of the coating coming away with time...

Someone on the forum made up a nice simple underside bracket that fixed or prevented the rad issue occuring on the 1000 models..

Hopefully they will read this thread and put up a picture of this bracket..

EMAIL :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 12:34 PM

I thought I had read here somewhere a lnog while back that due to many of the 1000s rads cracking, that something was changed (supplier?) to address the issue, thus replacement rads shouldn't be as vulnerable.

Perhaps I am not remembering correctly...?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post
Allan..

You've answer your own question correctly.. MV changed suppliers, although some of the early 1000S came through with old stock rads ( those for the 750 production run)..

Also, the finish on the rear sub frames went down hill slightly, with some of the coating coming away with time...

Someone on the forum made up a nice simple underside bracket that fixed or prevented the rad issue occuring on the 1000 models..

Hopefully they will read this thread and put up a picture of this bracket..
Thanks. I remember reading that thread and thought it was titled, "What MV Agusta should have done." I did a search for "radiator" but couldn't find that thread.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obmot View Post
I thought I had read here somewhere a lnog while back that due to many of the 1000s rads cracking, that something was changed (supplier?) to address the issue, thus replacement rads shouldn't be as vulnerable.

Perhaps I am not remembering correctly...?
When I did the search for "radiator", I found a few thread where someone received a updated radiator. They said the mounting section was a little beefier.

EDIT: I found the thread. It was Nicensleazy's thread for 7/2008. My current radiator was installed a year earlier. I think I may have the old design.

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showth...light=radiator
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 02:11 PM

Yeah Allan that's the post I remembered. My rad was replaced april/may '08 so I dunno what I ended up getting. Every time I hit a big bump though I get a queazy feeling!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 02:28 PM
JDS
King of Bling

Send a message via MSN to JDS
Yeah.. The early rads were strong and well built, but the 1000S, 1000R and some early 312 have weak rads ( poor QC from the supplier to MV)

The very latest rads have been modified to prevent this problem occuring..

I still think the idea of making an extra underside support bracket for the rad's is a good idea, as it helps to take some of the load bearing weight off the standard mounting points..

I did have a image of this modification, but have look everywhere in my files and can't find it...

EMAIL :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode