F4 Bar ends wont stay put - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

F4 Bar ends wont stay put

Hey everyone,

My bar ends, which I replaced to add a bit of weight and reduce vibration, won't stay put in the bars. I removed the screw and stock bar ends and replaced the bar ends with new ones. As I rode recently, the right screw kept sliding out. Fortunately the bar end didnt fall out too.

I have noticed that the long bar end screw goes thru the bar end and thence screws into a threaded rubber plug like thing. It appears (???) that the rubber plug like thing is supposed to (??) hold the entire works, by friction, inside the bar? It makes no sense to me.

I cant even explain it well other than to say when I pull gently on the bar end, the whole works comes out...bar end...screw...and rubber plug thing. What exactly is the bar end screw supposed to anchor to, other than the plug thing? Or is that it? And if so, how is the rubber plug thing supposed to anchor, other than by friction?

Completely baffled...help/comments appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 10:52 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
You are exactly correct. The screw anchors to the rubber plug thing. Tightening the screw expands the rubber.

So, you have either not tightened the screw enough, the rubber is shot and the nut embedded in the rubber is backing out or the rubber plugs are too small for your clip ons and are not expanding enough.

CAG
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks CAG that helps.

I think that since the "whole works" comes out I have been trying to put them back in wrong. Perhaps I should put the rubber plug inside the bar FIRST, and sort of shove it in with a screwdriver or something, and THEN put the bar end in, and THEN insert the screw and tighten?

The rubber on the plugs looks just fine, and the internal thread part is very secure and not stripped.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 12:20 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Put the screw threw the bar end and attach the plug. Tighten the screw enough to compress the rubber plug, but not enough that you can't fit it in the clip on. Press the whole assembly in the clip on and tighten the screw. It should be fine.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 12:29 PM

couldn't type it fast enough. CAG is on point, per usual.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 12:50 PM

If your stock 'rubbers' are shot , we have brass ones like the ones you find on the Ducatis that will work. Just let us know.

They look just like the ones we have with our universal barends. You will need the size B inserts and longer screws.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Motovation is now on Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Ball & Chain magnet

Send a message via Yahoo to Djester
make sure you have the rubber plugs going the right way so that when the screw is tightend, it will expand...if you have the rubber plug on the wrong way, it will not expand (just figured I'd say this as it has happened to me )

If at first you don't succeed, use a hammer instead

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Also be sure the rubber and inside of the bar isn't oily...the rubber will just spin instead of expanding when you turn the screw.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all - I'll give the above a try this Sunday when I'm out at the 'roost.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 10:08 PM

On my F4 1000 the entire front end won't stay put................on the road , that is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode