What the hell is that smell????? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

What the hell is that smell?????

I just went out and started the MV up...what the hell is that smell? It's fuel pouring out but where is it coming from?

Runs just great...smooth as silk but fuel dripping from somewhere up above mid engine point. I have removed the panels to see if I could visually locate it but can't immediately see where from. Any ideas?

I am in pensacola Florida...any idea where to take it? Only local Italian dealer is Ducati and Aprillia...nearest MV is in Atlanta (I believe still in business) or Tampa. 6 to 10 hour drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 02:58 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Diamond Motor cars?

That's a joke, they are out of business.

Check the plastic connectors under the fuel tank. They have been known to fail

CAG
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 04:16 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
Other possible sources:
1. O-ring seal around the fuel pump.
2. There is a drain plug at the bottom of the tank. It looks like a bolt with a nut and can be seen if you crouch down on the right hand side of the bike and look at the bottom of the rear of the tank. This is not likely to leak unless you or you mechanic has drained the tank and not properly tightned the bolt / nut system.

CAG is most likely correct. My guess also would be the plastic quick connector has broken at the point where it bends 90 degrees just before it enters the fuel pump. Get a friend to help slowly and carefully lift the tank up and angle it slightly so as not to pull any of the fuel lines (2), electricity supply to the fuel pump (1 cable), or breather lines (2 black rubber lines) and look for signs of the leak.
You can remove the quick connect fuel lines, disconnect the plug to the pump and pull the drain lines off the bottom of the fuel pump if you want to remove the tank for a better look. Just take your time, this should be an easy fix.

Don't run the bike again until this problem is solved.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 04:33 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
One other thing.
If you have the tank angled so you can see the bottom of the tank (before you remove any of the fuel lines etc.) and the fuel injection system it will be safe to turn the ignition system on to pressurise the fuel rail etc.
Wear eye protection to avoid pink eye.

This may help to find the leak if it is in another area other than the bottom of the tank.
Again, don't start the bike.

Last edited by The_castle; 04-05-2009 at 05:19 PM. Reason: "before you remove any of the fuel lines etc"
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 05:29 PM

Atlanta dealer ?

Hi, just wated to let you know that Atlanta Triumph Ducati and Mv Agusta have gone out of business. They were located just 2 miles down the street from where I live. I hated to see them go. They really helped me out at times. Try the one in Tampa. I think they are called Euro Cycles........
Jayden
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 06:44 PM

What CAG said.

B4 750S [sold]
B3 675R [waiting]
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 06:46 PM

Buy replacements and do it yourself--Quite easy: http://mvfaq.blogspot.com/2005/09/fu...-fittings.html

B4 750S [sold]
B3 675R [waiting]
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Big Randaddy

I noticed that this thread was titled "What the hell is that smell????" Posted by Johnyrottin......Before I even opened the thread, I knew the answer.....

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 09:11 PM

If the plastic 90 degree fitting is the culprit, it was recommended by an MV dealer to go back with stainless steel fittings. I don't have it in front of me right now, but the "Omega" company has some that work perfectly for around $55.00 for the set. I did go down to the parts store and get some of the green fuel resistant o-rings to put on them. Also, the Ducati guys go back with something that will work. I have seen these on Ebay under a "MV Agusta" search. If you do want to message me, I can give you the exact part numbers tomorrow. Shipping was very fast also.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swadley View Post
If the plastic 90 degree fitting is the culprit, it was recommended by an MV dealer to go back with stainless steel fittings. I don't have it in front of me right now, but the "Omega" company has some that work perfectly for around $55.00 for the set. I did go down to the parts store and get some of the green fuel resistant o-rings to put on them. Also, the Ducati guys go back with something that will work. I have seen these on Ebay under a "MV Agusta" search. If you do want to message me, I can give you the exact part numbers tomorrow. Shipping was very fast also.
From the FAQ link I posted above: OMEGA ENGINEERING, INC.

http://www.omega.com/pdf/tubing/coup...t-lcseries.asp

updated page: http://www.omega.com/pptst/ftlc.html -courtesy John/falcopilot

P/N FT-LCD100-04-VITON - Coupling Body or threaded part that fits into tank
P/N FT-LCD230-06-VITON - Hose Barb or part that fits on hose

B4 750S [sold]
B3 675R [waiting]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode