Thumb thoughts - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Question Thumb thoughts

Gentlemen, for us with 750's we've learned to live with the thumb pinch issue. But if we could solve it easily we would. What would be any of your thoughts or technical advice on heating the intake runner with a hot air heat gun and getting it soft. Then with a properly shaped template push thumb indents into the runner. It seems like less than an inch deep and 2 inches long would be all that is needed.
Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 10:58 PM

Not a 750 owner but you need to determine if the material is a thermoplastic or thermoset to if this is even possible. A thermoplastic will soften and become pliable when heated, a thermoset will not and heating may cause irreversible damage to the material, most likely making it brittle. Even when heating a thermoplastic, you must be careful to do it slowly so it can still hold its shape. Final point, some thermoplastics require a larger input of energy (heat) that can damage the surrounding parts. Don't use a hot air gun, as it will heat everything around the area. Use an electric filament heat source that can be controlled by adjusting the current and applied locally to the desired heating area. Start low and slowly build up the heat. Be careful and be prepared to replace that part. Heat a needle or a pin red hot with a propane torch and try to gently push it through the material (that is not visible and not important if there is a pin hole in it). If it can be pushed through, you are most likely working with a thermoplastic. It it wont push through with gentle pressure, I would give up.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Sir, thank you! Obviously you know your plastic and that`s exactly the kind of reponse I was looking for!
Quote:
Originally Posted by timpants View Post
Not a 750 owner but you need to determine if the material is a thermoplastic or thermoset to if this is even possible. A thermoplastic will soften and become pliable when heated, a thermoset will not and heating may cause irreversible damage to the material, most likely making it brittle. Even when heating a thermoplastic, you must be careful to do it slowly so it can still hold its shape. Final point, some thermoplastics require a larger input of energy (heat) that can damage the surrounding parts. Don't use a hot air gun, as it will heat everything around the area. Use an electric filament heat source that can be controlled by adjusting the current and applied locally to the desired heating area. Start low and slowly build up the heat. Be careful and be prepared to replace that part. Heat a needle or a pin red hot with a propane torch and try to gently push it through the material (that is not visible and not important if there is a pin hole in it). If it can be pushed through, you are most likely working with a thermoplastic. It it wont push through with gentle pressure, I would give up.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 12:43 AM
Established Member

Having owned both the 750 and the 1000 I know the problem you are talking about with the 750. On the 1000 the clip ons are raised slightly. Would it be possible to put a set of 1000 bars on to the 750. I'm not sure but I think the fork diameters are the same. You should be able to pick up a set on ebay easily enough.

MV Agusta 05 F4 1000
BMW 09 K1300S
Ducati 00 748R
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Thank you too. I`ll check into that also!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyF4 View Post
Having owned both the 750 and the 1000 I know the problem you are talking about with the 750. On the 1000 the clip ons are raised slightly. Would it be possible to put a set of 1000 bars on to the 750. I'm not sure but I think the fork diameters are the same. You should be able to pick up a set on ebay easily enough.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 02:28 AM

carbon intake covers

greetings.

I purchased my 750 2nd hand.

the previous owner had put carbon fibre air intake COVERS on to the air intake runners.

these are slightly depressed and give clearance for your thumbs.

they are only a top cover to the runner , not a complete substitute item.

dont know where he got them , didnt ask but they must be available out there somewhere.
sniff around.............
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 05:31 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
You can use the 1000 clip ons, or buy the Ferracci clip ons.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 05:57 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to drmasis
Take the easy route...cut off your thumbs!

06 F4CC
09 F4 1078RR
15 Multi 1200S
“Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”
― William Saroyan
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Haha, this bike is gonna cut off my thumbs for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmasis View Post
Take the easy route...cut off your thumbs!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 12:52 PM

3 options:

1. old casoli carbon fibre covers where you actually cut the tops off the intakes and added the covers.
2. use 1000 clip-ons...they do work and raise bar height
3. a trick someone posted years ago was to turn clip ons clamps upside down (750 clamps/tubes are separate). can't remember whether you have to switch sides or not.

obviously, #3 costs nothing and could be worth a try first then proceed to 2. step 1 is going to be your toughest bet unless casoli has an arm still in business somewhere.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode