SPR build thread - MVAgusta.net
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Al-

SPR build and late model engine swap

I've been putting off doing a writeup for a while as I've been rebuilding my SPR, but now that the Deal's Gap meet has completed I'm feeling confident in the proof of concept. For those of you who are purists or have weak stomachs, please move along. For the rest of us tinkerers, I hope we can share some ideas and general enjoy what a terrible idea this all was. I'm not the best story teller so please bear with me

My SPR was stolen in 2014, but thankfully the thieves never actually got it started due to a nagging electrical problem that I had yet to diagnose. In the receipts from the previous owner it showed an electrical repair at FBF and there were definitely some "worked on" sections in harness, so I'm going to assume that was the problem. Once the bike was recovered it was in pretty rough shape, partially from the theft and subsequent treatment, partial from the tow to the impound and storage there. About this time it started to become someone difficult to obtain oem parts and some of the SPR specific items were also pretty tough to find. I decided it would be better to slowly collect what I needed and rebuild it over time. I still had my brutale after all.

fast forward 1 year and a very very nice F4RR comes up for sale. It has everything that anyone would want in an F4, a full Ti exhaust, all the RR ohlins suspension, a microtec, forged marchesini wheels, absolutely stunning. Iím not really in the market for another F4 or another bike at this time, but wow. The price is more than fair, but the only issue is that the bike is in San Francisco and I am on the opposite coast. I few emails to the owner and I make a plan to fly out, ride down the PCH to LA and ship it home. Wheels are in motion so to speak and Iím anxious to get through wedding season and return to the US for the next leg of the MV adventure.

In SF I meet Robert who picks me up from the BART station and we go check out the bike, we ship all the spares back to Baltimore and share a cup of tea and some conversation before I depart for the first leg of my trip south. I planned to take a couple of days to explore the coast and some of the forest roads out that way, the weather is wonderful and I feel great to be back on an F4, and what an F4! Its running so smoothly, better than my other MVs by a mile. The suspension setup feels great, and very plush and Iím on top of the world with that feeling you can only get from a new bike.

I get breakfast in SF proper the next morning and head south about three hours stopping on Monterey Bay for lunch. While Iím eating at an outside table, I meet a gent who knows Robert and recognizes the bike and we chat for a little. Heís local to Monterey and has a garage full of MV parts.

Moments later as Iím finishing up my sandwich, I hear what I canít believe just happen. POWccrunch!

As I look over I see that the truck that had pulled behind my bike about 10 minutes earlier has pulled forward out of his space as though the bike wasnít there. Not only has it been knocked over, but heís run over it! Police, insurance, reports, etc etc and now its 3pm on a Friday and Iím stuck in Monterey with a broken bike.

I call Robert who calls his friend whom I met earlier, and he and his dog come pick me up. We spend the next few hours driving around to every Uhaul place in the city trying to get a truck to get me to LA. I end up with a huge box truck, loaded with a broken bike, a ruined vacation and a long drive to LA, which I end up doing all that day instead of enjoying the coast like Iíd planned.

Luckily some friends are in LA for a race, and Iíve got family nearby also on holiday so I try not to think about it for the next few days while I wait for my shipper.

A month or two later I pick up the bike from the shipper, and have the damage assessed at the same shop that did my SPR. This time there is damage to the frame where the steering stop has broken off and the bike is declared a total loss. It was a commercial landscaping truck that ran me over, so they pay for the bike, parts, truck rental, and anything else and I buy the bike back from them and consider what to do with it all.

Last edited by Al-; 10-07-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Al-

I finally take some time off of work in December and strip the RR to the bare frame, this takes about half a day or so. The newer F4s are assembled with a lot of fasteners and not a lot of artistic design like the previous models. As I’m taking it apart I note what is very similar and what is very different, but overall it’s a stepwise change from the previous models and many things are shared. Once I have the motor out, and I’m looking at it, I take some measurements. I bet this will fit into an older chassis!

The next day I strip the SPR as well and mount up the RR engine. It all bolts together! At this point the gears are turning and I’m thinking about what to do with this big pile of parts. Should I part it all out? Restore the SPR as planned? Reframe the RR onto another late F4 frame? Build a track bike? In the end, I decide to build the SPR with the RR engine that ran oh so silky smooth for the 3 hours I had it between SF and Monterey.

I take the frame and some other parts to be refinished, which doesn’t turn out well and is months late, then I take them somewhere else to be redone.

Meanwhile I fire up solid works and cut some block off plates on the CNC

And got distracted by this rusty Challenger for a bit, that also seemed like a great idea in my head.

Last edited by Al-; 10-05-2016 at 10:20 PM.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 08:19 PM

did you have the gold wheels on the bike at the Gap
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Al-

A lot of time went into planning what would and wouldn’t work, but as always it comes down to the wire. The Deals Gap meet is in a month and I’m still looking at a bare frame. Time to really get moving! after 6 months, my triple clamps from Style and Performance finally show up

At the end of day one I've got a roller

Next step is to lay out the wiring harness, I've decided to run the bike off of the 2012 electronics using the microtec and newer dash. I turn the key and it lives! motivation at the end of the first weekend.

From there I have to hack up the RR header and make some extension peices to mate to the SPR link pipe. This was basically just cutting off the cat and making a couple of bends under the sump.

trying to get everything mounted to the frame, I realize that its going to be 75% necessary to either make a custom ecu bracket or relocate it to the tail. For the sake of serviceability, I end up extending the harness to the tail using some nice teflon coated wire and a pretty amateurish concentric wire twisting technique.

My painter is almost finished with some of the parts, which are totally the wrong color, but there is no time and I'm just going to be happy to have it all one color

In order to fit the engine into this chassis, I had to assemble it with a single stage of 1000R injectors and early throttle bodies, which meant that I had no base map other than some VE estimations that I’d roughed in, and was praying that the autotune for the microtec would work a miracle. It is now the final week before the trip, and the dyno isn't working. I've gotten it mostly done with only hours to spare, but still no real tune and no real road test.

To be honest, it didn't run well, but the mapping got better and better during the weekend such that I was able to ride with everyone. I felt guilty because I was holding up the group getting my netbook out at every stop to tinker, but after the first day it got to a point where it was reasonable even though the lower throttle fueling was very soggy

Even though the bike was only about 80% complete, unmapped, and much of it still at the painter, it never left me stranded and never had to break out my meter to figure out some wiring issue, and never overheated. I’m going to call that a success for the maiden voyage.

So that’s pretty much it, I will update as I get things mapped out on the dyno which is now working, and hopefully again once I build the TSS back into the intake.

2004 SPR # 116
2012 RR engine
Microtec M227 with autotune
2012 RR ohlins forks
Marzocchi superbike rear shock
2012 RR swingarm
Marchesini forged Al wheels
EVR slipper clutch
Riding House Ti exhaust, SPR link pipe, and custom modified RR header
Dry carbon fairings

Last edited by Al-; 10-05-2016 at 09:02 PM.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Al-

Quote:
Originally Posted by number2 View Post
did you have the gold wheels on the bike at the Gap
i had them repainted after the truck rash was repaired
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 09:55 PM

What a story Al! And I saw it coming more and more alive.
Plus now we know that a new generation engine would fit in the first generation bikes.
And this is gold I think.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 10:30 PM

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Ian SAVS
Well done Al. Glad you posted all of that up, it is a hell of a build. Now that you are not under pressure do you plan to keep the rr engine in?

What we've got here, is failure to communicate.

03 F4750SR
07 F41000R
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 06:50 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Well done sir.....a lot of work. Can't wait to see the "finished" product.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Al-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian SAVS View Post
Well done Al. Glad you posted all of that up, it is a hell of a build. Now that you are not under pressure do you plan to keep the rr engine in?
I'm not 100% sure, for me the 1000 is a lot of engine and I'm pretty sure I could get the 750 running on these electronics. A forum member is currently after the spr engine so that may be the deciding factor.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 06:37 PM

Al if you keep the 2012 engine you won't need that Starlane dash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode