Best Engine Swap for 2002 F4? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Best Engine Swap for 2002 F4?

My 3200 mile, 2002 F4 Diamante just went in to shop here in Austin TX for engine tear apart. All indications are a bent valve. Minor clicking noted on a few rides prior, loud snap, rapid power drop followed by loud clacking in uppper right cylinder. Happened at @60MPH in 5th and after pulling in clutch the bike went to a fairly stable idle while I pulled off road and ran till i hit engine cut off within about 20-30 seconds. Thick cloud of black smoke from far right exhaust

I remain the optimist that I can effect a repair & keep bike original but in the case that only realistic option is an engine swap I'd really appreciate input from anyone that has either researched this option or completed the swap to either a Brutal or later model F4? Unfortunately I don't have time and expertise to repair/replace engine myself.

Thanks in advance & I look forward to hearing from fellow MV owners!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 12:54 PM

If you ve to add a new engine the 1078 is in my opinion the way to go!
Welcome to the forum
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Thanks! Newer & bigger would certainly seem better. If going to bigger engine aside from ECU any idea how much of '02 drive train components need to get swapped out as well?
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 01:35 PM

New Site Garage
Post Welcome to the forum.

Are you sure you're not a returning member mate ?
Open the motor before you make a harsh decision.
Either way, sorry to hear about your problem, you will have to swap out everything to do with wiring, ECU and fueling.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -

Last edited by Donsy; 05-09-2016 at 01:46 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Brutale engine into F4?

Appreciate any insight members would have on installation differences between the two engines the feasibility of dropping an '04 Brutale S engine in an '02 F4 frame.

I know a lot of people would question not going with 1000+ engine but buying engine & components a la carte (and hoping that its actually operational) is not an attractive option as I'd rather spend time riding than scouring internet. Additionally the larger engine would likely make upgrading suspension and braking a requirement. My riding style and the output of the EVO2 750 paired just fine so i'm inclined to think a detuned Brutale 750s set up for a little more mid range punch might fit even better.

I thought I had a pretty fair solution with purchase of a salvaged 04 SPR but could not make the deal work. Just have not been able to find another full donor F4 candidate.

Repairing engine does not appear to be an option. Looks like #3 cylinder leaned out and finally failed at 3100 miles. Bent valves and lots of pieces went through piston, scored cylinder lining and everything running through the lower end. I do plan to document the damage and preserve complete engine to keep with the bike. Who knows, maybe with 3D printing.....

Thanks in advance for anyone with some insight or references for this potential build!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 07:13 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

Donsy;
He's going from a 750 F4 to a 750 Brutale motor

Same ECUs and injectors........ different chip

He'll need remove the Brutale oil cooler adapter and filter mount and put the F4 filter

mount and heat exchanger on and the rear water manifold and plumbing but he has all

That stuff already

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 08:45 PM

New Site Garage
Lightbulb

Read it all Noel, before his last post there was mention of a 1078 motor, check the dates on the posts.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 10:25 PM

Wink ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Read it all Noel, before his last post there was mention of a 1078 motor, check the dates on the posts.
The OP didn't mention the 1078 someone else did, the posts were over the last 2 months .....so?

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Hey Noel, thanks for great info! Thats super helpful. The Brutale swap starting to look like the way to go. With two complete bikes side by side I should be able to get real close on parts to make engine swap work. Hopefully the 02 - 04 oil cooler, filter mount, heat exchanger & rear water manifold components are compatable but should be able to source those parts separately if needed. The brutale already has a power comander installed so getting it set up for F4 exhaust should work too.

There is a 1078 as an option but donor is in rough condition - the Brutale is solid.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 11:19 PM

Wink ?

rg02diamante:

The Brutale motor will need the filter adapter, oil cooler adapter and rear manifold

removed.....then remove the filter adapter, heat exchanger and plumbing and the rear

manifold from the F4 and bolt it on the Brutale motor

remove the air box clamps from the Brutale TBs

And put the Brutale chip in the ECU

Done

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode