35,000 kms too high for these bikes? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

35,000 kms too high for these bikes?

Hi all,

I'm a long time dual sport/adventure rider who's in full midlife crisis mode and would love to have a sport bike as a second bike for fun a few days per month. Mostly I'm interested in beautiful bikes, mainly Ducati and MV. Sadly, I'm not rich, but no kids so I have that going for me.

I came across a 2001 F4 750 with 35,000 kms on it. The guy is willing to trade for one of my BMW's so I'm intrigued. But I don't need a money pit.

Is 35,000 considered high mileage for these high performance beauties? I didn't think twice about my last BMW having 75,000 kms, I bought it and rode it 6,000 kms before I even changed the oil on it. But this is an arena with which I am less familiar.

What questions should I ask, what should I look for that are specific to this bike/brand/ not just general used bike stuff?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax maac View Post
Hi all,

I'm a long time dual sport/adventure rider who's in full midlife crisis mode and would love to have a sport bike as a second bike for fun a few days per month. Mostly I'm interested in beautiful bikes, mainly Ducati and MV. Sadly, I'm not rich, but no kids so I have that going for me.

I came across a 2001 F4 750 with 35,000 kms on it. The guy is willing to trade for one of my BMW's so I'm intrigued. But I don't need a money pit.

Is 35,000 considered high mileage for these high performance beauties? I didn't think twice about my last BMW having 75,000 kms, I bought it and rode it 6,000 kms before I even changed the oil on it. But this is an arena with which I am less familiar.

What questions should I ask, what should I look for that are specific to this bike/brand/ not just general used bike stuff?

Thanks!
If the bike serviced regularly and not abused it should be ok
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 09:12 PM
Big Randaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by number2 View Post
If the bike serviced regularly and not abused it should be ok
Agreed......proper service is the key.

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 01:02 AM
cus

My F4 has 55,000kms, my 750 B4 has the same and my 1078 B4 has 60,000 plus all of which are running sweet. Maintenance is the key.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 01:21 AM

New Site Garage
Absolutely no problem.

What a beast of a motorcycle!
It growls and rages and flies across the tarmac like a wild animal that has escaped the confinement of a cage and after merely waiting restlessly until the release, will not endure being locked up ever again.

Skye I miss you. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 01:40 AM

Questions -

Valve clearances done (Service interval 36 thou?) Can be a right PIA.

Fork service last done

Hub last checked? Or is it upgraded.

Water pump upgrade or impeller upgrade.

Check for any heat damage on the belly pan right side from the headers. Take the plastics off and look. while you are there look for any oil leaks. The valve gasket and sump gasket are reasonably common.

Check what size tyres are on it. Standard fronts are 120/65. Some 70s will fit, but many don't and will hit the guard/fairing. If it hits you will likely see a worn part in the middle of the lower rad guard.

Expect to change all fluids, but I do with any second hand bike.

2000 F4 750

Last edited by Glenno; 03-12-2016 at 02:14 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 05:42 AM

New Site Garage
Also make sure your paying the right money for it. If the MV market there is anything like the UK the are a glut of old 10yr plus F4 with under 3k miles on them (makes you wonder why they bought them?) so when it comes to selling on a high miler you'll have to factor in the competition when you price it?

Interested in anything that Sucks, Bangs and Blows!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode