F4 chain length question - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

F4 chain length question

I've looked around and can't find anything on stock chain length.
I am going to put new chain and sprockets on and I counted links and very strange the chain only has 108 links now I would expect about 118 my R1 has 118 my ZX10 118 links is it even possible for the eccentric to move the wheel that far? This is on my 06 F4. The bike seems to handle great, turns in what feels normal to me but that sure seems short, I'm running what I thought was the stock 525 chain and sprockets.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 12:08 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
It all has to do with sprocket diameter and swing-arm length.

108 sounds about right to me.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Ok thanks I think I mentioned stock sprockets either 14/15 front and 40 rear
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 06:22 AM

New Site Garage
You have two front sprockets ?
Why do people insist on comparing other bikes to their MV's ?

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Actually it has a 14 on it but I ordered a 15 also. Sorry I compared my MV to other bikes but I guess when something is so different it just raised a question in my mind and being that I just bought the bike used I'm not sure what the previous owner/ owners have done to the bike. I've seen people do strange things.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 08:09 AM

New Site Garage
We see this all the time man, no need to do the apology thing, it was not meant like that as I've said to you before.
Look at the workshop manuals as we provide them for a start point in cog size, chain length is down to hub position in this case.
The further back the better if you're going fast, everything else is your choice mate.

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 08:39 AM

I have a 14 and a 40 on my bike and I seem to remember 108 Links. Remember Rudy DO NOT EVER COMPARE AN MV TO ANOTHER BIKE!!! If you do you will be banned from the forum for a period of 3 minutes.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by number2 View Post
I have a 14 and a 40 on my bike and I seem to remember 108 Links. Remember Rudy DO NOT EVER COMPARE AN MV TO ANOTHER BIKE!!! If you do you will be banned from the forum for a period of 3 minutes.
ya, I kinda get that, reminds me of the ducati site I used to be a member of.
As far as the manual I did look there and couldn't find anything, I also bought a paper copy of the same manual off ebay to keep in my shop. See I have a brand new chain that I bought for another bike sometime back but when I bought it I hadn't noticed it came 114 links so I will be able to use it. Now to really start trouble I'm switching to 520 Ha.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 09:18 AM

New Site Garage
Smile Smart arse ----

Quote:
Originally Posted by number2 View Post
His name is Jim, number7

Which bike ?
I believe the 1078 runs the same 15/40 standard final ratios as most 1000's, but gearbox ratio's similar to the SPR 750 my dear Sir

Few members on this forum, even some very well informed, realise how much the MV geometry changes with the hub movement/rotation, very similar thing for some Ducati's and Triumph's, but not so for much for the conventional double sided swinger.

Just saying.

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 09:28 AM

New Site Garage
Unhappy Huh ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy2 View Post
ya, I kinda get that, reminds me of the ducati site I used to be a member of.
As far as the manual I did look there and couldn't find anything, I also bought a paper copy of the same manual off ebay to keep in my shop. See I have a brand new chain that I bought for another bike sometime back but when I bought it I hadn't noticed it came 114 links so I will be able to use it. Now to really start trouble I'm switching to 520 Ha.

I don't get the negative attitude Jim, ever since you joined we have done nothing but try to help you and point you in the right direction.

Quote:
Do I need to add a smiley face with all my comments in case I upset ego's here, I would have thought older guys are tougher

Why would you buy (it's your right thought) a paper copy of the manuals when you can download and print them for free from my site as indicated ?

No manual I have ever looked will give you a link count, for the simple reason as I just explained in above post.
On the MV you have, chain length is determined by sprocket size and hub rotation location, simple when you look at it.

Just buy a 118 link and chop to size !

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

Last edited by Donsy; 02-04-2016 at 09:51 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode