F4 engine rev question - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
F4 engine rev question

This question applies to the 2005 and 2006 models.

I was currently looking at a 2005 MV Agusta F4.

Here comes the question.

While revving the engine in neutral - a quick turn and let go - rpms go only up to around 4K and than fall right after - the bike behaves as expected.

Now, I disengage the clutch, shift to the 1st gear. While the clutch is still disengaged, I rev the engine the same way and it seems like it lost power and it doesn't rev as fast.

Is that normal or is there an issue here? Shouldn't the engine rev the same in neutral and in gear while the clutch is being disengaged? I was told the bike has something like a launch control and that kicks in??? I don't think that would change the revs.

Also another thing was, while taking off slowly, the bike gains lots of power at around 2,300rpm, but not much under that. The only aftermarket stuff is the whole Brembo brake set-up, titanium corsa headers and the mid pipe. Under the seat I noticed the power commander unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 04:57 AM

New Site Garage
Yes, with the clutch in it is a bit restricted. Not sure how it really works.

What a beast of a motorcycle!
It growls and rages and flies across the tarmac like a wild animal that has escaped the confinement of a cage and after merely waiting restlessly until the release, will not endure being locked up ever again.

Skye I miss you. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 04:58 AM

New Site Garage
The mapping changes in the ECU from when the bike is in Neutral compared to when it's in Gear, this will explain your first question.

The way the bike runs when you're riding it, is purely because of the way it's tuned, doesn't sound like it's been done very well, there's your second question.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 06:04 AM

I read somewhere that is a feature so you can't easily/accidently pop wheelie or flip the bike when you give it a fist full of revs in 1st gear.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 06:12 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Very normal....clutch drag is one thing....another is all modern bikes have ignition and fuel maps in first gear to control acceleration......yep, keep you from going over backwards, but also enable smooth take-off and fast starts.......many bikes have specific maps for every gear.

Aftermarket sells "Timing Retard Eliminators" for the drag race crowd. And also devices to trick some bikes into thinking they aren't in top gear when they are so they can get beyond the 186 mph gentleman's agreed top speed..

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 01:23 PM
Established Member

Merc07 here on the forum is very familiar with the throttle response issue in neutral vs. in gear. It's programming in the eprom that is responsible. He writes custom eproms that either eliminate or improve it.

I bought a 339 mile '05 F4 1000s four years ago that was completely stock. That throttle thing bugged hell out of me too, but it is completely normal. It is not any sort of 'launch control'.

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode