My crazy route to an F4 - Page 3 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 01:14 PM
JWA
Established Member

Wow - what a freak accident. So glad to hear that you are ok and that your gear did its job.

Best of luck with putting the bike back together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehg View Post
Less than 2 weeks ago, I was the proud owner of a mint 2008 312R with 3500 miles. My first sportbike and my first MV.

I'll be totally honest. The 30 mile ride home, a portion in rush hour traffic, the rest on rural twisty backroads, was the most visceral, aural, exhilerating and terrifying motorcycle experience I've ever had since I first swiped the keys to my roomate's GPZ1100 some twenty five plus years ago and taught myself to ride.

I came not even close to pushing the MV to its potential, never kissing the redline limit or unleashing a quarter of the 183 horses. Exactly ten minutes into the ride home, still in urban Seattle and with the heat rising off the bike, I wondered immediately if I had just made a big mistake. The ergos of the bike were all wrong, my legs and knees and wrists felt contorted as if I was in some kind of medieval rack where they place people who haven't paid taxes to the crown.

It wasn't until I hit the freeway and had a chance to crack her open just a bit, enough to hear those four Arrow trumpets wail like an F1 Ferrari, that I started to smile. Hitting the rural twisties, it felt incredibly odd and unfamiliar to me, same way I felt when I tried to follow a buddy up a muddy clay rutted hill after I brought my Husqvarna enduro out to play in the dirt for the first time. I've been riding a big flat wide handle-barred KTM, and pushing the MV around with my body felt foreign. I probably looked like a total squid (only a well-ATGATT'ed one) taking corners at ridiculously slow speeds. The Husky took me a while to get familiar and comfortable and so will the MV.

Hitting the last few miles to my house, I chanced to pass a few cars and cracked open the throttle cautiously, then a bit more (still nowhere near this beast's limits). That crazy wail began filling up my ear canals and its shriek bouncing off the cars, causing the drivers to wonder where in the hell a Ferrari had suddenly appeared out of thin air.

This bike was twelve kinds of wicked.

By the time I got home, I had become one with the pain in my lower back and wrist, but twisting that throttle past 5k rpm was like pushing a morphine button after surgery...the pain just seemed to fade away.

Less than 48 hours later, the 312R was lying on its side on the freeway.

The incident was caused when an ambulance ahead of me drifted onto the shoulder and a very large object shot out from its rear wheels directly into my front tire, blowing the tire and bending the rim back, locking it against the caliper (thereby locking the wheel), and slamming me on the highway for a nifty slide at 60 mph in heavy traffic.

Thanks to the gods shining on me, other motorists making quick and smart decisions, and my decision to be wearing excellent Motoport gear, I limped away from the crash, nothing broken. The 312R was torn up on the right side where it slid, but thankfully no tumbling. I was happy to emerge relatively ok, all things considered, but really really bummed about the mint 312R now bloodied.

Because I sincerely believe that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, this week I located and purchased a mint 2007 F41000R, with 1350 miles, less than ten miles from where I bought the 312R. I also bought back the 312R, which my insurance totaled.

The 312R is absolutely rebuildable. The frame was ground down a bit on the right side, but not dented or bent. The rest of the plastics (nose, rear, mirrors) suffered predictable rash. The forks look fine, though the bottom features some nice rash.

To get it ship shape as a track bike, the 312R needs:

1. New front rim/tire
2. Right side fairing
3. windshield (cracked)
4. front brake lever
5. rear brake pedal

The question is really what to do with it. I can keep it as a parts bike, as nearly everything is transferable. Or I can add those 5 items, and now I've got a track bike/beater that I needn't worry about crashing.

I had a crazy thought to build it back as a Brutale style naked bike - a true canyon hooligan, with a more upright bar, and leaving the side fairings off, but fitting some sliders, or adding cheap track fairings with a matte-black finish. But the main obstacle seems to be locating a triple clamp, plus new cables, that would accommodate a wider flat bar like the brutale has.

Would appreciate all thoughts about the options and task ahead.

Hopefully these pix will show:

The 312r pre-crash (moment of silence):

The bent wheel:

The replacement F1000R

Wow! What a story...
That sucks, but the most important thing is that you got away "ok".
My first F4 only lasted about two weeks too....
Heal up fully and put that 312R up and running again.
The only good part is that now you have two F4's
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 10:29 AM

Dave

If I rode a bike and lived in a city named Fall City I would move or quit riding a bike

George
post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

A recent trip to Escondido netted me a new windshield and RH OEM fairing! Thanks Moto Forza! And I have a source for race fairings in case...

So other than small rash on the nose, mirror and tail, which can be addressed by the body shop, and the rashed up frame, everything is ready for the rebuild. Just have to find time.

Feeling much better now too, though I can't seem to shake a recurring shoulder stiffness and cramp. More PT might fix this.

Ordered up a new Motoport suit, and got the crashed one repaired.

Can't wait to get the 312 on the road. I took the 1000R out for a quick spin, it felt just great. That sound.... like morphine for the ears.

2019 Honda Monkey / 2014 Brutale 1090 RR / 2014 KTM 1190R / 2012 Triumph Bonneville SMQ / 2008 FJR 1300 /2009 Husqvarna TE310 / 1966 Metisse Desert Racer (2008 312R - sold; 2007 F4 - sold).
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 07:21 AM

I've got a pair of Ultralite wheels if you need some...I don't want to split them though.

joe
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Joe, but was able to score a pair of ultra lights in the states.

2019 Honda Monkey / 2014 Brutale 1090 RR / 2014 KTM 1190R / 2012 Triumph Bonneville SMQ / 2008 FJR 1300 /2009 Husqvarna TE310 / 1966 Metisse Desert Racer (2008 312R - sold; 2007 F4 - sold).
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehg View Post
Thanks Joe, but was able to score a pair of ultra lights in the states.
You did good. Theyre hard to find particularly the fronts
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Finally found time to pull the front wheel. It was tough, the bent wheel was almost folded up around the caliper. Removed the caliper bolts, then the right side rotor, and finally was able to get it loose. Going to wait a few days till the weather improves and take it out for low speed ride around the hood to see if she's wiggly.

I reused the rotor bolts but added Loctite. Should I have gotten new ones?

post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 05:10 PM
Formally know as Drew Kelley

That is always the prudent thing to do after a crash.

Drew
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Well, the 07 is gone, traded in on a Brutale 1090 RR.

Thanks to all the great help here, I've got the 312R back in action. I even scored a red powder coated frame from an 07 F4 in mint condition. It looks like the frame replacement is quite the chore, so maybe that will wait for a while. The 312's frame is usable but a bit ugly.

I'll keep the 312's frame with the bike if I do swap for the red frame - the 312 frame can be repaired and I suspect twenty years from now if these bikes ever become highly collectible, someone will want the original frame.

That just leaves the mirror, nose, and rear cowl with some light rash, easily repainted.

But the dilemma that made me sell the 07 1000R for a Brutale remains - I love the bike but it is painful for me to ride for more than an hour. I don't like keeping bikes just to collect them - would rather ride them. It would be fun as a track bike, though, if I ever decide to track it.

I've got about $5.5k into it with the buyback and all the replaced parts. What would you do - keep it or sell it? What's a rebuilt 312R with a salvage title worth?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode