Disabling the EBS, and track issues - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Disabling the EBS, and track issues

Hello gang,

would like to know if anyone has ever tried to disable the EBS system on a 1000S ? Mine is piss*** me off, the bike kinda stumble and misses from time to time while descelerating, this gives the gearbox a kick and it's really unpleasant to ride...I'd be interested in the procedure if someone has tried...

Just back from a track session, 1st time with the MV althou I'm a decent rider on the track with a 250, I just couldn't understand the F4:

Strong points= power power and more power the thing is very powerful, in the straights no problem keeping up with anything out there...! braking I liked, and the general feeling of the rear end which provides a lot of feedback.

Bad point= The throttle is very abrupt is slow openings, reapplying throttle past the apex is..... interesting... regardless of how careful I was to re-open the throttle, the power surge kicking in would unsettle the bike, so much that I had to ride around by selecting a higher gear to make the surge more "rideable" Has anyone experienced this ?
Didn't like the front end, a bit vague, but again I'm used to the 250 so it must be normal, plus I didn't take time to adjust the damping.

thanx for your help !

cheers

Erick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripleinside View Post
Hello gang,

would like to know if anyone has ever tried to disable the EBS system on a 1000S ? Mine is piss*** me off, the bike kinda stumble and misses from time to time while descelerating, this gives the gearbox a kick and it's really unpleasant to ride...I'd be interested in the procedure if someone has tried...

Just back from a track session, 1st time with the MV althou I'm a decent rider on the track with a 250, I just couldn't understand the F4:

Strong points= power power and more power the thing is very powerful, in the straights no problem keeping up with anything out there...! braking I liked, and the general feeling of the rear end which provides a lot of feedback.

Bad point= The throttle is very abrupt is slow openings, reapplying throttle past the apex is..... interesting... regardless of how careful I was to re-open the throttle, the power surge kicking in would unsettle the bike, so much that I had to ride around by selecting a higher gear to make the surge more "rideable" Has anyone experienced this ?
Didn't like the front end, a bit vague, but again I'm used to the 250 so it must be normal, plus I didn't take time to adjust the damping.

thanx for your help !

cheers

Erick

Erick,

Don't know about disabling the EBS but the throttle abruptness on the MV is a result of the single butterfly and will never be quite as smooth as the dual butterfly bikes but if it is causing you this much trouble then you need to tune you CO%> I would say your suspension needs to be adjusted aslo as I have not ridden another bike that is as rock soild as the MV in the front end, which seems to be the general consensus.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 01:03 AM

First thing I would spend most of my time would be to setup the suspension correctly for your weight and intended use. Setup the sag first then the rest. Have a setting for street setting and track setting.

Then get the TPS and CO2 checked and general tune, ie plugs, filters etc and adjusted to spec. At the sametime remove one of the throttle return spring. This will solve most of the stumbling issues - the 1000s is smooth compared to an early 750.

I love the EBS as I can barrel towards a corner and drop a couple of gears without locking up the rear tyre. The EBS engine reminds me of highly strung two stroke race bikes...lovely.

Change the rear sprocket a teeth or two and see how see feels, you'll notice a big difference as the engine will be reving slightly higher at the same speed. I find that when riding in the twisties street riding you'll be able to get on the power earlier with the sprocket change.

Ride the 1000s like a two stroke, ie try to keep the revs above 7000rpm or higher and keep her in the meaty powerband. Don't lug the engine down to 4000rpm, she needs to be freee and reved to redline. The engine is bullet proof and design to take the punishment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripleinside View Post
Hello gang,

thanx for your help !

cheers

Erick

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!!

Last edited by minime; 01-28-2008 at 01:06 AM.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

Hello lads !

first thanks for the input ! I guess I should have provided more details about the bike first:

accessories fitted: RG3s AGO and the ago chip, cat removed.
The bike was setup 4 months ago, respecting the FAQ, TPS, TB's adjusted, CO set to 5% (as recommended by Varese as I know someone over there), plugs and filters changed. The second spring on the throttle body was removed before the track day.
This really cured a power problem it had, as the bike was lacking grunt compared to the Jap opposition
(Now It's laughing at the rice bowls on any straights.)

On the suspension front, I set the static sag to 5mm at the rear, I admit the vague front end is surely linked to an inappropriate damping, this is not bothering me much as I can dial it in progressively. The abrupt engine behaviour is more problematic for my riding style (I usually ride an aprilia RS250 on the track, so I tend not to break the apex like on a 4 stroke, but rather stay longer on the angle keeping a little throttle opening, hope it makes sense as it's hard to explain...)
I will check the throttle balance, and I'm ready to set the trimmer to a lower CO value if you guys think this may solve the issue, knowing that the bike will rarely be on the track anyways.

the kick in the nads as the bike slows down is really annoying too, I don't get the symptom on the track, but quite often in town riding.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 10:21 AM

In regards to the throttle opening abruptness this is what I did and it helps. First thing is to adjust the slack out of the throttle cable. Twist the adjuster out until the idle speed increases and then back it off a little until the idle is not affected. Make sure to turn the handlebars to make sure the idle speed doesn't increase when the bars are turned lock to lock. The fueling needs to be adjusted. If you installed a power commander you can richen the fueling in the very small throttle openings. In the absence of a power commander you can richen the idle CO% (which is what I did) which does basically the same thing although it will affect fueling throughout the range. It's a trade off. I used to race a TZ250 so my riding style is typically to trailbrake to the apex then transition from brake to throttle so being able to modulate the throttle is very important to me. Hope this helps.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

Hello Rob !

Thanks for the tip ! I will try that !!
Glad someone coming from the 250 world is there, make it easier to get understood...

PS: I'm getting a chip made for me by my friend in Varese, this chip will disable the EBS completely (the EBS opening is controlled by the Weber-Marelli ECU)
I will report back as soon as I try it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode